OWD Diamond colors
[-]
  •
07-18-2014, 04:35 PM,
OWD Diamond colors
Okay, here is what I was talking about - two diamonds, both egl certed, both cushions, and both graded M color:

http://www.oldworlddiamonds.com/detail.p...&SHAPE=any
Sparkly eye candy found at thefacetlounge.com!

http://www.oldworlddiamonds.com/detail.p...&SHAPE=any

Disagree Please, someone explain to me how these are both M's when one looks like big bird. Huh

Quote this message in a reply
[-]
  •
07-18-2014, 05:12 PM,
RE: OWD Diamond colors
I would ask to see the certs. It is either a typo or a very bad photo. I have two old cuts, one is an L EGL USA and the other is an M GIA and they look closer to your first photo.

L-EGL USA

M-GIA (not certed but graded by GIA standards)

Visit this user's website
[-]
  •
07-18-2014, 05:37 PM,
EGL is also notoriously inaccurate. Generally speaking, and EGL cert will be 2 grades off on colour (by GIA standards) after J, and one on whiter stones. Clarity will also be 1-2 grades off usually. But it could be worse! And maybe in this case they are worse.... lol.

Joseph Schubach Jewelers
please email jenniferc@schubach.com for quotes and inquiries
[-]
  •
07-18-2014, 05:49 PM,
(07-18-2014, 05:37 PM)jenncent Wrote: EGL is also notoriously inaccurate. Generally speaking, and EGL cert will be 2 grades off on colour (by GIA standards) after J, and one on whiter stones. Clarity will also be 1-2 grades off usually. But it could be worse! And maybe in this case they are worse.... lol.

I recall you mentioning that, but in this case, except for a couple points, these are identical stones on paper & color grade by EGL ... But in the pictures, they might as well be D and Z color graded stones.

How does that not raise an eyebrow at OWD? Huh

I am not actually interested in these stones; I was just browsing for examples of different color stones. And seeing how inconsistently their stones seem to be represented, I really would be nervous buying from them if it was a serious size/cost stone purchase. Confused

[-]
  •
07-18-2014, 06:23 PM,
because it is the EGL and that is somewhat expected. It has nothing to do with OWD. This is why many people refuse to buy an EGL stone, and ask for GIA or AGS certing before purchase. It is really not a reliable lab. With my own diamond, it is EGL, and I took it to the GIA to make sure.

Joseph Schubach Jewelers
[-]
  •
07-18-2014, 06:38 PM,
EGL USA (from labs in NY and LA) is not necessarily inaccurate or unreliable but the grading is clearly more generous than GIA. So if you hold GIA Certs as superior, then by comparison an EGL USA cert can be perceived as inaccurate. I think as long as you know what your dealing with, you can find a beautiful diamond with an EGL USA cert, a GIA cert or for that matter no cert. As far as diamonds go, beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

I still think the photo is off or the there is a typo on the site. I would email or call Adam and ask if you are curious. He is most cordial and willing to chat. I have bought from OWD and it was nothing but a positive experience. In the end you have to see the stone with your own eyes to decide if it is for you no matter what the documentation says.

more info here:
http://www.ascotdiamonds.com/diamonds/difference.aspx

[-]
  •
07-18-2014, 06:49 PM,
^^^ I agree, but as far as variances in colour grading go like the 2 diamonds pictured, that is why. With diamonds, and old cuts in particular, the most important thing is what your eyes see. And all experienced vendors will be able to talk about your stone options with you and find you the perfect diamonds for your needs, regardless of what a cert says.

Joseph Schubach Jewelers
[-]
  •
07-18-2014, 06:54 PM,
If I was shopping for one of those stones, I would definitely email him. But I am not really; I was just browsing kind of for educational purposes to understand stone colors. It just struck me as off that the same lab would grade two very similar size, cut stones both as Ms when they are so different in color as night and day to my eyes, and I am almost zero color sensitive! LOL

[-] The following 1 user Likes EricaD's post:
  • MicheleZ
07-19-2014, 12:05 AM,
I would expect the real life color of an EGL M to be in between those two pics, but more towards the whiter looking stone. An EGL M will be warm (GIA-equivalent O/P, maybe) but not big bird yellow. It just has to be the way it was photographed, or something? But it's kind of extreme - very odd indeed.

Erica D.
Owner/Designer
Love Affair Diamonds