Ooops impulse purchase... now need to know what colour metal for tranny diamond ?
[-]
  •
07-21-2014, 07:04 AM,
Ooops impulse purchase... now need to know what colour metal for tranny diamond ?
So yesterday I couldn't bear the thought of anyone purchasing the 0.61cts, K colour, SI2 transitional cut diamond that I had been ogling on Mydiamondzone on Ebay so I decided to snap it up pronto!

Here is a pic and video for those that havent seen it yet:

Sparkly eye candy found at thefacetlounge.com!

Now of course the only problem is how to set it! The diamond has been graded a K colour, if it were you, what colour metal would you set it in? Does setting a lower colour diamond in plat or white gold actually make the diamond appear whiter when set?

I have both yellow gold, white gold and rose gold wedding bands so any of those colours would suit. (Though I do prefer white and yellow gold over rose gold.)

Mydiamondzone has a setting that I like - it's dainty and will look nice stacked with my diamonds bands,
BUT it only weighs 2 grams and this seems a little flimsy to me so I'm exploring other options.

Feel free to post pics of any dreamy antique/vintage settings that you have seen recently. I need some inspiration!!

She who leaves a trail of glitter is never forgotten
Quote this message in a reply
[-]
  •
07-21-2014, 07:54 AM,
RE: Ooops impulse purchase... now need to know what colour metal for tranny diamond ?
I'm not well versed with old cuts but I like your stone. Love that checker board look. Lovely! The setting looks nice but I've no idea if 2 g setting is filmsy though. Will be following your setting journey!

[-]
  •
07-21-2014, 08:39 AM,
RE: Ooops impulse purchase... now need to know what colour metal for tranny diamond ?
I had a setting from MDZ that I was in love with also, but worried it was too light in weight (it had filigree though and a fair amount of it so I was afraid it might not hold up for long if it was bumped). If this is an otherwise solid shank save for the diamonds in the shank, it might not be too light.

ETA: congrats on the stone! Can't wait to see what you think of it in person! Smile

[-]
  •
07-21-2014, 08:52 AM,
Cute! I hope you LOVE the diamond in person... if you couldn't stop thinking about that one, it's probably great news that you didn't let it get away from you! Transitional cuts have so much character! Heart

Fishtail prongs in white metal make diamonds/white stones look bigger and more cushiony at first glance, so I like the idea of the fishtail prongs in white gold to visually plump up the diamond... not that .61 carats is small in the real world! I would probably go with a solid gold shank with some kind of detail work/engraving instead of side stones, but I'm a weirdo that likes plain shanks.

[-]
  •
07-21-2014, 09:09 AM,
I think that diamond would look great set down into a vintage octagon setting! Congrats!

[-]
  •
07-21-2014, 09:22 AM,
Haha! Those "impulse" purchases are great, hmm?! Crackup Congrats on following your heart/Buy It Now button! Tongue

White gold, to my eye, suits the warmer colored stones better. My avatar HW-style is M and the head/shoulders are in PLT. It would look much warmer in YG. If you like warmer, then YG is dandy! I like the two-tone of mine so that I easily stack it with WG or YG. I tried it with inexpensive thin RG bands, as well, and the metals looked just fine together.

If you have long fingers, you have lots of mounts to choose from. If you have shorter fingers, you may want to choose something that will stack easily (as in, take up less finger real estate, LOL!) / comfortably. Shy

[-]
  •
07-21-2014, 09:33 AM,
I think white gold also. Forgot to add that.

[-]
  •
07-21-2014, 09:49 AM,
(07-21-2014, 09:09 AM)idahosubaru Wrote: I think that diamond would look great set down into a vintage octagon setting! Congrats!

Congratulations @Bling It On on your new diamond. Smile Sometimes impulse purchases end up being the best pieces, you just never know. I really love the idea of a vintage setting like the one Idaho pictured ^^^ for your stone!

[-]
  •
07-21-2014, 10:15 AM,
I would go WG or Platinum for a setting too so the stone isn't too warm Smile

[-]
  •
07-21-2014, 10:23 AM,
(07-21-2014, 10:15 AM)JooJooBee4 Wrote: I would go WG or Platinum for a setting too so the stone isn't too warm Smile

yup. exactly that!