Removing a film off of a diamond
[-]
  •
09-30-2013, 11:45 AM,
Removing a film off of a diamond
I noticed a few days ago that I have a film on the underside of my diamond. Tried using a few different household items on it but it still persists Sad What might be a good option? We only have one jeweler in town which I don't go to anymore as we got in a fight one time. I had dropped off a ring for a quote ONLY, checked on it the next day, and he had done the work. Had to pay for it to get my ring back even though my receipt said "for quote". Anywho...

Quote this message in a reply
[-]
  •
09-30-2013, 12:10 PM,
RE: Removing a film off of a diamond
First, that jeweler sounds shady! I don't blame you for not wanting to go back there.

I clean my rings periodically with distilled water, white vinegar, and alcohol. Not sure if that would help or not. I generally fill a little ramekin about halfway with distilled water, microwave until it's hot, then add a tablespoon each of vinegar and alcohol and let them soak. Maybe this would loosen it and then you could get it off with a soft bristled tooth brush? It would be worth a try.

[-]
  •
09-30-2013, 12:19 PM,
Oh man that's like a regular occurrence for me (the film). I use a strong jewelry cleaner, I think mine is ammonia based because it reeks of ammonia, I don't know what else is in it, but it foams up. I don't know much about the cleaner--my mom left it under the sink several years back and I have continued to use it because it works so well! I use an extra soft toothbrush to work it into the underside of the diamond, I really try to gently get in there through the gallery with brush. Then I use the sink hose attachment and set it to its strongest jet setting, hold on to the ring tight, then spray under there to power wash away any left over stuff. I give it a quick rinse with bottled water then dry with a soft cloth.

There was another jewelry cleaner that a jeweler once gave me that had hydrochloric acid as its main ingredient. I used up the bottle and now I can't find it for sale anywhere. Stuff was insane--dissolved everything in its path but mental and diamond in seconds. Scary stuff. I used gloves and wore a mask as a precaution.

[-]
  •
09-30-2013, 12:25 PM,
Oh no!! Yes I would definitely do a soft toothbrush! I have a ultrasonic type clear that I bought on Amazon! This thing works wonders w/ a little dishsoap.. turn on and then brush/rinse clean and leave out to dry on paper towels!

[-]
  •
09-30-2013, 01:46 PM,
I boil it with dish soap. When I make tea I pour hot water over the jewelry in a small dish with a drop of soap. I let it sit for about 5 minutes and rinse it off. I've never gotten a film that way.

[-] The following 1 user Likes jenncent's post:
  • LaLa
09-30-2013, 01:49 PM,
Please do not boil a diamond!! or any stone. You can crack it.

I would use what is suggested too, and keep repeating until you can get the film off. If it is sticky or oily, it may take multiple tries to get it all off.

Joseph Schubach Jewelers
please email jenniferc@schubach.com for quotes and inquiries
Visit this user's website
[-]
  •
09-30-2013, 01:50 PM,
well, I don't actively boil it. I just pout REALLY HOT WATER over it.

Should I not be doing that?

The more you know.....

[-]
  •
09-30-2013, 01:53 PM,
(09-30-2013, 01:49 PM)jenncent Wrote: Please do not boil a diamond!!

LOL, I dunno why, but this made me giggle.

[-] The following 1 user Likes stardust's post:
  • mrsmay07
09-30-2013, 01:56 PM,
I live on the edge.

[-]
  •
09-30-2013, 02:05 PM,
[img]Sparkly eye candy found at thefacetlounge.com![/img]