Sizes of rb vs cushion? Help please!
[-]
  •
03-11-2014, 11:41 PM,
Sizes of rb vs cushion? Help please!
I couldn't find this asked about anywhere, so I wanted to ask ya'll a quicky! As I've never had a cushion cut stone, only rounds, I don't know if a 8.5mm cushion looks the same size face up as a 8.5mm round, or if it's measured diagonally so it actually looks smaller.. If that makes any sense? I've found that 8.5mm in a round is the perrrfect size for me, but I want to test the cushion waters and would be bummed if I went through the ordering/border/duty hassle to get it to Canada, onlyt o find it looks too small.

So, opinions, advice? Thanks!

Quote this message in a reply
[-]
  •
03-12-2014, 01:34 AM,
RE: Sizes of rb vs cushion? Help please!
I think it would look the same size as the round. Is the cushion 8.5mm x 8.5mm? It's only cushions of the same carat weights as the rounds that look smaller. For example 1ct cushions look smaller than 1ct rounds. I'm no expert though........

[-]
  •
03-12-2014, 01:47 AM,
Ohh that makes sense! Yes I should've mentioned, I was speaking of moissanite.

[-] The following 1 user Likes poppyseed's post:
  • MrsK
03-12-2014, 04:58 AM,
An 8.5mm cushion will face up closest to a 9mm round Smile the corners on the cushion add surface area. If you measure cushion on the diagonal it will measure approximately 9mm.

Visit this user's website
[-]
  •
03-12-2014, 05:36 AM,
hahaha, that just shows how much I know! I really shouldnt have tried to answer as ive never owned a cushion. Sorry Sparkledancer and thanks Poppyseed

[-]
  •
03-12-2014, 07:20 AM,
(03-12-2014, 04:58 AM)poppyseed Wrote: An 8.5mm cushion will face up closest to a 9mm round Smile the corners on the cushion add surface area. If you measure cushion on the diagonal it will measure approximately 9mm.

Yeahthat

If an 8.5mm round is the perfect size for you, then I'd suggest you go for an 8mm cushion.

[-]
  •
03-12-2014, 09:58 AM,
My 9.5mm round somehow still seemed smaller than the 9mm cushion it replaced.

[-]
  •
03-12-2014, 11:56 AM,
Hm interesting interesting. Maybe i should order a few cushion sizes in cz just to be sure. For some reason I thought the cushion moissy measurements were corner to corner, not flat edge to flat edge. I wenta nd made a diagram last night of a 8.5 round and an 8.5 cushion and oddly while the same size, the cushion did look bigger just because there were additional corners. Thanks for the input everyone!

[-]
  •
03-12-2014, 12:37 PM,
(03-12-2014, 11:56 AM)SparkleDancer Wrote: Hm interesting interesting. Maybe i should order a few cushion sizes in cz just to be sure. For some reason I thought the cushion moissy measurements were corner to corner, not flat edge to flat edge. I wenta nd made a diagram last night of a 8.5 round and an 8.5 cushion and oddly while the same size, the cushion did look bigger just because there were additional corners. Thanks for the input everyone!

@SparkleDancer - I would highly recommend testing the waters with cz's! I did just that and was really shocked...my preferences were not at all what I would have guessed. Having them in hand is the best way and will save you heaps of trouble later.

[-]
  •
03-12-2014, 01:47 PM,
Anyone know where I can order loose czs in different sizes.. where it won't take months to get to Canada? Tongue