Please share stories of not liking a custom piece!
[-]
  •
03-08-2014, 06:20 PM,
Please share stories of not liking a custom piece!
I received my custom engagement ring (SO hasn't proposed yet) and I think I don't love it. I am gonna wait on it to see if I wark up to it, since it is gorgeous and really well done, but I just don't know.

Have you had a custom ring (or other piece of jewelry) made that you didn't love? What ended up happening? Did you grow to love it, sold it for a loss, sold it for a profit, had it remade, etc?

Did you lose money over it? If you can't tell, I'm trying to make myself feel better because I feel down about this.

Quote this message in a reply
[-]
  •
03-08-2014, 06:25 PM,
RE: Please share stories of not liking a custom piece!
My boyfriend hasn't proposed with it, btw.

[-]
  •
03-08-2014, 06:29 PM,
If it helps.....I just had a stone reset in a bezel that I HAD to have and once I received it.....it was so beautiful but it just wasn't me. I even changed preference for the shape of stone I loved. I think this is pretty much something we all do. I am sorry you don't love it and agree that you probably won't change your mind.

I sold mine (for less) and am working on another project :-)

[-]
  •
03-08-2014, 06:30 PM,
I've had several custom pieces made. I only loved one. I tend to shy away from custom now as a result.

I've never once been able to make the money back. I'm sorry to say it, but I'd expect in every case to lose some funds.

With the pieces I didn't know I knew straight away and spent a lot of time trying to convince myself. It never worked. They were sold, I recouped about 50% and moved on.

[-]
  •
03-08-2014, 06:35 PM,
(03-08-2014, 06:30 PM)stardust Wrote: I've had several custom pieces made. I only loved one. I tend to shy away from custom now as a result.

I've never once been able to make the money back. I'm sorry to say it, but I'd expect in every case to lose some funds.

With the pieces I didn't know I knew straight away and spent a lot of time trying to convince myself. It never worked. They were sold, I recouped about 50% and moved on.

Ouch! If we lost any money, I'd be extra upset, especially if it was 50%! I would keep it before I sold it for less than we paid for it. Why is this happening!? Ugh!

[-] The following 1 user Likes stardust's post:
  • MrsK
03-08-2014, 06:37 PM,
I'm sorry. It's possible you could do better. You just tend to pay a good amount for custom and buyers don't always have a whole lot of interest in the thought that was put into it, you know?

[-] The following 2 users Like jenncent's post:
  • Purdy, stardust
03-08-2014, 06:37 PM,
I sold a custom once. My cupcake ring. I can't say that I did not love it. I did love, and still look ant pics and swoon. But, it was a poor choice for my lifestyle with 2 kids and 3 dogs. I was so afraid to ruin it I never wore it. I had it for 2 years and wore it *maybe* 25 times... for prob 5-6 hours each time. I lost a lot of money on it. Generally things sell for half of new. Not the best news, I know, but at least I could put the money into a design I could wear without fear of damaging the ring.

I think you know when you see something if it is right or not. I don't think you will start to love it if you don't. You could probably make yourself just accept it and get over it, but if something about it is not right for you...I think we tend to know.

On the topic, my Ella Bella ring, I LOVE. Like madly truly love. But I do not love white moissy. I tried and and tried. I wanted to love it so much. I hand picked my stones... had them triple screened... but I just could not love them. So I rehomed them and bought stones I did love. Now my EB ring has a morganite in it. A cheaper stone, but I adore it, and I am finally able to wear my ring without anything nagging at me, making me wish it were somehow a little different. Even though others may not think it is as nice now, I am so much happier with it. I think that is the most important thing. Wink

Joseph Schubach Jewelers
please email jenniferc@schubach.com for quotes and inquiries
Visit this user's website
[-]
  •
03-08-2014, 06:41 PM,
(03-08-2014, 06:37 PM)stardust Wrote: I'm sorry. It's possible you could do better. You just tend to pay a good amount for custom and buyers don't always have a whole lot of interest in the thought that was put into it, you know?

Agree. Because if people want to pay retail, they will custom make it themselves, perfect for them with their own unique touches....

Joseph Schubach Jewelers
please email jenniferc@schubach.com for quotes and inquiries
Visit this user's website
[-]
  •
03-08-2014, 06:54 PM,
(03-08-2014, 06:41 PM)jenncent Wrote:
(03-08-2014, 06:37 PM)stardust Wrote: I'm sorry. It's possible you could do better. You just tend to pay a good amount for custom and buyers don't always have a whole lot of interest in the thought that was put into it, you know?

Agree. Because if people want to pay retail, they will custom make it themselves, perfect for them with their own unique touches....

Yeahthat , it's not new anymore as well plus there's likely resizing costs so you have to take a bit of a loss for it to be worth it for someone else

I haven't sold a 100% custom ring but lots of frankenrings...(bistro finds or empty settings reworked) bc I usually got them at a discounted price I recouped most if not all of the cost. They were under 1k though. My jbeg ring I spent 3k and sold it for 2 but if you know it's not for you it's better to take what you can get and move on

[-]
  •
03-08-2014, 09:06 PM,
I calmed down and realized I do really like it, and wouldn't want to sell it or have something else. I blame PMS! However, there are a couple things that are nagging at me that I'll have the jeweler change. I want different prongs and the two smallest rounds swapped out for warmer stones because they really contrast with the pears in sunlight. Then, I think it will be perfect and I'll go from really liking it to loving it.