Postage question
[-] The following 1 user Likes Frosty's post:
  • mrsmay07
05-17-2014, 01:45 PM,
Question  Postage question
Keyhole is sold!! She will be on her way Monday to DK to reset the new owners stone (they're putting an OEC in which will be stunning!!!). The new owner is so excited I am so happy it's going to a loving home.

Can't believe it's goodbye to this beautiful ring. I was going to put a ruby or sapphire into her but the timing of the enquiry was too good to pass up now that I'm working on my 3 stone.

My question relates to postage. I have received fedex packages without any issue from moissyco; DK etc but never sent anything. Do any Aussies have any tips? I am going to double box it and securely pack it with lots of padding.

Any shipping tips would be awesome. Thanks! Xx

Quote this message in a reply
[-] The following 1 user Likes Bling It On's post:
  • Frosty
05-17-2014, 04:52 PM,
RE: Postage question
Hi @Frosty, I've sent a number of things to the U.S (loose stones and rings to be set with stones) and have found that you only need to have the ring box for a ring or gemstone box for loose stones. Australia post will make you purchase a padded bag to send it in anyway.
I've sent a number of rings/stones this way to the U.S and have not had any issues! So you just need the ring box and purchase a padded bag. I would purchase full insurance too just in case it gets lost (unlikely but you never know).

She who leaves a trail of glitter is never forgotten
[-]
  •
05-17-2014, 05:24 PM,
Yes to insurance. I once bought a ring that was never received from the US (so in reverse here) and the poster did not use tracking or insurance, so in the end, that poor lady was out her ring AND my money as she had to refund.

Not a pleasant situation.

I get distracted by shiny things
[-]
  •
05-17-2014, 05:50 PM,
It ends up being about $15 to send a padded bag to the U.S and maybe $25-$35 for insurance (maybe a bit more if your package needs to be insured for more than $1000). So all in all, not too bad but definitely worth the insurance. It takes about 7-10 business days to get to the U.S.
You can also send by Express post to the U.S which is much quicker (maybe 3-4 days) but you can't insure Express post packages

[-]
  •
05-17-2014, 05:55 PM,
So you wouldn't use fedex? You would go aus post?

[-] The following 1 user Likes Bling It On's post:
  • Frosty
05-17-2014, 06:01 PM,
@Frosty I never actually enquired about FedEx to tell the truth. I'm assuming FedEx would be a faster and reliable too, but I'm assuming a lot more expensive.
My packages normally cost about $35 to $45 to send to U.S with insurance, I'm not sure if FedEx would do it for that much. But if you find out, let me know please!

P.s that cost is for packages over $500, if under that, it's a lot cheaper

[-]
  •
05-18-2014, 04:53 AM,
US ladies how does Catherine send her pearls to you? Especially the expensive strands? I've emailed her hoping she has time to reply to me!! She would send to us all quite regularly so hopefully she responds with some advice.

[-]
  •
05-18-2014, 11:19 AM,
She uses the post. Registered and tracked, but she insures for less so we don't get nailed with high taxes.

Joseph Schubach Jewelers
please email jenniferc@schubach.com for quotes and inquiries
Visit this user's website
[-]
  •
05-18-2014, 03:06 PM,
Do you know what the cut off is for taxes Jenn? I know in Aus it's $1000..

[-]
  •
05-18-2014, 04:03 PM,
Although maybe taxes won't count as it's going back to the manufacturer for work..