Quality difference between Schubach's and David Klass?
[-]
  •
11-10-2014, 02:52 PM,
Quality difference between Schubach's and David Klass?
There have been beautiful rings on this forum from both Schubach's and David Klass. Does anyone have an opinion on whether, in general, the quality level is better at one or another? Or any differentiators between the two in terms of what they are best at/specialize in? Obviously this forum is hosted by Schubach's but I'm wondering how DK compares, basically.

My new project is a three-stone setting and I think it will probably be custom so I will want CADs and someone who will be good at doing a very fluid setting and claw prongs. I am going to be really picky about the details of how angles run into each other and curves and things like that. But I'm not going to be working with pave, halos, bezels, milgrain or anything else.

Opinions? Thoughts?

Quote this message in a reply
[-] The following 1 user Likes JuBe's post:
  • Bluespawkles
11-10-2014, 03:25 PM,
RE: Quality difference between Schubach's and David Klass?
I'm sure either could do that for you.

If i was getting a hand forged piece, no question, I'd go with Schubachs because they have very talented smiths.
If I was getting a cad/cast piece, I'd probably go with David because he is much more affordable and his quality of work is great.

Disclaimer: I've never had a Schubachs piece so I'm going on what I've seen for the call on their hands forging.

[-] The following 5 users Like Bluespawkles's post:
  • Dancer, khammond25, MrsK, Navette, stardust
11-10-2014, 04:51 PM,
I've had a ring done by Schubach's and work done by David Klass. Basically I actually went to DK's shop once to do a mounting for a ring with a stone I didn't want to risk losing in shipment.
My opinion of Schubach's is that you get what you pay for. They are not going to be the cheapest quote, not at all. But they have an impressive bench that will not disappoint and great customer service. They just do amazing work and are who I would trust for the difficult stuff or the picky consumer. Their work speaks for itself in the videos they post. I would say they do some of the most high quality jewelry I have seen.
Not that I haven't seen beautiful things from DK. But here's the thing. DK works in the jewelry district and when you hire him he sources out the work to all the vendors around him. Which means he can get anyone to do anything, and gives him really competitive pricing. And he is really nice to work with. However, as I said, he's sourcing it out, so the bench work will depend on the bench/jeweler he is using for your project. And the cost for the work will depend on the bench. For instance, when I went there, I thought he was going to mount it. Nope. I walked with his assistant to get my stone mounted somewhere else and she told me about how working the the jewelry district works. I will say the jeweler they took me to for mounting was amazing. So fast and so much better than local ones I had been to.
But when I really wanted a ring that was top top bench quality and didn't care about lowest quote as much as I cared about 'getting it right', I went with Schubach's. I went with them for a custom ring I wanted JUST right and didn't want to have to worry about and they got it BANG on. They even improved on the inspired design. This was a ring that wasn't about the bargain for me. And Joe was very nice to work with. No regrets either way. I guess it just comes down to budget.
I think David Klass knows people come to him to get a bargain, so he gets the best work he can for an amazing and competitive price. But if you go to Schubach's you get a consistently amazing grade of jewelry and customer service, and a price that is good value for money but is not the best 'bargain'. So it's up to you.
I would email both a couple times to get a feel for the service and who you get along with too. That can mean a lot when working on a custom setting. Ask some questions, see how they respond.

[-]
  •
11-10-2014, 04:54 PM,
Okay, for those who don't want to read my muddled essay above, I guess I'm saying they both do great work but there's kind of a premium, indescribable feeling about working with Schubach's that makes a bit of difference for me. Like you're paying more, but you're treated like you are paying more. Um. Does that make any sense?

[-] The following 2 users Like MrsK's post:
  • Bluespawkles, stardust
11-10-2014, 04:57 PM,
(11-10-2014, 04:54 PM)Bluespawkles Wrote: Okay, for those who don't want to read my muddled essay above, I guess I'm saying they both do great work but there's kind of a premium, indescribable feeling about working with Schubach's that makes a bit of difference for me. Like you're paying more, but you're treated like you are paying more. Um. Does that make any sense?

Yes, it does. I agree with you.

(11-10-2014, 03:25 PM)JuBe Wrote: If i was getting a hand forged piece, no question, I'd go with Schubachs because they have very talented smiths.
If I was getting a cad/cast piece, I'd probably go with David because he is much more affordable and his quality of work is great.

I would go to Schubach's for both.

If you are picky about details, then you should go to Schubach's. I've had pieces from both. Schubach's is better quality. The custom pieces are top notch. You're going to pay more, but in my opinion, it is worth it. Even stock pieces (Stuller, Unique, etc.) I have seen were better. The polish/finish on the jewelry I've had from Joe is the best I've ever owned.

Also, keep in mind that Schubach's has a few different benches and can work with your budget.

One day, I'll be a crazy old lady weighed down by all my baubles and it will be glorious.
[-] The following 2 users Like Bluespawkles's post:
  • MrsK, stardust
11-10-2014, 04:59 PM,
@MrsK I'm glad you spoke up having had pieces from both. I have only had work done with DK, but I had a ring with Schubach's and I just feel like you can't beat the experience for what you get out of the deal. Amazing amazing customer service and benchwork you don't have to worry about.

[-] The following 2 users Like stardust's post:
  • Bluespawkles, MrsK
11-10-2014, 05:02 PM,
I have been consistently blown away by Schubach's. One of my obsessions is looking at things in macro. I have NEVER seen a single flaw on any of their pieces. The polish is perfect, the work unsurpassed by any other high end vendor I've used-and I've used a few in my time.

DK makes very nice pieces, but they are on a different level from Schubach's, which makes sense given the price point. Different people want different things, and this is no exception. Not everyone cares that the polish isn't perfect under the prongs, you know? I do and will happily pay more if necessary for the mind clean aspect.

I do agree with Michelle though, and have always found Schubach's to be competitive with their pricing.

[-]
  •
11-10-2014, 05:07 PM,
(11-10-2014, 05:02 PM)stardust Wrote: I have been consistently blown away by Schubach's. One of my obsessions is looking at things in macro. I have NEVER seen a single flaw on any of their pieces. The polish is perfect, the work unsurpassed by any other high end vendor I've used-and I've used a few in my time.

DK makes very nice pieces, but they are on a different level from Schubach's, which makes sense given the price point. Different people want different things, and this is no exception. Not everyone cares that the polish isn't perfect under the prongs, you know? I do and will happily pay more if necessary for the mind clean aspect.

I do agree with Michelle though, and have always found Schubach's to be competitive with their pricing.

Mind clean. There's the wording. Thanks Stardust!Bighug

[-] The following 2 users Like Dancer's post:
  • MrsK, OoohShiny
11-10-2014, 07:58 PM,
I think I agree with everything everyone has said so far, for sure. I went with DK for my last piece simply because it was a very sentimental remake, and I wanted to reuse the gold as well as the diamonds. It turned out beautifully, but that said it's not flawless, there are tiny little things on it that I'd love if they were done better, but then other tiny things on it that I'm amazed were done so well.

Don't forget though, since the topic of price was brought up... that Schubbies does have a 50% off custom designs until Dec 31st right now (woooooot!) and I did see on their website that you can tell them your budget and they will work within it.

[-] The following 1 user Likes MicheleZ's post:
  • lovedogs
11-11-2014, 07:55 AM,
I have three high end pieces from Schubachs and two high end pieces from DK. DK's pieces are as amazing as Schubachs - extremely high quality and the detail work is amazing. That's just my personal opinion of my pieces.

There's broke....and then there is whatever I am...*cry*