Question about authorized retailers of certain ring brands...
[-]
  •
02-03-2014, 08:05 PM,
Question about authorized retailers of certain ring brands...
SO has chosen a lovely Gabriel and Co setting but the only authorized retailer of the setting in our area has less than fabulous reviews.

We have a jeweler that we've used before and love, but again, since they are not "authorized", does that mean that we absolutely cannot have them work on the Gabriel and Co ring?

We have some minor adjustments to the setting that we'd like done and are setting a moissanite in it, which this jeweler is fine with but the authorized jeweler was less than thrilled that we weren't purchasing a diamond from them.

Sorry if this is a weird question, I have no idea how that whole process works.

Quote this message in a reply
[-]
  •
02-03-2014, 08:26 PM,
RE: Question about authorized retailers of certain ring brands...
I think it will void the G&Co warranty, but I would check with G&Co to be sure. If they can order the setting, I would think that G&Co is ok them with them.

Joseph Schubach Jewelers
please email jenniferc@schubach.com for quotes and inquiries
Visit this user's website
[-] The following 1 user Likes musician32992's post:
  • Bluespawkles
02-03-2014, 08:29 PM,
(02-03-2014, 08:26 PM)jenncent Wrote: I think it will void the G&Co warranty, but I would check with G&Co to be sure. If they can order the setting, I would think that G&Co is ok them with them.

Thanks, jenncent! That warranty is the whole thing that appeals to SO, I think we'd prefer not to void it!

[-]
  •
02-06-2014, 11:44 AM,
I would just be careful though, because an engagement ring is a very emotional buy, and getting it worked on is an emotional process. If this authorized jeweler is already making you feel bad about your choice of stone, that probably won't get better unless it is addressed before work starts on the ring. A boundary needs to be drawn before hurtful memories can be created. I just don't want to see the jeweler use the opportunity of making your ring to shame you and make you feel 'lesser'. There are plenty of fine jewelers that don't have that attitude, but some definitely do. And with the delicacy and beauty of the G&Co settings, I would want a warranty too if possible. But I would also want to look into what makes a jeweler an authorized retailer. That means they are authorized to sell, and may just be something like being seen as upscale enough to represent the G&Co name.
And what does the warranty cover exactly? Loose stones? Repairs for loose stones? Some warranties look great on paper but don't offer real value. Some make all the difference. I'm a warranty nut and always add warranties even when it's unwise, but with jewelry I read closely. Not worth going to a jeweler I hate just because in future I won't have to pay a ten dollar resetting fee on a missing melee stone.
But if this retailer is authorized because they do superior jewelry work, then it's worth trying to work things out. Jewelers make a great deal of profit off diamonds and can be bitter about simulant stones taking that profit away from them, so it's common for them to shame people about simulants.
Once someone has made you feel like you are less important or less valued because of the stone in your ering, it is hard to shake. Even if they are wrong and biased. We have been able to work with jewelers because my husband learned to say to them up front, "look, we'd like to work with you and buy this setting from you, but in the past jewelers have upset my wife with comments about her stone choices, and if it's not something you can respect, we will have to buy the setting somewhere else". That puts a hold on a lot of passive aggressive comments.
I know from your other posts that this ring is going to be stunning so I'm just wanting a great experience for you all around!
P.s. You made a great choice going with Moissy. I love Moissanite. Love it. My original e-ring was all diamond and I'll never go back. Not even if cost is the same. Though to be honest, I will probably want a nice, unique antique diamond one day. Other than that sparkly moissy all the way! No one ever guesses it's not diamond and I get all the benefit of extra rainbows and sparkles!
Banana
Bluespawkles

[-]
  •
02-06-2014, 09:31 PM,
(02-06-2014, 11:44 AM)Bluespawkles Wrote: I would just be careful though, because an engagement ring is a very emotional buy, and getting it worked on is an emotional process. If this authorized jeweler is already making you feel bad about your choice of stone, that probably won't get better unless it is addressed before work starts on the ring. A boundary needs to be drawn before hurtful memories can be created. I just don't want to see the jeweler use the opportunity of making your ring to shame you and make you feel 'lesser'. There are plenty of fine jewelers that don't have that attitude, but some definitely do. And with the delicacy and beauty of the G&Co settings, I would want a warranty too if possible. But I would also want to look into what makes a jeweler an authorized retailer. That means they are authorized to sell, and may just be something like being seen as upscale enough to represent the G&Co name.
And what does the warranty cover exactly? Loose stones? Repairs for loose stones? Some warranties look great on paper but don't offer real value. Some make all the difference. I'm a warranty nut and always add warranties even when it's unwise, but with jewelry I read closely. Not worth going to a jeweler I hate just because in future I won't have to pay a ten dollar resetting fee on a missing melee stone.
But if this retailer is authorized because they do superior jewelry work, then it's worth trying to work things out. Jewelers make a great deal of profit off diamonds and can be bitter about simulant stones taking that profit away from them, so it's common for them to shame people about simulants.
Once someone has made you feel like you are less important or less valued because of the stone in your ering, it is hard to shake. Even if they are wrong and biased. We have been able to work with jewelers because my husband learned to say to them up front, "look, we'd like to work with you and buy this setting from you, but in the past jewelers have upset my wife with comments about her stone choices, and if it's not something you can respect, we will have to buy the setting somewhere else". That puts a hold on a lot of passive aggressive comments.
I know from your other posts that this ring is going to be stunning so I'm just wanting a great experience for you all around!
P.s. You made a great choice going with Moissy. I love Moissanite. Love it. My original e-ring was all diamond and I'll never go back. Not even if cost is the same. Though to be honest, I will probably want a nice, unique antique diamond one day. Other than that sparkly moissy all the way! No one ever guesses it's not diamond and I get all the benefit of extra rainbows and sparkles!
Banana
Bluespawkles

Thanks, Bluespawkles!! That's some really awesome advice. Everyone that I've spoken to at this jeweler has been lovely but I've seen reviews warning about serious upselling techniques. I'm just going to be very clear that we WILL be using a 6mm moissanite and if they continuously try to sell us diamonds, we will be going elsewhere. Unfortunately for them, I have about two years worth of research on diamonds, moissanite and settings under my belt, so they're at quite a disadvantage compared to the stereotypical "clueless" man/couple buying engagement rings.