Please Explain the Difference
[-] The following 1 user Likes Barlan's post:
  • moissypaws
12-25-2013, 07:36 PM,
Please Explain the Difference
I've heard so much about the OEC moissanite vs the round brilliant. I have never seen the OEC and would love to hear a description and the reason for the great love for it as opposed to the round. Is it strictly because it is more of a vintage cut? I have heard that it is warmer in color than the round. What does it have that the round doesn't? Is it more believable to the look of a diamond? I would really like to know why you love it so much.

Quote this message in a reply
[-] The following 1 user Likes Slick's post:
  • LaLa
12-25-2013, 07:48 PM,
RE: Please Explain the Difference
I can only speak about the OEC never having owned a RB moissy. For me, I have a RB natural diamond but I believe the faceting gives the the RB more of a splintery pattern, lots of sparkle. Whereas the OEC appears to have less faceting and gives off less but larger chunks of light. The faceting to my eyes is so appealing and pretty.

As for warmth, again I can't compare, but I love the color of my OEC moissy as it's so appealing to my eyes, I guess I'm not too color sensitive (my RB is an I color). I never wear my RB diamond anymore since I discovered this OEC cut. It's so dreamy.
Here's a photo of my natural diamond next to my OEC moissy. Not a great photo of my diamond as the moissy steals the spotlight in side by side photos.

Sparkly eye candy found at thefacetlounge.com!

And my moissy alone showing the faceting

[-] The following 1 user Likes Circe's post:
  • Slick
12-25-2013, 08:56 PM,
Sandeek provides great visuals!

I think the best way for me to explain it is that in the RB, the facets splintered the fire in a way that made it seem brilliant rather than colorful, at least to my eyes. In the OEC, the faceting it is weirdly lucent in a way that I haven't seen in diamonds: I like it because it's different from diamond, not because it mimics it. You can see the color roll across each individual big facet, from red to orange to yellow to green to blue to violet to indigo in a way that's just hyper-exaggerated. That's pretty cool, to my eyes ....

[-] The following 1 user Likes jenncent's post:
  • MrsK
12-25-2013, 09:14 PM,
some visuals here Smile

http://blog.schubachstore.com/blog/2013/...nite-pics/

Due to the cut, the OEC are warmer than the RBs, as are all fancy shapes in moissy. The "splintery" look that people talk about, it can be in diamonds too. Some specialty diamonds are cut like that intentionally. The shallow crown is the "undiamond like" characteristic imo, but even that, if you love the sparkle, is easily overlooked by many.

Joseph Schubach Jewelers
please email jenniferc@schubach.com for quotes and inquiries
Visit this user's website
[-]
  •
12-25-2013, 09:54 PM,
after receiving my RB moissanite, I realized I don't care for shallow crowns so when I had the chance to get a moissy with a higher crown I jumped! I'm not very bothered by color though, so long as it's not green.

[-] The following 1 user Likes MrsK's post:
  • stardust
12-25-2013, 10:03 PM,
I actually like both cuts in moissanite, but I prefer the chunkier, higher crown and pastel flashes of color from the OECs.

In my opinion, comparing a RB to an OEC is not much different than comparing a princess cut to an oval. They're two entirely different cuts.

[-]
  •
12-28-2013, 02:20 AM,
Here's the novella I wrote when I had both an OEC and an RB in my hot little hands. Hopefully there is a helpful point or two for you.

http://www.thefacetlounge.com/Thread-Amo...ith-photos

Sharp mind, soft belly.