Question on melee side stones
[-]
  •
11-09-2015, 01:33 AM,
Question on melee side stones
I am thinking of getting a vintage cushion cut stone set.  The stone is probably I to J color.  The setting that I had in mind has 20 units of 1.2 mm side stones in the shank.  The setting is from stuller.

I want good quality melee for the ring setting.  In the past, I have had some rings with poor quality melee and I can see the difference.

What type of melee should I get?

Full cut or single cut?  Which is better?

What color would you pick?  F or G color melee?  Or even lower color grade?

I am not sure if i can pick the cut grade of the melee with Stuller (planning on ordering from Wink).  Do you know if I can get really well cut melee with a Stuller setting?

I recently heard about H&A melee, any thoughts on this?  It is so small, can one tell visually that the H&A stones sparkle more?  Not sure I can even get this option with a Stuller setting.  I know Whiteflash offers H&A melee.

Any thoughts/tips are appreciated.

Quote this message in a reply
[-]
  •
11-09-2015, 06:22 AM,
RE: Question on melee side stones
I've had h&a melee in a band. I am not sure there was a huge difference, but they were really sparkly! I think if Wink offers it, you should just probably just go for it. I am an enabler, though.

As far as color, there will be a definite contrast between the main stone and melee. If you don't want it that noticeable, I'd find out if you can get lower color melee... Like h maybe?

One day, I'll be a crazy old lady weighed down by all my baubles and it will be glorious.
[-]
  •
11-09-2015, 09:16 PM,
(11-09-2015, 06:22 AM)MrsK Wrote: As far as color, there will be a definite contrast between the main stone and melee. If you don't want it that noticeable, I'd find out if you can get lower color melee... Like h maybe?

I think I'd agree.  Especially because of the way old cuts flash, and melee tends to sparkle...I feel like a really high color melee would be a significant contrast.

[-]
  •
11-09-2015, 09:21 PM,
Stuller can upgrade melee, but it will be an all over upgrade... so the best cut will be F VS. That would be a contrast I think, but since the stones are so tiny, I am not sure it would be a bother. Perhaps Wink can get the setting with no melee at all, and source it himself (like not from Stuller), then you could get H&A. Melee always look a bit whiter, imo, unless it is all D/E/F range, so I would just base it on sparkle.

Joseph Schubach Jewelers
please email jenniferc@schubach.com for quotes and inquiries
Visit this user's website