Should I get a setting?
[-]
  •
10-22-2012, 08:01 PM,
Should I get a setting?
I have been saving this stone to set in a Cathy-Waterman style setting with leaves coming up the shank like that Oval singlestone ring on PS. However, Lorissey posting Boston Jeff's cushion has really gotten me hankering again to have this made into a solitaire.

If there was a purple free antique stone I could get (perfect gray stone - be still my heart!) I would prefer that, but I can't find it.

What do you think? should I get one of the poppy setting? If so, What color? I guess the logical thing is white gold...but I really want to do rose gold. Thoughts?
(Stone is 2.59ct, 8.25mm x 8mm)
Sparkly eye candy found at thefacetlounge.com!Sparkly eye candy found at thefacetlounge.com!Sparkly eye candy found at thefacetlounge.com!Sparkly eye candy found at thefacetlounge.com!

Quote this message in a reply
[-]
  •
10-22-2012, 08:46 PM,
RE: Should I get a setting?
Well the good thing about a Poppy setting is that they are less than $300 in 14k I think, so I don't think it would be a waste. And it should be able to hold another 8mm stone, so at some point, it you got the dream setting you wanted, you could reset number of things in this. And the at least you would get to enjoy the stone now.

I am not sure how 14k rose would look, but I am more conservative in metal choices. Do you have any rose gold shanks around you could photograph with the stone?

Joseph Schubach Jewelers
please email jenniferc@schubach.com for quotes and inquiries
Visit this user's website
[-]
  •
10-22-2012, 09:21 PM,
Good Idea Jcent, I will look around this weekend. I guess part of the problem is taht ID jewelry's claw prongs are sooo expensive, I wouldn't really get the stone re-set. I should probably wait. I just want a ring!!!

[-]
  •
10-22-2012, 09:27 PM,
If you know what you really want, and a temp setting would be $500 for setting and claws, I would be tempted to wait too. Hoe clse are you to being able to get the one you really want?

Joseph Schubach Jewelers
[-]
  •
10-23-2012, 03:10 AM,
I think rose gold could look really nice with that stone. Yellow gold would bring out the green in it. Is it an aqua?

[-]
  •
10-23-2012, 08:37 AM,
IT's a cuprian tourmaline. Copper bearing but not highly saturated.

I wouldn't get the ring made until I went back to Turkey, which could be a while. And frankly, it's low on my agenda (I'd rather get some rose diamond pieces) - so probably 5 or 6 years. I e-mailed some chinese sellers about doing the leaf ring, but I would probably be unhappy with the craftmanship (I should take my own advice here). I should probably just set it.

[-]
  •
10-23-2012, 08:48 AM,
What Cathy waterman setting were you thinking of?

[-]
  •
10-23-2012, 09:05 AM,
If you want a solitaire I second Jcent's suggestion Smile

[-]
  •
10-23-2012, 11:55 AM,
I don't like to waste money on temp settings, but I am ok with a $300 temp setting. That seems to be my magic number.

Joseph Schubach Jewelers
[-]
  •
10-23-2012, 07:56 PM,
There aren't really any Cathy Waterman settings in particular that I like...more just the blackened gold look and the setting coming up over the stone.