Platinum vs Gold vs Palladium
[-]
  •
04-22-2014, 03:10 PM,
Platinum vs Gold vs Palladium
So I split this from another thread because I'd love to talk metals! I am a gold girl, and not white gold, but yellow. I like platinum too, but yellow gold is my love. I'm always curious to know where people's affinity lies, and why? Platinum always tends to be the, well....PLATINUM standard, I guess! What would you chose if money was no object, and why?

(04-22-2014, 03:22 AM)Shelley Wrote: I am working with DK at the minute. The price difference between unplated white gold and platinum for my setting was $500 but there is a LOT of metal on my ring. I decided to go with platinum because for that price difference I couldn't say no!

Not to derail, but to derail....

I'm always curious about this. Right now the spot prices seem just about the same. I understand why vendor prices would not reflect that 100% of the time because I'm sure it's different to work with gold vs. platinum vs. silver vs. palladium. It may be harder to work with platinum, so of course they'd charge more.

But let us pretend they were the exact same price-I understand that platinum doesn't lose mass with wear the way gold would, but is there any other reason to choose it? It's more flexible, yes? Less brittle? But my understanding (historically) is that gold has always been quite valuable, even when it was less expensive, but that isn't necessarily the case with platinum.

This probably deserves it's own thread....

Quote this message in a reply
[-]
  •
04-22-2014, 03:15 PM,
RE: 3 stone project
I don't mind a sneaky de rail. It'll be days before I have an update and I'm interested in your question for sure.

I trust platinum because it doesn't wear. It feels more substantial and I don't have to have it replayed regularly. Feels less work in the long term.

[-]
  •
04-22-2014, 03:16 PM,
It might also just be that it's less available this creating a consumer 'need'. I don't understand why palladium isn't more popular especially here in Australia. It's definitely a darker metal than platinum but it seems just as durable for much less cost.

[-]
  •
04-22-2014, 03:34 PM,
I would still choose platinum. I like the weight of it and that it doesn't need any maintenance. I like the patina that develops too. It's my favourite metal for jewellery.

[-] The following 1 user Likes stardust's post:
  • Purdy
04-22-2014, 04:08 PM,
(04-22-2014, 03:34 PM)Shelley Wrote: I would still choose platinum. I like the weight of it and that it doesn't need any maintenance. I like the patina that develops too. It's my favourite metal for jewellery.

I am firmly anti-palladium. I like having stances on things, especially when they are vitally important things. I am just not a fan. Now, the essential thing to understand is that I have never owned, or seen, palladium, so my stance is purely theoretical. But, a woman's gotta have convictions.

As for the wear, do you mean that it doesn't diminish as easily? Because in my experience, which is hardly vast, platinum shows wear more readily than gold, but you do not "lose" it in the same way you do gold.

I'm really curious, so I should probably start a new thread.

[-]
  •
04-22-2014, 04:15 PM,
The wear and scratches doesn't bother me at all. I've been wearing my current platinum band for about a year 24/7 and I love how it looks. It might not suit everyone though Smile

[-]
  •
04-22-2014, 04:17 PM,
(04-22-2014, 04:15 PM)Shelley Wrote: The wear and scratches doesn't bother me at all. I've been wearing my current platinum band for about a year 24/7 and I love how it looks. It might not suit everyone though Smile

I actually quite like the look! I'm just trying to wrap my head around this once and for all.

[-] The following 1 user Likes EarthDiva's post:
  • stardust
04-22-2014, 04:36 PM,
RE: [split] 3 stone project
I chose platinum for my three stone (currently in production) for a couple reasons:

1. Platinum prongs are less likely to break.

2. In my researching metals I read that chemicals in pools and hot tubs will cause gold to deteriorate/become brittle and I wanted a ring I could wear in my jacuzzi without worrying about it. Trouble is, I didn't have a jacuzzi. In the end, choosing a platinum ring was a terrible decision because I then decided I needed a jacuzzi which cost me 4x the amount of my platinum ring. LOL. I should have stuck with white gold, haha.

[-]
  •
04-22-2014, 04:40 PM,
RE: Platinum vs Gold vs Palladium
I have a palladium ring. I really like it. It is heavier than my gold rings. It feels lush. It's also more greyish looking like platinum is - but different - maybe a tad greyer?. Develops patina.

The problem is not many people work with palladium.

[-]
  •
04-22-2014, 04:46 PM,
RE: Platinum vs Gold vs Palladium
I would not buy palladium for precisely that reason. I have a hard enough time finding local jewelers who won't ruin my gold jewelry let alone palladium. I think it is also more brittle?