Octagonal Edwardian Platinum OEC Reset
[-]
  •
12-31-2013, 11:29 AM,
Octagonal Edwardian Platinum OEC Reset
When I got my lovely 8.5mm OEC moissanite, I loved absolutely everything about it, and everything about the setting ... just not necessarily together. Don't get me wrong, I love warm stones (as I've said elsewhere, I'd say mine is the equivalent of an N-O-P range diamond), but the contrast between the white melee and the warm center (see photo below) bugged me a little.

Sparkly eye candy found at thefacetlounge.com!

Soooo ... vintage octagonal Edwardian platinum setting (with no sidestones) to the rescue!

I popped an OEC spinel (was rather proud of doing my own setting, there!) in for six months or so ....

... but apparently, 6mm does not satisfy the size queen in me, no matter how lovely the setting.

Sooooooooo ... I had the OEC reset into the octagonal setting, and the old tapered step setting is going to get a bezeled opal down the line. In the meantime ... pics galore!

Quote this message in a reply
[-] The following 3 users Like Circe's post:
  • JuBe, moissypaws, PimpMyRing
12-31-2013, 11:34 AM,
RE: Octagonal Edwardian Platinum OEC Reset
I really love this stone in this setting. It reduces apparent body color considerably: now it looks more or less the same in hue as my EGL J anniversary ring. And the little boost in visual size provided by the bezel frame doesn't hurt, either!

[-]
  •
12-31-2013, 11:34 AM,
@Circe I love the new setting! I agree that my moissy shows better without side diamonds as the color difference bothers me too. Where did you find that setting? I'm looking to reset my OEC and I just looked at Hugo kohl and cannot find a setting for an 8.5mm stone Sad
What size is your OEC moissy?

I envy your nerve to pop the old stone out! I'm impressed!
ETA. You set your stone yourself? Eek! Wow

[-]
  •
12-31-2013, 11:42 AM,
That looks awesome Circe! And I adore you ruby ring with the band. Perfection.

Joseph Schubach Jewelers
please email jenniferc@schubach.com for quotes and inquiries
Visit this user's website
[-]
  •
12-31-2013, 11:49 AM,
Woah, attack of the giant photos! A pause for a word from our sponse - er, Photobucket - as I quickly try to resize things.

Sandeek, thank you! I found mine on eBay, being sold by a pawn-shop ... I'm guessing the original stone was either popped out for a more modern look by somebody who inherited it as an heirloom, or it was recut, or goodness only knows what else. It took a while to find it, but it was worth it!

Mine is 8.5mm, too - the setting was intended for a 6mm stone (that's the one I set), but my custom guy (who is possibly the most manually talented human being I've ever met in my life - seriously, he does everything from carving cameos in mother of pearl to laser welding to micro-pave to enamel to you name it) is the one who modified it for an 8.5mm stone by welding on prongs. He's a champion. Smile

[-]
  •
12-31-2013, 11:50 AM,
I love it!

[-]
  •
12-31-2013, 11:51 AM,
I absolutely love everything about your rings... Breathtaking! LoveLove
Thanks for posting Heart

"Be yourself; everyone else is already taken"
Oscar Wilde
[-]
  •
12-31-2013, 11:53 AM,
It looks beautiful in that setting..:-) I just love everything about it..:-)

[-]
  •
12-31-2013, 12:02 PM,
ARGH! I went and resized them and they are still appearing to be enormous - my apologies for that, ladies. But the show must go on, so .... Toofunny

(12-31-2013, 11:42 AM)jenncent Wrote: That looks awesome Circe! And I adore you ruby ring with the band. Perfection.

Jenn, thank you! I feel like I might be verging on "too much" territory, but since one of my heroes put it best when he said too much is never enough .... Banana

[-]
  •
12-31-2013, 12:03 PM,
(12-31-2013, 11:50 AM)MrsK Wrote: I love it!

Thanks, MrsK!