Please help me make a final decision my pink diamond
[-]
  •
11-14-2013, 02:09 PM,
Please help me make a final decision my pink diamond
Ok ladies, I've had this pink pear for a little over a week now and it's stressing me out.

GIA Fancy Brownish Pink
1 ct
Pear Shape
8.6 mm x 5.6 mm
VS1 Clarity (possibly VVS but would need to back to GIA for verification since it only has a half cert, but it is totally loupe clean even at 60x)

Sparkly eye candy found at thefacetlounge.com!

Sparkly eye candy found at thefacetlounge.com!

I'll be honest, my first impression of it when I saw in in the box was very anticlimactic. I felt it was that it was not as saturated as I thought it was going to be, and in the lighting I first got to see it in, which was diffused daylight in my living room, it was not very pink, it looked like a very very pale purple! Now admittedly, this is the same lighting condition that I like to view my M color diamond in, because my M color diamond looks white in it, so, that lighting condition hides color, and I think that is why I did not really see the color in the pear.

I then took it outside, and in direct daylight, it looked pinkish purple.

In the fluorescent lights of my office, it looked purplish pink, and looked very pretty.

In incandescent light, it finally looked a glittery pink!!!!!!!!! YAY!

Now, I don't think I was ever expecting it ever look pure pink, but I think inside I was hoping that it would look more pink IRL. But honestly, if I didn't know that it was supposed to be pink, and I were a casual observer and a stranger to it, I would have thought, "oh look at the purple diamond, sometimes it flashes pink".

Now funny enough, purple makes a pink diamond more expensive than brown, so the GIA color grading of brownish made it less expensive, making it a better deal for me, so I get a diamond that looks purplish to me for the price of a diamond that's been graded brownish.

But the GIA color grading is f*cking with my mind!!!!! I keep worrying that I have convinced myself that I see purple, but that in reality is really brown. I keep worrying that even though *I* see pinkish or purplish, if other people see brown. The GIA color grader certainly did, so it must be there. Who else is going to see it? Will I eventually see it?

I have become very annoying to my family and friends. I keep showing it to them and asking them what color they see. Now here's the crazy thing: my boss, my daughter, and my father all said it looked white. WTF!!!!!!!!!! How they hell did they see white?!?!?!? I then showed it to them next to my M diamond and said it's supposed to be pink, and then asked them what they saw, and then they said oh ok, now it looks pink. Are people telling me that they see pink to make me happy because they know that's what I want hear (and did they say "white" initially because they know I usually want my diamonds to look white)? My colleague at work said it looks pink--she's the only one who confidently said pink having never seen it or knowing what color it was supposed be. An FCD collector I showed pics of it to said it was definitely pink.

I keep looking up pictures of other pink diamonds and I see very similar colors to mine, except in the case of vivid or intense pinks which cost hundreds of thousands or millions of dollars.

I feel like this is a good as it's going to get at this price point, but I must admit feel very very stressed out about it because to me, it's still a lot of money.

I am still in the return period, so ladies PLEASE be brutally honest about this diamond. After the return period I won't have any trade-up options and it will have to be a piece I will hold on to for a long long time.

Quote this message in a reply
[-]
  •
11-14-2013, 02:23 PM,
RE: Please help me make a final decision my pink diamond
I sure see purplish pink in the second photo. In the first, a subtle baby pink.

I don't know what is wrong with your peoples eyesight that made them say white!

I get distracted by shiny things
[-]
  •
11-14-2013, 02:37 PM,
I still love it, and I still see pink. I have always seen pink. Seeing purple would not upset me either, lol. It is just a cooler pink than a warmer peachy pink, and I love that actually.

Joseph Schubach Jewelers
please email jenniferc@schubach.com for quotes and inquiries
Visit this user's website
[-]
  •
11-14-2013, 02:38 PM,
I agree with OoohShiny on the two photos. I don't really see any brown in either photo but of course different lighting conditions can bring out different colors. I think it's beautiful and I myself would go for that type color of I were on the market for a pink diamond, but I almost want to say you shouldn't keep it if you're this iffy about it? Just my opinion. I know pinks are hard because they get so expensive.

[-]
  •
11-14-2013, 02:41 PM,
Also, let's say you DO see purple more often... So call it purple and get another pink later, lol.

Joseph Schubach Jewelers
please email jenniferc@schubach.com for quotes and inquiries
Visit this user's website
[-] The following 4 users Like Sparkly Blonde's post:
  • JuBe, KJMM, mrsmay07, Munster Cat
11-14-2013, 02:41 PM,
I see subdued pink. I don't think people are telling you what you want to hear. For example, my dad I were driving and he pointed to a sign and said, "look! It looks like your ring!" I asked him if he was joking. Nope, he was serious. My ring is a transitional diamond in a WG bezel with beaded YG bezel and a YG split shank. The ring he pointed to was a diamond halo, WG, diamonds down the shank and a single shank. Yet according to my dad it is a diamond in a circle thingy on top of another "ring circle" and thus the same. So, not everybody sees jewelry like we do.

[-]
  •
11-14-2013, 02:42 PM,
KJMM - First of all, it does NOT LOOK WHITE in any way, shape or form! I find that the average person who is not an artist, designer, etc. has a very poor grasp of color beyond the primary shades and forget about understanding secondary & tertiary colors, shades and hues. My DH cannot tell the difference between robin's egg blue and turquoise, for example, and they are completely different! I wanted to kill both my DH and my contractor when we were picking floors and paint colors in our home, so I completely know how frustrating it can be when people don't have any sort of eye. Trust your own feelings.

To me, at first glance your diamond is a pale purplish-pink. It's NOT brown, but there is a brown modifier. It actually reminds me of a rose de france amethyst (obviously not the sparkle, rarity of gem or PRICE, lol). I see more purple than pink - at least from this pic, but I think a diamond that appears pink in some lights and purple in others sounds amazing.

[-]
  •
11-14-2013, 02:47 PM,
(11-14-2013, 02:41 PM)Sparkly Blonde Wrote: I see subdued pink. I don't think people are telling you what you want to hear. For example, my dad I were driving and he pointed to a sign and said, "look! It looks like your ring!" I asked him if he was joking. Nope, he was serious. My ring is a transitional diamond in a WG bezel with beaded YG bezel and a YG split shank. The ring he pointed to was a diamond halo, WG, diamonds down the shank and a single shank. Yet according to my dad it is a diamond in a circle thingy on top of another "ring circle" and thus the same. So, not everybody sees jewelry like we do.

OMG that is the most hilarious thing ever! That makes me feel so much better, you have no idea lolololol I love it!!!

[-]
  •
11-14-2013, 02:50 PM,
(11-14-2013, 02:37 PM)jenncent Wrote: I still love it, and I still see pink. I have always seen pink. Seeing purple would not upset me either, lol. It is just a cooler pink than a warmer peachy pink, and I love that actually.

You hit the nail on the head. I think that my worry is that to most people, "pink" is a peachy or cotton candy-ish color. But this is pink, just closer the cooler side of the spectrum. Of course I still worry about the brown but as long as you don't see brown! Or white! LOL!

(11-14-2013, 02:41 PM)jenncent Wrote: Also, let's say you DO see purple more often... So call it purple and get another pink later, lol.

You ARE right. I actually already do have a pink that is more "pink" (flower ring). So my flower could be my pink, and think one could be my purple.

[-]
  •
11-14-2013, 02:51 PM,
I am a layman person where this things are concerned, but to me it looks pink and not white.
Just wanted to add that I also prefer purplish shade of pink to the warmer shade.

"Be yourself; everyone else is already taken"
Oscar Wilde