Restringing
[-]
  •
11-28-2014, 05:11 PM,
Restringing
I need to have a strand that I adore beyond the telling of it restrung. I never ever wear it because when I do (as I did yesterday) I lose half my hair. A. it hurts so freaking much, and B. no matter how many hairs I break off, I have to tear the necklace off my hair at the end of the day. Curse

It's the french wire that's the problem. Am I the only one? I was thinking of trying to match it and have it made endless, but I doubt that will work.

This doesn't happen with any other pearls, but it's happened with these from day one. Has anyone discovered a jewelry hack to deal with this until they get restrung? Help

Quote this message in a reply
[-]
  •
11-28-2014, 06:24 PM,
RE: Restringing
I have some that catch the hair on the back of my neck, but not enough that I need to restring them. I don't have a hack for it though. All necklaces do this to me sometimes, so I just suck it up. But if it is just this one, I would try restringing. If it is long enough to get over your head closed, it can be endless...

Joseph Schubach Jewelers
please email jenniferc@schubach.com for quotes and inquiries
Visit this user's website
[-]
  •
11-28-2014, 08:25 PM,
(11-28-2014, 06:24 PM)jenncent Wrote: I have some that catch the hair on the back of my neck, but not enough that I need to restring them. I don't have a hack for it though. All necklaces do this to me sometimes, so I just suck it up. But if it is just this one, I would try restringing. If it is long enough to get over your head closed, it can be endless...

all do it to me to an extent. Like I'll lose 20-25 hairs to all necklaces. This one is WAY more. To the point where it's all wound in between the first two pearls on the funky side.

I did email to ask about making it endless. Then the length wouldn't be what I wanted, but I could at least wear it.

In the meantime I want to find a hack. There are hacks for damn near everything. With enough ingenuity and perseverance I will find someone who knows something.

Maybe.

[-]
  •
11-28-2014, 09:41 PM,
Hack: What about putting clear nail polish on the French wire so the wires are smoother/coated, and therefore can't snag your tresses? Smile

[-]
  •
11-29-2014, 08:51 AM,
They make curved metal sheaths that cover the thread. They sell them many places and cost a few cents each.

[-]
  •
11-29-2014, 09:06 AM,
Rio grande. 624463. SS wire guardian cord protector. Comes in several color metals.

[-]
  •
11-29-2014, 11:05 AM,
(11-29-2014, 09:06 AM)The Third Graft Wrote: Rio grande. 624463. SS wire guardian cord protector. Comes in several color metals.

Oh my goodness-off to look now! Thank you!!

[-]
  •
11-29-2014, 11:07 AM,
Is there a fool-proof way to figure out what size is needed?

[-]
  •
11-29-2014, 11:19 AM,
A mystery clasp requires no French wire

[-]
  •
11-29-2014, 12:37 PM,
That would be awesome, but then I'd have to restring, and everyone around here charges an arm and a leg for it. Like I'd be better off just buying another for what they'd charge.