2.0 ctw OEC
[Show Results]

Possible Moissy Stud Upgrade
[-] The following 1 user Likes Milady's post:
  • stardust
12-29-2013, 09:15 AM,
Possible Moissy Stud Upgrade
G'morning ladies! Heart

I've been debating about my 2014 project and I think I want to upgrade my moissy stud earrings. I currently have octet studs 0.66tcw (2 x 4.5mm) and I wear them way more than I thought I would. They are a good every day size, but I've been thinking of going bigger... Then I stumbled upon KJMM's massive milgrain bezel earrings and my eyes nearly popped out of my head! Originally I assumed I would get the "regular" moissy round cut for the sparkle factor (although I really hate that cut, even in my current studs) but the OECs look pretty dang fab in large studs.

I have small ears (pics in the above link) so I don't think I can go bigger than 2ctw. I'm debating between 1.5ctw (2 x 6mm) or 2ctw (2 x 6.5mm). I've been digging around on PS and so far I've only found ear shots for 1.5ctw bezels here and here. I couldn't find the bezel stud setting on Schubies website so my backup setting is the lovely fleur-di-lis. I would probably pick the one that droops the least or is the lowest profile.

So whaddya think, ladies? Keeping in mind I already have 4.5mm studs, do you think 6mm or 6.5mm would make a good "large" every day earring? Modern cut or OEC? Milgrain bezel or fleur? Popcorn

Quote this message in a reply
[-] The following 1 user Likes MrsK's post:
  • stardust
12-29-2013, 10:19 AM,
RE: Possible Moissy Stud Upgrade
I vote for 1.5ctw OECs. I have small-ish ear lobes, 6mm is my sweet spot. I want another pair of OEC earrings as well. I had 1ctw fleurs, which were gorgeous. I just feel that for earrings, the OECs need to be larger. Wink

[-]
  •
12-29-2013, 10:35 AM,
I also have small earlobes and wear 1ctw OECs but they are not bezel set. I could do 1.5ctw but that would be the biggest I could do. Maybe in the future. I do have to say that my OECs are small and you cannot really see the cut but I bought them from @BMV on the bistro. Both of mine are in the fleur setting and I love them.

[-]
  •
12-29-2013, 10:40 AM,
I voted 1.5 ct OEC and I think the replica of KJMM's in milgrain bezel will look fantastic Heart

"Be yourself; everyone else is already taken"
Oscar Wilde
[-]
  •
12-29-2013, 11:05 AM,
I voted 1.5 ct modern but I like both cuts for studs with just a slight preference for the modern in a smaller stone. My ears and lobes are very tiny and 1.5 ct. is the biggest I can go. My preference is about 5mm, though, for daily wear. In larger stones (8mm+) I prefer the OEC, hands down, but not with smaller earrings. KJMM's milgrain bezels would be fab with either cut and any size stone; they are just a classic look!

[-]
  •
12-29-2013, 11:11 AM,
I can't speak to the cut although I love RB, but I think 6.5mm in each ear would be spectacular. For easy wear, I would opt for martini style to avoid droopage. I knew someone, years ago, who received 5mm diamond studs. They were beautiful but, after awhile, they looked small. A carat in each ear is perfect.

[-]
  •
12-29-2013, 11:13 AM,
I think the best way to figure out what size you want is to buy some super cheapy CZ studs. (I got a set of 3 on amazon for $20) I was surprised to find, when I did this, that 7.5mm is my sweet spot, 8mm is shockingly big, and 7mm looks tiny. Who would have thunk that .5mm would make such a difference!

[-] The following 1 user Likes jenncent's post:
  • stardust
12-29-2013, 11:24 AM,
^^^ good idea for sizes. I would go 2ctw though, but I have a giant head. Like really, it is larger than my DHs. Confused

For cut, I think you may find that the rb has improved somewhat over the last few months. I still prefer the look of OECs more, but I find RBs stay cleaner looking a lot longer and they are whiter. 2 things that are also important to me.

oh the bezels are not listed, I am not sure why, but they are available. Smile

Joseph Schubach Jewelers
please email jenniferc@schubach.com for quotes and inquiries
Visit this user's website
[-] The following 1 user Likes Milady's post:
  • stardust
12-29-2013, 11:26 AM,
Thanks for all the helpful feedback! And good call, Turks! I'll bet department stores have sets like that, too, so I'll run to the mall and/or jewelry store this week to try things on. That's definitely the best way to know!

On a side note, I was obsessed with Natalie Portman's diamond studs in Black Swan. I couldn't find a decent picture but they were mega fab and distracted me through half the movie! I looked up the size and supposedly they were 7-7.5mm (or 1.25-1.5ct per ear). So I should probably try on those sizes, too, juuust in case. Wink

[-]
  •
12-29-2013, 11:29 AM,
LOL, yes, I think you should! I think I want 3ctw or 4ctw, again, my giant head. I have small ones that look great with my hair up, but I have soooo much hair, if I want to wear it down and see my earrings, I need larger.

Joseph Schubach Jewelers
please email jenniferc@schubach.com for quotes and inquiries
Visit this user's website