Shrinkage
[-]
  •
11-15-2012, 03:26 PM,
Shrinkage
I got my wedding set today. I anxiously opened the box and saw something enormous!. It just looks huge. What was I thinking??

I originally picked out 9x6 pear. My wonderful hubby suggested that since shrinkage will sink in I should go for the 10x7. He said: “go for the big one Honey!” He really does know me well.

I absolutely love the ring and proportions on its own. I love the set with the wedding band, they are lovely together. I love having my floral band in between them, it’s my kind of look. Big, bold and blingy has been my thing for years. When I put it on my fingers, I don’t feel comfortable. I am suddenly shying away from the perfect pear ring I longed for all these years. The pear alone is over 2ct eq., the rest of the ring is 1.5ct in little ones. Is it just too much?

Pear halo was made to fit this particular stone dimensions, so switching stone sizes is not an option now. I suppose I could sell it and absorb the loss. It is gorgeous though, and exactly what I wanted… What’s wrong with me?

ETA: I am also at work which is not a place of joy or sparkle friendlies Smile

ETA2: pics Smile

The set by itself
Sparkly eye candy found at thefacetlounge.com!

The set with my wedding band (size 5.5 finger)

The set by itself on my hand (finger size 5.5) Smile

"Life isn't about finding yourself, it's about creating yourself."
Quote this message in a reply
[-]
  •
11-15-2012, 03:31 PM,
RE: Shrinkage
Take away the bands to decrease blingy-ness. Wear it around the house as much as you can for 3ish weeks. Presto change oh ..... shrinkage sets in.

Now:

Worthless

[-]
  •
11-15-2012, 03:40 PM,
3 weeks seems like a long time... My finger felt lonely as soon as I took the wedding bands off, lol. May be it will be sooner.
I am working on the pics, my phone conveniently decided to stop working as I was loading all the pictures.

"Life isn't about finding yourself, it's about creating yourself."
[-]
  •
11-15-2012, 04:04 PM,
oh no!! Hadley will ave wise words for you. Wink Give it a chance though!!

I can't wait to see. Smile

Joseph Schubach Jewelers
please email jenniferc@schubach.com for quotes and inquiries
Visit this user's website
[-]
  •
11-15-2012, 04:26 PM,
YES!!! Give it a chance. I'm horribly rash and you should definitely learn from my mistakes. A few weeks is good advice. And also, maybe you need to try different blingy bands, but thinner ones.

[-]
  •
11-15-2012, 04:43 PM,
I am anxiously waiting for the pics!! It sounds absolutely beautiful though! Definitely wear it around the house. You've gone for a while now without something of substance like that on your hand, so I am not surprised it may have felt shockingly big at first. You know everyone here will give you their honest opinion however ultimately you are the one that needs to love it.

I started off with a 6mm cushion with halo and in less than a year, I am up to an 8mm with halo, so I definitely can attest to how real the whole shrinkage thing is. My finger is a size 5. What size is your finger?

I am super excited to see it on your hand! Patiently waiting... Popcorn

No, I didn't lose my mind. It got scared and ran away.
[-] The following 2 users Like Hadley's post:
  • live-love-laugh+sparkle, Rusalka
11-15-2012, 04:55 PM,
(11-15-2012, 04:04 PM)jenncent Wrote: oh no!! Hadley will ave wise words for you. Wink Give it a chance though!!

Huh? I'm trying to figure out what my wisdom would be here, since I'm having the same issue with my 7.5mm cushion. I affectionately call it my hockey rink. It's huge and I'm having the hardest time getting over feeling self-conscious out in public.

I'm determined, though, because I put a lot of work and cha-ching into the custom bezel setting. Like your halo, Rusalka, it's not changeable now that it's all put together and it's waaay too pretty to let it go. Perhaps you and I should form a reverse shrinkage support group?

Sharp mind, soft belly.
[-] The following 1 user Likes jenncent's post:
  • live-love-laugh+sparkle
11-15-2012, 04:59 PM,
lol, I thought you came to terms with yours now Hadley. NM then. Smile You both need a support group.

I am convinced at this point I could wear a 14mm stone.

Joseph Schubach Jewelers
please email jenniferc@schubach.com for quotes and inquiries
Visit this user's website
[-]
  •
11-15-2012, 05:02 PM,
I got my 8mm OEC after having a tiny bit of a panic attack when my 7.5mm didn't do it for me and I thought I was going crazy. When I got the 8mm hubby thought I was a bit bananas (I have a 3.5 finger). Then yesterday I looked at it and BAM, I was like "wait is this the same ring?" Now it doesn't look "big" it just looks perfect Smile

The key is to wear it around the house a lot while your eye adjusts.

[-]
  •
11-15-2012, 05:09 PM,
(11-15-2012, 04:59 PM)jenncent Wrote: lol, I thought you came to terms with yours now Hadley. NM then. Smile

It's nice of you to give me more credit than I deserve. I'm as dysfunctional as ever. Smile I'm still working on it, though! I'm actually wearing it right now as I type. I wear it about 50% of the time, in exchange with my primary solitaire.

Sharp mind, soft belly.