Removing a center stone
[-]
  •
08-29-2013, 03:31 PM,
Removing a center stone
I've had a ring posted for sale this week, and although nearly 200 people have looked at it, no one has expressed interest in buying it. A week isn't long, of course. But in a week, I've devised only about 164 different ideas for this sucker if it were dismantled into parts. Blush

So here's my question to all of you...

I have never considered removing a stone from prongs before, on my own at home. I've always been under the impression that if I tried to do this myself, not only would I shatter the stone, the skies would part and a lightning bolt would strike me down on principle.

Is this silly of me? Is removing a stone simple, with no scary risks as long as you aren't trying to do it with a can opener and a hammer? Everyone knows that Mr. Hadley and I are handy and we have an arsenal of tools and skills in our possession. Do you have any tips for me?

Here's the ring. The center stone I want to remove is a 7.5mm RB Moissanite. It's Amora-ized, so it's a $700+ stone. <--- So you see my obvious hesitation, right? If I could remove it myself, I would save myself the shipping/insurance charges of sending it across the country and then back to me.

Sparkly eye candy found at thefacetlounge.com!

Sharp mind, soft belly.
Quote this message in a reply
[-] The following 1 user Likes Hadley's post:
  • Frosty
08-29-2013, 03:34 PM,
RE: Removing a center stone
Oh, yeah. You'd think I'd just go somewhere locally and have them do it, right? Unfortunately, I've had a long string of local places treating me badly for bringing them my "lowly fake Moissanite," or getting mad at me for bringing them little things like this when they have "real customers" to deal with. It's left a sour taste in my mouth, to say the least. Sad

Sharp mind, soft belly.
[-]
  •
08-29-2013, 03:35 PM,
I would ask Poppy...I bet she would know!!

Visit this user's website
[-]
  •
08-29-2013, 03:41 PM,
I am big on searching youtube for tutorials, and have noticed there's a good amount of how-to's on there from jewellers, so maybe try there and see how different people do it?

[-]
  •
08-29-2013, 03:42 PM,
Here's how I look at it. If I had $700 that I accidentally lit on fire and watched it burn, would I be crying? YOU BET I WOULD! Therefore I wouldn't do it.

[-]
  •
08-29-2013, 04:03 PM,
SB, this is precisely why I've never considered it. But I have a feeling my fears are unwarranted???

I just did a You Tube search now and all of the results are either 1) how to set a stone; or 2) how to remove kidney stones.

I don't care how handy Mr. Hadley is, or how fancy his tools are, he will NOT be removing my kidney stones via a You Tube tutorial! Shocked Good lord!

With enough digging, I did find one lonely video that shows how to remove a stone. "You use this little tool called a prong lifter. It's basically a can opener." Really? How did that woman know that I *just* referred to a can opener as the wrong tool?

Sharp mind, soft belly.
[-]
  •
08-29-2013, 04:14 PM,
I've watched it done a bunch of times. The benches I've worked with locally were often in the open-ish. They were in a room, but with glass so you could watch them. Then the goldsmith I went to had me get in there and work with him.

It's not hard, but I don't know that I'd be confident enough to do it on an asha, let alone a moissanite. From what I've seen/done you're more likely to damage the prong than the stone.

[-]
  •
08-29-2013, 04:18 PM,
Hahahahaha ok ok so youtube fails this time, sorry!

[-]
  •
08-29-2013, 04:22 PM,
I would take it to a jeweler and ask them to unset for you. I have asked many and they do it in seconds without damaging and for free. If it helps you could say you're ordering another stone to replace it and will bring it back for them to set (if you have no intentions or going back there haha)

[-]
  •
08-29-2013, 04:28 PM,
I have one and it never worked for me though..the prong lifter thingy..but I was using cz and trying to not bend or nick the cheapo setting...They did get dented

Visit this user's website