Round vs Cushion Cut Moissy
[-]
  •
10-15-2014, 09:49 AM,
Round vs Cushion Cut Moissy
I was told by a jeweler that the Round Moissy is the closest to looking like a diamond versus a cushion cut one. Originally I wanted a cushion cut halo ring with the cushion cut moissy but now I am concerned after hearing that. Is this true? He said with me wanting a 1.5-2 carat stone that people will know it's not a real diamond just by looking at it.

Quote this message in a reply
[-] The following 1 user Likes jenncent's post:
  • mmascall
10-15-2014, 10:14 AM,
RE: Round vs Cushion Cut Moissy
I am not sure that is accurate. The new H&A moissy is very diamond like! But cushions are as well. And very beautiful and sparkly. *Most* people cannot tell the difference between a cz, moissy, or diamond... They just do ot have the experience.

Joseph Schubach Jewelers
please email jenniferc@schubach.com for quotes and inquiries
Visit this user's website
[-] The following 3 users Like minmorocco's post:
  • Blinglicious, KTrencha, mmascall
10-15-2014, 10:34 AM,
(10-15-2014, 09:49 AM)MissBreezy13 Wrote: I was told by a jeweler that the Round Moissy is the closest to looking like a diamond versus a cushion cut one. Originally I wanted a cushion cut halo ring with the cushion cut moissy but now I am concerned after hearing that. Is this true? He said with me wanting a 1.5-2 carat stone that people will know it's not a real diamond just by looking at it.

I'm not sure about how the C&C moissanite is cut....however I have an Amora gem cushion which (2.4ct) in my opinion has very similar attributes to moissanite with regards to fire and scintillation. Everyone in my social circle assume that my AG is a diamond. Where I live and with the type of income that I have, I could afford to wear a $25k diamond if I wanted to, so I think that also plays a big role in the credibility side of things. I told two close friends that my new ring is not a diamond it is AG and they are astounded. They both want AG now. They both have $10k-15k diamond rings already. Comparing their diamonds to mine, mine is not only much bigger...it is frankly prettier.

When I received my AG, I promptly sold my original upgrade wedding set (which was real diamond and retailed for more than $9,000 in 2011). I ended up selling it for less than half what I paid for it....and actually about the same price as I paid for my AG and setting and new wedding band. When I took my original wedding ring to the jeweler to clean and have it checked out before selling it, I was wearing my AG cushion. He was like wow nice upgrade! I said yeah and I held my hand closer. He whistled and said I dont' get to see rocks that pretty very often, even in here. I said I'll tell you a secret, it's not a diamond. He frowned and looked closer and then he was like no way. I said really. He asked to loupe it so I let him. He was very surprised but he quickly tried to roll back his enthusiasm. He was like why would you replace your diamond ring with a fake? I was like first of all, though it's not a diamond, it's a high quality durable gemstone. Secondly, it's bigger and prettier than any diamond you have in here! He continued to try and argue with me about it. He tried to say that diamonds are an investment and buying alternatives is throwing money away. HA! I lost more than $5000 when I sold that diamond ring. Eff that noise! Anyway, he never did try to show me a prettier stone. Nuf said.

I think I went off on quite a tangent but my point is, don't take your jeweler's word for it. Check it out for yourself!

[-]
  •
10-15-2014, 11:19 AM,
(10-15-2014, 10:34 AM)minmorocco Wrote:
(10-15-2014, 09:49 AM)MissBreezy13 Wrote: I was told by a jeweler that the Round Moissy is the closest to looking like a diamond versus a cushion cut one. Originally I wanted a cushion cut halo ring with the cushion cut moissy but now I am concerned after hearing that. Is this true? He said with me wanting a 1.5-2 carat stone that people will know it's not a real diamond just by looking at it.

I'm not sure about how the C&C moissanite is cut....however I have an Amora gem cushion which (2.4ct) in my opinion has very similar attributes to moissanite with regards to fire and scintillation. Everyone in my social circle assume that my AG is a diamond. Where I live and with the type of income that I have, I could afford to wear a $25k diamond if I wanted to, so I think that also plays a big role in the credibility side of things. I told two close friends that my new ring is not a diamond it is AG and they are astounded. They both want AG now. They both have $10k-15k diamond rings already. Comparing their diamonds to mine, mine is not only much bigger...it is frankly prettier.

