Oil slick?
[-]
  •
06-13-2013, 05:41 PM,
Oil slick?
Ok I have seen this before on my solitaire but I have recently noticed that my new rose cut band is covered in it! It looks different though. It's not just a little spot here and there but it looks like the entire surface of each stone is covered with it! I don't wear it everyday and certainly not in the shower, doing dishes etc. My solitaire which I do wear almost daily doing all that stuff and that I've had much longer has zero weird oil slickery stuff on it. I notice that its not super obvious in most lighting but when the light and angle is right it looks down right icky! I tried soaking it in warm soapy distilled water, I tried a bit of vinegar, and regular jewelry cleaner with no luck. I just don't know WTH happened to cause this?? I am not sure if its always been there and I'm just now noticing because i don't wear it a lot??I am just kinda frustrated at this point. I tried to capture it in pics and will post them shortly. Any advice or suggestions are welcome Smile

Pearl pressure is a terrible thing...for my wallet.
Quote this message in a reply
[-]
  •
06-13-2013, 05:52 PM,
RE: Oil slick?
I don't think there's anything different about rose cuts, but all my jewelry gets oily quickly. I just use dishwashing liquid and baby toothbrush on mine, rise well and air dry. Usually does the trick...
P.S. Be sure to clean the bottom of the stone with a toothbrush too. Since rose cuts are thin, maybe the dirt at the bottom is making the top look oily? Can't think of any other reason...

[-]
  •
06-13-2013, 05:59 PM,
Thanks Julia, I have tried that, I had the same thought about the underside, but still no luck.

Apparently photobucket is being weird now! Ugh!
- See more at: http://s213.photobucket.com/user/mamacas...FHnew.dpuf
- See more at: http://s213.photobucket.com/user/mamacas...waKeP.dpuf

[-] The following 1 user Likes MicheleZ's post:
  • Dragonfly
06-13-2013, 06:07 PM,
Could that be polishing on the underside showing up?

Maybe get it professionally cleaned?

[-]
  •
06-13-2013, 06:10 PM,
Weird... Have you tried dipping in alcohol? Or take it to a jeweler to steam clean?

[-]
  •
06-13-2013, 06:14 PM,
I read somewhere on BTD forum that when they polish moissanite sometimes there is a residual left on the stone from polishing. It can be remove with vinegar or toothpaste. They mention other products but I can not remember.

"Don't worry, be happy!"
[-]
  •
06-13-2013, 06:58 PM,
I've removed it with a baby toothbrush and toothpaste, my stone seems to attract this stuff like crazy (I think the sanitizer at work has a lot to do with it) so my rock needs a good scrub down every couple weeks. My reasons for thinking this is because my earrings have NEVER had this issue.

[-]
  •
06-13-2013, 07:05 PM,
yeah I would try magic eraser. Smile Or Poppy maybe, had luck with Turtle wax. I had it on one of my stones. But I got it off and it has no come back. Smile

Joseph Schubach Jewelers
please email jenniferc@schubach.com for quotes and inquiries
Visit this user's website
[-]
  •
06-14-2013, 11:12 AM,
Hey gals, thanks so much for all the tips/suggestions. I tried the toothpaste scrub, followed by magic eraser and it worked! They are all sparkly and back to awesomeness now!

[-]
  •
06-14-2013, 11:17 AM,
YAY!

There's broke....and then there is whatever I am...*cry*