Size Confusion?
[-]
  •
06-04-2014, 02:38 PM,
Size Confusion?
I am all set to start my next project - an octagonal ring, but I'm so hung up on which size center stone to get.

My ring is size 5.75. I thought I'd want a 6mm but when JooJooBee told/showed me how her 6mm octagonal three stone has the same size appearance as her 2 carat, I seriously reconsidered. However, I want this ring to be dainty but not tiny. Need to find my baby bear in sizing. Smile

I have a 5mm ACC cz in a fishtail setting and it's a bit on the smaller side. Do you think the fishtail setting would add as much metal as an octagon?

Sorry to ramble.. I need to decide fast and I can't seem to settle on anything.

Quote this message in a reply
[-]
  •
06-04-2014, 02:43 PM,
RE: Size Confusion?
Someone on PS with a ring like JJBs said her octagonal bezels added .7mm each, so to be safe I would say it will add 1mm. It depends who is making it though, how delicate it will be. 6mm will end up looking more like 7mm... I still think that is delicate and would not go smaller.

Joseph Schubach Jewelers
please email jenniferc@schubach.com for quotes and inquiries
Visit this user's website
[-]
  •
06-04-2014, 02:51 PM,
(06-04-2014, 02:43 PM)jenncent Wrote: Someone on PS with a ring like JJBs said her octagonal bezels added .7mm each, so to be safe I would say it will add 1mm. It depends who is making it though, how delicate it will be. 6mm will end up looking more like 7mm... I still think that is delicate and would not go smaller.

That makes sense. I was toying with the idea of using 5mm or even 5.5mm but my earrings are each 5mm and I have been having a difficult time visualizing a ring with that size. If the octagonal bezel only adds about 1mm, then ideally, the 6mm size should be fine. Thanks, Jenncent!

[-]
  •
06-04-2014, 03:11 PM,
It really depends on how much bezel there will be, but as long as you keep it minimal in terms of metal, I don't think it will look like 2ct. JJBs has 3 bezels... so I bet the metal from the side ones gives the illusion of just so much larger.

Joseph Schubach Jewelers
please email jenniferc@schubach.com for quotes and inquiries
Visit this user's website
[-]
  •
06-04-2014, 06:40 PM,
I think JJB also has almost a full size smaller finger size, so that may be contributing to the visual difference in appearance.

[-]
  •
06-04-2014, 06:43 PM,
(06-04-2014, 06:40 PM)SparkleFactor Wrote: I think JJB also has almost a full size smaller finger size, so that may be contributing to the visual difference in appearance.

That's true! Plus her fingers look like model fingers - long and slender. My fingers are short and pudgy. Smile

[-]
  •
06-04-2014, 07:30 PM,
(06-04-2014, 06:43 PM)MrsFloppy Wrote:
(06-04-2014, 06:40 PM)SparkleFactor Wrote: I think JJB also has almost a full size smaller finger size, so that may be contributing to the visual difference in appearance.

That's true! Plus her fingers look like model fingers - long and slender. My fingers are short and pudgy. Smile

Aw you're so sweet! My hands are very veiny and bony. My DH tells me they look like a skeleton!!! I think you have lovely hands! I will agree with others that since you're doing a soliatire one bezel vs three will look different! I think you will be fine with 6mm!

[-] The following 1 user Likes Circe's post:
  • CricketBug
06-04-2014, 08:56 PM,
I have an 8.5mm OEC moissanite in an octagonal setting and an 8.7 transitional diamond - in person, I *think* the fishtail setting looks bigger, but since the octagon is higher, in pics ... it looks pretty much the same, and even a smidge bigger! Like Jen said, a lot will depend on the specifics of the setting, I think, so I say go with whichever one you find most pleasing for a start, and emphasize the proportions to get the effect you like.

Sparkly eye candy found at thefacetlounge.com!

[-] The following 2 users Like Lorrissey's post:
  • CricketBug, Glitzy
06-05-2014, 01:48 PM,
I have an 8mm stone in an octagon -- size 6.5

[-] The following 1 user Likes MrsK's post:
  • Lorrissey
06-05-2014, 07:29 PM,
@Lorrissey That is so pretty!