When I received my AG, I promptly sold my original upgrade wedding set (which was real diamond and retailed for more than $9,000 in 2011). I ended up selling it for less than half what I paid for it....and actually about the same price as I paid for my AG and setting and new wedding band. When I took my original wedding ring to the jeweler to clean and have it checked out before selling it, I was wearing my AG cushion. He was like wow nice upgrade! I said yeah and I held my hand closer. He whistled and said I dont' get to see rocks that pretty very often, even in here. I said I'll tell you a secret, it's not a diamond. He frowned and looked closer and then he was like no way. I said really. He asked to loupe it so I let him. He was very surprised but he quickly tried to roll back his enthusiasm. He was like why would you replace your diamond ring with a fake? I was like first of all, though it's not a diamond, it's a high quality durable gemstone. Secondly, it's bigger and prettier than any diamond you have in here! He continued to try and argue with me about it. He tried to say that diamonds are an investment and buying alternatives is throwing money away. HA! I lost more than $5000 when I sold that diamond ring. Eff that noise! Anyway, he never did try to show me a prettier stone. Nuf said.

I think I went off on quite a tangent but my point is, don't take your jeweler's word for it. Check it out for yourself!

Haha thank you for that!!! I really love the cushion cut halos!

[-] The following 1 user Likes MissBreezy13's post:
  • KTrencha
10-15-2014, 11:21 AM,
(10-15-2014, 10:14 AM)jenncent Wrote: I am not sure that is accurate. The new H&A moissy is very diamond like! But cushions are as well. And very beautiful and sparkly. *Most* people cannot tell the difference between a cz, moissy, or diamond... They just do ot have the experience.

I just want it to be nice and sparkly and white and not look like I bought it from the department store, if that makes sense LOL

I love bling bling!

[-]
  •
10-15-2014, 12:08 PM,
I don't think that the new moissy out there now looks like it is from the department store. Wink

Joseph Schubach Jewelers
please email jenniferc@schubach.com for quotes and inquiries
Visit this user's website
[-]
  •
10-15-2014, 04:30 PM,
A diamond as an investment...CrackupCrackupCrackupCrackup

Please. Over priced and not rare BUT very beautiful. I view diamonds as a "nice to have if you like it" BUT they are not an investment.

As far as most diamond like, have Shubachs pick you out a nice, white cushion moissanite with crisp facets OR if you can wait, get a cushion AG. Don't get round if you love cushions, you'll always be wondering "what if" or a "wish I had.."

[-]
  •
10-15-2014, 07:18 PM,
Agree with everything stated here!!

Another alternative would be a round H&A stone in a cushion-shaped halo, like these:

Sparkly eye candy found at thefacetlounge.com!Sparkly eye candy found at thefacetlounge.com!

I think that round stones will always be slightly sparklier than cushions because of the reflection of the light, but it's probably pretty marginal and not noticeable in real life.

[-]
  •
10-16-2014, 07:11 AM,
I think Moissanite looks like a diamond ( but better imho). Most people, even upon close inspection really don't know. I hope you and your SO have a blast finding a ring/ stone you truly LOVE. there are some really beautiful moissy halos out there!

[-]
  •
10-16-2014, 01:59 PM,
(10-15-2014, 07:18 PM)JuBe Wrote: Agree with everything stated here!!

Another alternative would be a round H&A stone in a cushion-shaped halo, like these:

Sparkly eye candy found at thefacetlounge.com!Sparkly eye candy found at thefacetlounge.com!

I think that round stones will always be slightly sparklier than cushions because of the reflection of the light, but it's probably pretty marginal and not noticeable in real life.

AMAZING!! I've been looking for a cushion setting to drop a Round stone in but I can't find it. I've looked on Moissanite & Co but they only have the cushion setting for a cushion cut stone. Any ideas where I can find a ring like those you posted?