Setting lab CS gem with accent diamonds
[-]
  •
08-17-2014, 12:12 PM,
Question  Setting lab CS gem with accent diamonds
Just posted a thread on PS-CS seeking input to find the right blue CS for my dome ring project. Having combed the internet, I just can seem to settle on one that is "just right" color-wise, except the lab stones moissy co offers. And let's face it, they are a LOT friendlier on the ole wallet than a decent natural gem would be.

For some reason though, I can not wrap my head around using one in this project when I am using natural diamonds as well. Confused Am I nuts? Is this what people refer to as a "mind-clean" issue? I don't know why this one bothers me so much, when I basically did the same thing with the LAD ring with diamond & sapphire accents, but with a center moissy. Huh

I truly hope I am not offending anyone by asking this question, but would you use a lab CS in this situation if you were also using natural diamonds as accents? Help me please to rationalize, understand my apprehension, and not be so "judgmental" (?) about it in this scenario.

Quote this message in a reply
[-]
  •
08-17-2014, 12:57 PM,
RE: Setting lab CS gem with accent diamonds
yes, I would say this is what "mind clean" is. I cannot use CZ and silver for that reason. It does not make much sense but it just feels right or wrong for my projects, so ... just go with what feels right.

I don't mind lab gems but I am super picky about cut, natural or synthetic. The cuts of a lot of lab stones are meh, and that is what steers me clear of them some of the time.

Joseph Schubach Jewelers
please email jenniferc@schubach.com for quotes and inquiries
Visit this user's website
[-]
  •
08-17-2014, 01:06 PM,
Thanks @jenncent. That's kinda what I feel like here, but it's only for this particular project, and I don't know why. I have a couple nice WinkCZs that I really like, and I love my moissy stones, but for some reason, when it comes to colored gems, I can NOT get "mind-right" with it.

[-]
  •
08-17-2014, 02:05 PM,
That is perfectly fine. You know that is how you are, so don't try to force a stone on yourself that you feel is not right for your project just because the price is right.

Joseph Schubach Jewelers
please email jenniferc@schubach.com for quotes and inquiries
[-]
  •
08-17-2014, 02:14 PM,
Is it a setting that the stone can easily be switched out of? If so I would consider getting the lab stone since it is so affordable AND the right color, while you search. If you find one Yay!! If not maybe you will decide to love the stone you have since it is the perfect color.

[-]
  •
08-17-2014, 02:26 PM,
@poppyseed it's for the dome ring project that I want to do. It will require reworking the setting some anyway but I was planning to bezel the center. Though I could have it raised a bit and bead set I guess. I don't have to do this ring now though, so I can wait to find the right one if needed. I had thought about the same idea, but I don't know it would be likely I would find the same size stone.

[-]
  •
08-17-2014, 06:24 PM,
While taking in The Expendables with MP & in laws, an idea occurred to me that I might consider ordering one of the BTD stones to see/compare it to a natural. Who knows ... once in hand, I might find that I am blown away by the color enough to get over its origin. Angel And if not, I can return it.

I have one natural sapphire candidate that is in budget, but it is an oval, and thus would require reworking the mounting to accept it. It's 7.8 x 5.8mm, so a little shorter on one side than I would like, but I think the color is almost spot on for what I want. Ideally I would like to go up to a 7.5mm round for the setting because I really want that blue color to pop out of the WG, then have the small 2.7mm OMC accents scattered around the ring to provide sparkle.

[-]
  •
08-17-2014, 06:50 PM,
good idea!! You just might fall in love with it Smile

[-]
  •
08-17-2014, 06:52 PM,