Rose gold alloys?
[-]
  •
09-30-2014, 07:59 PM,
Rose gold alloys?
So it'll be a while before this happens, but I would really love a rose gold moissy bezel eternity ring. I have a pretty good idea of what I want design-wise - 3mm moissies, basic bezel with no milgrain, and as low profile as possible. I'm curious about a couple things, though.
The first thing is that I LOVE the alloys with higher copper content, the redder the better. I saw a 10k ring years ago that was beautiful. I'm concerned it may be hard to find a jeweler that works with it, though - any suggestions?
My second concern is if rose gold is a good idea for my skin tone - I have light skin with olive tones (sort of like Marisa Tomei, if that helps). I've tried on rose gold things (mostly rose gold plated) and it either looks great or blends with my skin. Is there an alloy any of you would recommend, or screw it and just pick what I like instead?

Quote this message in a reply
[-]
  •
09-30-2014, 08:04 PM,
RE: Rose gold alloys?
First of all, I LOVE rose gold.

Not many jewelers work with 10k. Normally, 10k would be more pink. 18K will be less red, more peachy or yellow in color. There may be a slight variation in color from one jewelry to another, depending on what is used in the alloy. @jenncent's hubby has an olive skin tone and rose gold looks amazing on him. I think if you like it, you should get it for yourself.

One day, I'll be a crazy old lady weighed down by all my baubles and it will be glorious.
[-]
  •
10-01-2014, 09:40 AM,
@kookooburra I have light skin with olive tones similar to what you're describing. I have an 18k rose gold necklace and earrings set, which I have been told looks good on me.

I haven't had a chance to try the alloys with higher copper content, but I think that with a choice between "looks great" and "blends in" is a great one to have because that implies that the rose gold goes well with your skin tone. I personally like it when the gold tone blends a little with the skin tone. I don't think that's a bad thing at all, but what works for you is obviously up to personal preference.

My understanding is that there are color variations between different jewelers because jewelers can have their own combination of alloys that they use. Other than trying more rose gold on and figuring out what works for you, I don't think there's much else you can do.

[-]
  •
10-01-2014, 12:16 PM,
yes, standard 14k looks amazing on my hubby. Wink

Joseph Schubach Jewelers
please email jenniferc@schubach.com for quotes and inquiries
Visit this user's website
[-]
  •
10-02-2014, 01:04 AM,
I think 14k rose gold is my favorite of all the rose golds. It just blends well with my skin tone. Although I have blonde hair, my skin is on the warmer side. So I bet you would look quite lovely with that shade of rose gold.

[-]
  •
10-02-2014, 04:53 PM,
So today I was at the mall and popped in to a couple jewelery stores. They had 9k or 10k (can't remember) and 14k rose gold. I tried both on, and boy, am I glad I did. They looked nice, but for the next hour my finger itched! I'm thinking rose gold may not be in my future.

[-]
  •
10-03-2014, 12:28 PM,
@kookooburra Oh I'm so sorry that you had a bad experience! I'm sensitive to copper too, but my 18k doesn't give me any problems.

I also don't see why a rose gold plating wouldn't give you problems but a real rose gold ring would. Maybe it was the 9/10k that irritated you if you've worn 14k in the past and it has been fine?

[-]
  •
10-03-2014, 12:47 PM,
I'm guessing the 9k was the culprit as well, which is too bad because the color's amazing. I had no idea I had a copper sensitivity, though I do have a nickel one that's worsened with age. I'm just not sure it would be worth it when I know there are metals out there that don't have a risk of giving me any irritation at all.

One consolation in this is that afterwards on a whim I went into Tiffany's and tried on the sapphire swing ring. I'd never really felt strongly one way or another about this style, but I put it on and I fell in love. It just looked "right" in a way the rose gold rings didn't. It's also a more delicate feminine version of the bezel rings I've been loving, and I love the pop of color. The price tag's steep, but at least there are some good knockoffs out there.