Size Craziness!
[-]
  •
12-04-2014, 02:14 PM,
Size Craziness!
CryCry I can't seem to nail my ideal size. Blah. I'm so frustrated. I have an OEC 8mm ring which I thought was too big, so I bought a 6.5mm OEC ring and now it feels too little. I'm experiencing DSS coupled with the pressure of buying another OEC before they all sell out.

I wanted something with presence and proportionate without looking too gaudy on my hands. I love the big stones that a lot of you sport but they don't look right on me. But teeny tiny center stones get lost on my hands so...

What to do, what to do?

Quote this message in a reply
[-]
  •
12-04-2014, 02:34 PM,
RE: Size Craziness!
Maybe you could try 7.5? Do you have pics of one or both of them on your hand? I'm kinda going thru the same thing, except trying to envision what size i'd like best as I do not yet have the OEC i'm dreaming about Cry

[-]
  •
12-04-2014, 03:13 PM,
I wear a size 7-7.25 and I have found that my sweet and comfortable spot is in the 7mm range. My 7.3mm was a on the edge of my comfort zone for being big and I have a 6.9mm that I adore! It feels just right. 8mm to 6.5 is a huge difference (but then again to me there is a big difference between the 7.3mm next to the 6.9mm). Have you tried buying some CZ's in the different sizes to see what feels best?

[-]
  •
12-04-2014, 03:27 PM,
(12-04-2014, 03:13 PM)Brit Wrote: I wear a size 7-7.25 and I have found that my sweet and comfortable spot is in the 7mm range. My 7.3mm was a on the edge of my comfort zone for being big and I have a 6.9mm that I adore! It feels just right. 8mm to 6.5 is a huge difference (but then again to me there is a big difference between the 7.3mm next to the 6.9mm). Have you tried buying some CZ's in the different sizes to see what feels best?

Ditto all of this. I'm a 6.5 right now and I would say a 6.5-7mm is my comfort zone. I have a sweet little 5.5mm that I wear often, but it's not enough to be my only.

It took me a LONG time and a lot of tries to find what I was comfortable with. For me it was actually less about what it looked like on my hand, and more what the STONE looked like. I found that even as a die hard moissy lover, I love 'em best around 6.5-7mm. I don't know that that's a factor for anyone else.

I'm the same way with diamonds. I actually really love the sparkle of smaller stones more than the flashed of the bigger ones. Not saying I'd kick a 3 carat diamond out of bed for eating crackers, but I'm not pining for one if that makes sense.

[-]
  •
12-04-2014, 04:17 PM,
Can you just get some loose CZ off ebay, just so that you can see all the sizes on your hand? I would go 7.5mm but it could still be too big for you. Maybe 7mm would be your sweet spot.

Joseph Schubach Jewelers
please email jenniferc@schubach.com for quotes and inquiries
Visit this user's website
[-]
  •
12-04-2014, 04:45 PM,
(12-04-2014, 03:13 PM)Brit Wrote: I wear a size 7-7.25 and I have found that my sweet and comfortable spot is in the 7mm range. My 7.3mm was a on the edge of my comfort zone for being big and I have a 6.9mm that I adore! It feels just right. 8mm to 6.5 is a huge difference (but then again to me there is a big difference between the 7.3mm next to the 6.9mm). Have you tried buying some CZ's in the different sizes to see what feels best?

Ditto as well ... In finger size & preference for size, unless it is encased in metal like my LAD ring w/the moissy RB, which is an 8mm. Otherwise 7-7.5mm is my sweet spot for non-colored stones. I do believe the setting style makes a HUGE difference though! If it's a thin solitaire style, I actually prefer a smaller size because the stone is all there is really which makes it stand out more. If it's a large setting (e.g. lots of metal, dome style, etc), I think going a smidge bigger works well.

And I second/third/fourth getting a few inexpensive czs to help you figure it out.

[-]
  •
12-05-2014, 05:58 AM,
I had an 8 mm OMC that was a little too big and wonky, chipped girdle, I had it recut and it was 7.8 mm-it looked just right to me :-) I think baby steps are the way to go, but I would try out w cz!

On other sites, I am aka JadoreDiamonds or ArtdecoLover71 but trying to keep it to one name now :-)

*loving all things diamond, old and new, with art deco flare!
[-]
  •
12-05-2014, 05:59 AM,
oh and my finger is 4/4.25 -I guess I like big bc I just rece\ntly bought a beautiful 10 mm oec cz and its a solitare and I LOVE the coverage :-)

On other sites, I am aka JadoreDiamonds or ArtdecoLover71 but trying to keep it to one name now :-)

*loving all things diamond, old and new, with art deco flare!
[-]
  •
12-05-2014, 12:38 PM,
I too think the setting has a big impact as well. I found my perfect size at a little over 8mm for a size 4 solitaire :p. I agree with everyone else that perhaps some chris cz in different sizes would be the bfastest and cheapest way to figure it all out.

[-]
  •
12-05-2014, 06:28 PM,
This will make me sound wildly OCD, but my theory is that it has to do with nail width. At least on my hands, stones wider than the width of my nail bed look too big. So for me, 8.5/9mm? PERFECT. And it doesn't seem to matter if it's the stone alone or if there's a bezel, halo, etc drawing it out so long as the visual balance is there ....