Patterns?
[-]
  •
01-11-2014, 09:28 PM,
Rainbow  Patterns?
Is cut/ pattern important on colored gemstones? I thought I once saw a post where someone was talking about a checkerboard pattern vs. other patterns? I'm thinking again of putting a colored stone into the antique setting Dizzy Thanks!

Quote this message in a reply
[-] The following 1 user Likes jenncent's post:
  • moissypaws
01-11-2014, 09:34 PM,
RE: Patterns?
yes cut is important. There are aesthetics to it as well, but you really want a cut that works with the gem and that does not leave you with windowing.

Joseph Schubach Jewelers
please email jenniferc@schubach.com for quotes and inquiries
Visit this user's website
[-] The following 1 user Likes Bluespawkles's post:
  • moissypaws
01-11-2014, 09:38 PM,
(01-11-2014, 09:28 PM)moissypaws Wrote: Is cut/ pattern important on colored gemstones? I thought I once saw a post where someone was talking about a checkerboard pattern vs. other patterns? I'm thinking again of putting a colored stone into the antique setting Dizzy Thanks!

I'm not certain exactly what you mean, but at least for me cut is very important on colored gems. It helps them display their color without huge windows, and keeps them at the right amount of sparkle. I think well cut gems will almost always blow non-well cut gems away. Now some stones are so rare that they have to preserve size instead, but those are the exceptions. I haven't fallen in love with any checkerboards personally. Have you looked at some of the gem vendors recommended on pricescope? I got pretty familiar with colored gems by being there and looking at those vendors.

[-] The following 1 user Likes JooJooBee4's post:
  • moissypaws
01-11-2014, 10:03 PM,
Cut is definitely important to me when selecting a colored gem. It can make a world of difference for performance and what looks cheap vs good quality! Like bluespawkles said there are good resources of gemstones on PS! Are you looking for natural or lab grown ones?? Any type of stone in particular? I love gemstones!!!

[-] The following 1 user Likes OoohShiny's post:
  • moissypaws
01-11-2014, 10:08 PM,
Darn tooting cut is important with colored stones!

I also second that checkerboard cuts have never won me over... yet.... I am certain there is one or two hiding out there in sparkle land waiting to steal my heart though! I 'never say never' when it comes to sparklies.

I get distracted by shiny things
[-] The following 1 user Likes MrsK's post:
  • moissypaws
01-11-2014, 10:43 PM,
I echo what the others have said, cut is important on colored gemstones too.

[-]
  •
01-12-2014, 04:33 AM,
However in coloured gemstones, cut and colour are about equal when talking about the value/pricing of a stone right?

[-]
  •
01-12-2014, 08:39 AM,
I will look on pricescope, thanks everyone! And I'll read up on what the terms are, I don't know what windowing is. I'm thinking of a red or blue round stone, 8 mm round if I can find that. I really need to read up on everything Smile Thanks!!!

[-]
  •
01-12-2014, 11:27 AM,
For example, what would any of you say about this stone? I'm still reading on Price Scope, it's very interesting.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2CT-GENUINE-ROUN...1c3b09d040

[-] The following 1 user Likes jenncent's post:
  • moissypaws
01-12-2014, 11:29 AM,
Precision cutters like John Dyer, Barry Bridgestock, Dana Reynolds all have tremendous skill in maximizing the brilliance and cut of the stone and minimizing, if not eliminating windows.

Joseph Schubach Jewelers
please email jenniferc@schubach.com for quotes and inquiries
Visit this user's website