Okay, what the heck did I buy?
[-]
  •
10-02-2013, 03:59 PM,
Okay, what the heck did I buy?
I bought a bracelet on eBay that was listed as vintage, paste, and sterling. Instead, it is a modern reproduction, it is CZ, and I have my suspicions about the metal. Here's the original listing: http://www.ebay.com/itm/261294707707?ssP...1439.l2649

I am strongly leaning towards returning it, but I want to figure out what it IS before I decide. I mean, the thing is ... this isn't a cheapie. The bezels have enough tiny variation that they look hand-made/assembled. I'm assuming it's either some designer's diffusion line, or a design sample, or who the hell knows. Does anybody recognize this?

Sparkly eye candy found at thefacetlounge.com!

Quote this message in a reply
[-]
  •
10-02-2013, 04:11 PM,
RE: Okay, what the heck did I buy?
It is pretty but it is sure not paste. Any kind of metal stamp - do you think it is sterling? If it is then the price might be ok. Black rhodium plated maybe? the clasp is kinda cool looking. Will you wear it and do you like it? It certainly will not look like all your other paste true vintage collection.

[-]
  •
10-02-2013, 04:14 PM,
Hmmm. I am not going to be much help, but I will say it is gorgeous.

I think it is def a repro too, and am a little un-comfy that there are no identifiable hallmarks. On the plus side, it looks pretty darn well made.

(I told you I would be no help)

I get distracted by shiny things
[-]
  •
10-02-2013, 04:17 PM,
No hallmarks anywhere as far as I can tell, but it just doesn't *feel* like sterling, somehow. Thanks for looking, guys ... methinks I will be messaging the seller tonight.

[-]
  •
10-02-2013, 04:18 PM,
I definitely think its a reproduction, but a good one! Perhaps the listing should have said vintage inspired! I think it's still lovely, and not sure paste vs cz's. I don't think I would be able to tell the difference!! As far as the metal, you could always bring it to a jeweler to get it tested! It looks darker than normal sterling, but maybe there was some treatment done to the metal to have it be a bit darker?

[-]
  •
10-02-2013, 04:24 PM,
They're modern cuts - paste is almost always old cut. I can test the metal at home, but by the weight/feel, I'm guessing something like black rhodium plated brass, maybe.

[-]
  •
10-02-2013, 04:26 PM,
I do not know what it is, but I think it is really pretty! It depends how much it cost, for me to know if I would keep it.

Joseph Schubach Jewelers
please email jenniferc@schubach.com for quotes and inquiries
Visit this user's website
[-]
  •
10-02-2013, 04:29 PM,
I would send it back and leave negative feedback. Based on other feedbacks that I read (positive, neutral and negative) I think they know that they are not selling paste and sterling.

[-]
  •
10-02-2013, 04:37 PM,
(10-02-2013, 04:26 PM)jenncent Wrote: I do not know what it is, but I think it is really pretty! It depends how much it cost, for me to know if I would keep it.

That's a big part of it: I would not pay this much for a repro.

[-]
  •
10-02-2013, 04:39 PM,
(10-02-2013, 04:29 PM)Sparkly Blonde Wrote: I would send it back and leave negative feedback. Based on other feedbacks that I read (positive, neutral and negative) I think they know that they are not selling paste and sterling.

It does seem suggestive in this context, doesn't it. When I ordered I figured, eh, always a few disgruntled people, right? STUPID of me.