Setting Help!
[-]
  •
09-19-2014, 04:12 PM,
Setting Help!
Ok ladies-I need help!
I have a gorgeous stone begging to be set and the DH wants it set in a ring. (and since he was wonderful enough to provide the stone who am I to argue?)
However I have very little idea what I want to do with it!(I have a better idea of what I don't want to do with it) I have looked at tons of pictures and nothing has jumped out at me :-( So I was hoping maybe someone here might have some lovely inspiration or recommendation for me.

What I do know... It will be a size 4.5 and probably on the dainty side design wise. My fingers just don't do well with hefty rings. It looks like I am trying on my mommy's jewelry :-(
The stone is an older oval cut and a little over 9x7 and E in color-much whiter than anything I own!

I do know I am looking at a solitaire of some form, maybe with melee stones but def not a three or five stone. It would just be too much for my fingers...despite how much I drool over the many gorgeous ones I see on here...

I am leaning away from a halo right now but may be open to the possibility. The stone is just so large for me (I know odd to say on here, right?) that I am afraid the halo would just overdo it. Maybe I need to be daring though...

I am strongly leaning yellow gold. So it would go with my bands. But of course to work with my bands the design needs to be elevated a bit to sit snuggly with them...
At the same time, I love rose gold, and do not have many rose gold rings...
But the stone is so white should it just be given the white gold treatment???
As you can probably tell, some major indecisiveness going on.

I have thought of just a plain solitaire but that seems not quite special enough. Maybe if the prong arrangement was intricate enough or something.

I do know I want prongs. I don't own any bezels settings (though I hope to fix that) but I am just not ready to commit to a bezel setting yet and not with this stone.

I have been toying with the idea of a non plain band, something like this maybe? Sparkly eye candy found at thefacetlounge.com!

But I really don't know. There is something pretty about a plain band, or a plain diamond band. Cry

I guess at this point there are just so many possibilities I am lost. I want this ring to be really special but I am afraid to overdo it.

Oh-here is the darling sparkle causing all this angst
(Please pardon my pathetic iPhone picture taking skills and the poor lighting)
Sparkly eye candy found at thefacetlounge.com!

Quote this message in a reply
[-]
  •
09-19-2014, 04:50 PM,
RE: Setting Help!
There is something delightful to my eye of that gorgeous big stone in the plain stone holder with the pretty filigree band.
I would do a gold solitaire with a twist.. that way you can style it up anyhow you want.
I would not halo that stone, if you like delicate, it might bring it into 'too big' territory.

I get distracted by shiny things
[-]
  •
09-19-2014, 05:53 PM,
Beautiful stone! I say solitaire with an under galley that has some detail that you love.

There's broke....and then there is whatever I am...*cry*
[-] The following 1 user Likes SparkleFactor's post:
  • MicheleZ
09-19-2014, 07:04 PM,
Very pretty! How about an east west semi-bezel, kinda like Ginger but wider because your rock is a rockin' 9mm. Banana

A couple pics maybe ...

[-]
  •
09-19-2014, 07:26 PM,
With only side half bezels and a more open gallery, this Kwiat ring is gorgeous! Heart

[-]
  •
09-19-2014, 10:32 PM,
Do you have a budget in mind?

[-]
  •
09-20-2014, 06:16 AM,
I just adore ovals! They are super pleasing on the finger! I am a 4.5 and think this is a great size, but would not completely void out a halo Wink In any case I think this stone would look amazing in a delicate solitaire with a floral vine band!

[-]
  •
09-20-2014, 06:46 AM,
Here is a pretty vintage ring from Lang's that would be gorgeous and (depending on the type of stone it is hardness-wise) would provide nice security.

Disregard - forgot you said solitaire-ish and no bezel.

[-]
  •
09-20-2014, 07:39 AM,
(09-19-2014, 07:26 PM)SparkleFactor Wrote: With only side half bezels and a more open gallery, this Kwiat ring is gorgeous! Heart

OOO the gallery detailing is lovely!

[-]
  •
09-20-2014, 07:42 AM,
(09-19-2014, 10:32 PM)Christinerenee5 Wrote: Do you have a budget in mind?

Not exactly...The less I spend on it the more I can spend on other sparkly projectsDevil but at the same time, this stone deserves special treatment so if the right setting is more costly then thats what is going to happen...it might just take a little while to happen. Wink