Oec chipping?
[-]
  •
09-11-2014, 10:45 AM,
Oec chipping?
How likely is it that a 6.5mm sized moissy OEC would chip if set into a low basket pronged solitaire? I feel like I should get a bezel set ring to protect the stone because I'm terribly uncoordinated and klutzy. And all I keeping is that if I Chip the stone I'll be heartbroken because I didn't buy a back up. Am I being too cautious?

Quote this message in a reply
[-]
  •
09-11-2014, 11:23 AM,
RE: Oec chipping?
Get insurance on your ring......it hardly costs anything!

And all my OEC's are in prong settings and I live on a farm!!

But remember diamonds chip also!!!

Visit this user's website
[-]
  •
09-11-2014, 11:56 AM,
Insurance is a good thing, but it won't replace your OEC espeically if they aren't available for purchase. While a bezel is a good way to protect, it is possible to harm your stone with any type of setting! I would just wear your jewelry smart and take off your rings when you're doing anything that can harm them like dishes, gardening, cleaning, working out etc..

[-]
  •
09-11-2014, 08:03 PM,
Moissy can & does chip, even during careful setting; sadly, I know this from experience. Sad

A bezel would be good protection for the girdle when it's being worn, but as JJB said, being mindful of removing jewelry for dirty jobs is very wise advice because the crown being taller leaves it exposed to possible bumps and chips as well.