OEC
Other ... Please post your thoughts
[Show Results]

OEC or OMC?
[-]
  •
07-24-2014, 06:59 PM,
OEC or OMC?
What say you? These are all the same diamond ... no switcheroo or tricks. Just a simple question. I think OEC based on pattern, but not certain as description listed "transitional OMC to OEC".

Sparkly eye candy found at thefacetlounge.com!

Quote this message in a reply
[-]
  •
07-24-2014, 07:48 PM,
RE: OEC or OMC?
Hard to tell, but I'm going to go with OEC.

One day, I'll be a crazy old lady weighed down by all my baubles and it will be glorious.
[-]
  •
07-24-2014, 10:18 PM,
That's a gorgeous example of a classic OMC! Look at the quilty faceting around the crown, and the mad kozibe!!! And that humongous culet! LOVE!!!

Erica D.
Owner/Designer
Love Affair Diamonds
[-]
  •
07-25-2014, 04:21 AM,
No expert but looks like OMC, beautiful-

On other sites, I am aka JadoreDiamonds or ArtdecoLover71 but trying to keep it to one name now :-)

*loving all things diamond, old and new, with art deco flare!
[-]
  •
07-25-2014, 04:43 AM,
Thank you! So the appearance of the more symmetrical flower petals in the center does not make it an OEC? Huh

It really doesn't matter to me what it is called; I am just trying to learn how to spot the differences. Smile

[-]
  •
07-25-2014, 06:34 AM,
I guessed omc...which is anti climatic since @EricaD has already said so. Lol. I think it is the facet patterning that gives it away. Smile

[-]
  •
07-25-2014, 08:56 AM,
I voted OMC. Not sure why, it just looks like one to me.

Joseph Schubach Jewelers
please email jenniferc@schubach.com for quotes and inquiries
Visit this user's website
[-]
  •
07-25-2014, 05:57 PM,
This is a super classic "old mine brilliant" as GIA likes to call them. The petals under the very center near the culet look different IRL than in an OEC. They are almost always darker.

[-]
  •
07-25-2014, 09:02 PM,
Can anyone attest to whether these facet pattern representations are accurate (from http://tofeljewelers.com/pics_large/oldminecuts.html) or does anyone have a side-by-side comparison pics of both options?

Old Miner

Old European

[-]
  •
07-25-2014, 09:21 PM,
By the way, the stone I posted pictures of was identified by David Atlas as "transitional old mine to old European cut". It has a fairly round shape, but maybe retains much of the old mine cutting pattern with big culet? Huh

Again, either way, it's really beautiful. But trying to learn these cuts is so challenging because there are so many opinions and articles describing them, and they all have contrasting descriptions to some degree.