Yellow Gold
Rose Gold
[Show Results]

Shade of Gold?
[-]
  •
02-25-2015, 04:35 PM,
Shade of Gold?
So I have a band I love that has alternating round cut and baguette cut. Its a dainty little thing and I thought I would have a setting made for a new stone I have acquired based on this setting. Basically the plan is to mimic the band's style but affix a mount in the middle to hold the stone.

Initially I figured I would copy the band exactly, making the design is white gold. The way it kind of blends in the with diamonds is nice I think.

But... and here is my hang up, the stone I will be setting is an Emerald cut Moissy! It is in fact my first central stone mossy! And...as moissys do, it has some color to it. Not much, just a slight warmth.

So that has started me questioning whether I would actually like the design made in white gold at all. I am afraid the warmth of the moissy will bother me in the white gold. (For reference the diamonds in the band are H color)

So, an alternative is to make the design in yellow or rose gold. But I don't know if I would like the design in a "colored" gold since it will change the blendy look of the band Undecided

So here are some pictures. In the last one you can see my photoshop magic with the stone overing over the band. (sorry for the terrible terrible lighting in that one)

The Moissy is a 7x5 FB EC and it will be on a band of H color diamonds in some shade of gold to be determined and it will be a size 4 so smaller than the band in the pictures.

Sparkly eye candy found at thefacetlounge.com!

Quote this message in a reply
[-] The following 1 user Likes MrsK's post:
  • stardust
02-25-2015, 05:19 PM,
RE: Shade of Gold?
The stone is going to look warm in all gold colors, but it is going to appear warmer in yellow and rose. Moissanite is different from diamond in that way. If you have a warm diamond, yellow or rose can make the diamond look whiter in contrast. With moissy, the stone picks up the color of the metal more. This has been my experience anyway. In my opinion, if you want it to show less warmth, you should put it in white gold.

One day, I'll be a crazy old lady weighed down by all my baubles and it will be glorious.
[-] The following 2 users Like jenncent's post:
  • blushbliss, MrsK
02-25-2015, 05:42 PM,
^^^^ is my experience too. White metal makes moissy it's whitest. I think yellow is also flattering to the tones of moissy, but it makes the stones warmer. And rose and moissy are not my fav. The rose brings out the green, IMO.

Joseph Schubach Jewelers
please email jenniferc@schubach.com for quotes and inquiries
Visit this user's website
[-]
  •
02-25-2015, 05:48 PM,
(02-25-2015, 05:19 PM)MrsK Wrote: The stone is going to look warm in all gold colors, but it is going to appear warmer in yellow and rose. Moissanite is different from diamond in that way. If you have a warm diamond, yellow or rose can make the diamond look whiter in contrast. With moissy, the stone picks up the color of the metal more. This has been my experience anyway. In my opinion, if you want it to show less warmth, you should put it in white gold.

Yeahthat

[-]
  •
02-25-2015, 08:16 PM,
Yes, I agree with the above white will keep the moissy whitest.

I do love yellow gold though, and think that it would look fab.

I get distracted by shiny things
[-]
  •
02-26-2015, 10:12 AM,
@SparklyObsession I have been lusting over that band for quite a while now, so pretty!! But with the way I treat my rings I would destroy it in a heart beat. Boo! I think that band with the EC stone as a solitaire would be absolutely DIVINE!! I vote for white too!!

[-]
  •
02-26-2015, 03:39 PM,
Another thing to consider is the contrast between the white diamonds and not as white moissy. Some like it, others don't. If you wanted to play up the contrast, you could do the band WG and head YG.

[-]
  •
02-26-2015, 04:47 PM,
(02-26-2015, 03:39 PM)JuBe Wrote: Another thing to consider is the contrast between the white diamonds and not as white moissy. Some like it, others don't. If you wanted to play up the contrast, you could do the band WG and head YG.

I might just LoveLove that idea! That might be the visual set apart that keeps me from obsessing over the warmth. It wouldn't be the first time I have done a white gold band with a yellow gold setting/halo. Maybe its just meant to be my thing.

The hubby suggested palladium as an alternative since its not the bright white of white gold and I do sort of like the look it takes on when it has a slight patina (other than jewelry clerks always saying I need to have my ring replated...)However the engagement ring from, he who shall not be named, my ex was palladium. Is it possible for someone to ruin a metal for you? The thought of it just has some bad vibes for me. Confused