Pls Share Your Metal Finishes
[-]
  •
07-26-2014, 05:25 AM,
Pls Share Your Metal Finishes
With so much focus on the stone/s, and understandably so, it seems there isn't as much talk about the various metal finishing options for jewelry. If you have something other than the standard high/shiny polish, would you please post pics and what it is. Also, if you know of a good link with pics of various finishes, please share that.

For clarification, I'm not talking metal types (e.g. 14k, platinum, plated or unplated); rather, satin finish, florentine, etc. I just learned about florentine this week, and would love to see what else is out there. Popcorn

Quote this message in a reply
[-]
  •
07-26-2014, 05:38 AM,
RE: Pls Share Your Metal Finishes
A few I stumbled across ...

Green Lake Jewelry Design Elements - click on the "finishes" button.

Sparkly eye candy found at thefacetlounge.com!

[-]
  •
07-26-2014, 05:43 AM,
I love bloomed gold that I see on all the Mc2 pieces. But I don't know anything about the process of blooming gold though. Let me Google for you.......

She who leaves a trail of glitter is never forgotten
[-]
  •
07-26-2014, 05:44 AM,
Florentine:

[-]
  •
07-26-2014, 05:54 AM,
Mcteigue & McClelland website
http://mc2jewels.com

Bloomed gold definition from MC2 website:

"Gold is too soft to be used in its pure form in most jewelry so it is usually alloyed with copper and silver to make it harder and stronger. These metals make the gold harder but also change the color. At McTeigue & McClelland we alloy our own gold to create 18 karat (75% purity) that has the properties we want for workability and durability. We then use an ancient process that strips the alloys from the outer layer of the finished piece, leaving the rich color of pure gold - but with the strength of alloyed gold. This process is called “blooming” and the finished product is called “bloomed” gold.

Jewelers have been blooming gold since at least the 17th century but the process is tricky and requires a great deal of expertise to master. Ever since the invention of electro-plating in the 1930’s the process was largely forgotten. After exhaustive research and experimentation, Tim McClelland rediscovered and mastered this technique, and has made it a hallmark of his work.

Bloomed gold has a durable surface and does not require any special care yet, like all metal, it burnishes with wear and the patina becomes more beautiful over time."

She who leaves a trail of glitter is never forgotten
[-]
  •
07-26-2014, 05:59 AM,
@Bling It On oh that sounds lovely! Wonder if I can hunt down some pictures.

[-]
  •
07-26-2014, 06:16 AM,
Found this brief "article" on bloomed gold with a pic of example piece:

Very pretty & rich looking!