Pearl ladies, help a sister out?!
[-]
  •
04-17-2014, 10:53 PM,
Shocked  Pearl ladies, help a sister out?!
I really know nothing about pearls but I love them!

I find them to be SO pretty and classy so I'm going to ask for a pearl necklace for my upcoming birthday gift from the fiance Banana

Do these pearls look like good quality to you?

Or should I school myself on pearl basics before eyeing them up?

This necklace is advertised as Light Cream-Rose Akoya Japanese Cultured Pearl Necklace

Sparkly eye candy found at thefacetlounge.com!

Addicted to Sparkle *
Quote this message in a reply
[-] The following 1 user Likes OoohShiny's post:
  • Enkay
04-17-2014, 11:58 PM,
RE: Pearl ladies, help a sister out?!
How large are they? I am guessing 6.5 mm or so? Are they new or second hand?

Whilst they look lovely, I think if you aren't 100% sure of what you are buying I would stick to trusted vendors like Pearl Paradise, Pearls Of Joy, The Pearl Outlet etc.

I get distracted by shiny things
[-]
  •
04-18-2014, 03:52 AM,
Have you seen these in person or even tried them on? They appear small is that what you are looking for? Did the seller have a grading or any other information for the pearls or an appraisal perhaps?

[-] The following 1 user Likes stardust's post:
  • Enkay
04-18-2014, 05:57 AM,
Ditto everyone else.

Unfortunately unless you know this vendor, it is very possible this is a stock photo and this isn't the strand you'd receive.

[-]
  •
04-18-2014, 06:18 AM,
I agree with OS. I think Cathy is great for starter strands but she doesn't have akoya so I'd recommend POJ personally bc I've dealt with Kevin multiple times. PP and TPO are trustworthy too of course. Smile I would definitely go with a board vendor to ensure you are getting what you pay for.

[-]
  •
04-18-2014, 08:12 AM,
Thank you for the help ladies!

I will check into the 3 main vendors ya'll recommended Smile

Addicted to Sparkle *
[-] The following 2 users Like Pearlescence.co.uk's post:
  • Bluespawkles, stardust
04-18-2014, 08:23 AM,
Akoya pearl purchases are most fraught because unless the seller knows what they are about and who their wholesaler is, so the risk of rubbish pearls is massive..there are a lot of seemingly nice akoya necklaces out there with nacre which is so thin it will wear away in weeks. I've seen hundreds of such strands sell on tv shopping channels for less than I would pay for a decent strand wholesale. <sigh>
At the same time good akoya pearls are much the same...they are round, white and very shiny....
That is why I don't stock white round akoya pearls.
You could also consider top quality freshwaters. Just as pretty and no questions about nacre thickness

[-]
  •
04-18-2014, 09:38 AM,
@SparkleAddict
First off congrats this is going to be so fun!
Now here is some info I have gathered in my pearl hunting:
The pearls in the photo are a lovely quality with nice rose overtones so good eye on that. Unfortunately it's all about the vendor with pearls. They can swap out the strand, turn the pearls so blemishes are hidden, and sell pearls with nacre that could peel and be gone in short time. If you buy from pearl paradise or pearls of joy they can send you pictures of the exact strand you want.

If you buy high grade freshwaters (which are very reasonably priced and seem to be going up in price) you will have lustrous pearls with shapes that are round to the eye, and additionally they are nacre (the stuff that makes pearls look pretty) all the way through.

Akoyas are generally going to be a sharper luster, more white, and more round than freshwater. But Akoya are nucleated with a bead that is coated with nacre. There is no regulation so some akoyas on ebay and such have not enough nacre and will leave you with beads after some amount of wear.

But no doubt Akoyas are rounder and shinier, they are just more of a special occasion pearl due to nacre thickness.
The freshwaters have a wonderful glow but not quite as sharp, but its reassuring to be able to wear and wear them. Some of the really high grade freshwaters rival Akoyas fairly well in the white and round category.

Talk to Pearls of Joy or Pearl Paradise and get a couple comparison pictures. It makes the process so fun! There is lots to learn and after your first strand you'll be motivated to learn more. Feel free to send me the link by PM if you want me to check out the listing and vendor and see if I've bought from them or the price is reasonable, if you don't want to post it here publicly because you are worried people will buy them.

[-]
  •
04-18-2014, 09:42 AM,
Yeahthat

[-]
  •
04-20-2014, 10:34 PM,
Wendy makes an important point..the term Akoya is thrown around alot on ebay for pearls that are NOT Akoya or are cheap thin nacre Akoya. Frankly I would only trust one of the big online stores if you have your heart set on that type of pearl. I think she, and others, make an excellent point in suggesting high quality Freshwater pearls. Ask one of the sites (POJ PP etc) to send a photo with a High grade Freshwater and Akoya strand next to each other in the size you would like . Then you can see the difference. You won't go wrong either way you go .. but it would be good to see the price and the pearls next to each other.