So yesterday I went down to the local pawn shop
[-] The following 1 user Likes lucky.b's post:
  • Lorrissey
04-28-2013, 10:00 AM,
So yesterday I went down to the local pawn shop
The reason was twofold actually. I'd been meaning to dump a ton of yellow gold jewelry that's been sitting in my closet, and I'd promised my 8 yo DD I would go through all my old stuff to see if there was anything sparkly she could have since she is very much a girl of our bling hearts Heart I just have to share this story somewhere because I walked out so freaking amazed and excited!

I inherited a TON of my Grandmother's QVC addiction when she passed away a few years ago. Mostly it seemed to be 10K stuff, and I honestly didn't think it was anything that was going to bring much. The diamonds in every setting were pure I's under my loupe - frozen spit for everything, but they did sparkle. Because they were so small in their settings maybe? I also had some 14K chains and stuff from when DH was deployed to Egypt and Turkey 15 yrs ago. I was thinking I might be lucky to get $350 or so, but I really didn't know anything except gold is fairly decent right now.

Two guys had to go through everything and one gentleman remarked that it was going to be nice for me that many of my pieces were marked "Plumb", which apparently means the gold content is higher than normal karat weight? I still don't know on that one. So I had a pile of 10 10K rings with insignificant amts of stones, and a pendant or two. Then I had a pile of several 14K chains, pendants, and bracelets, and 11 rings.

Y'all. I got TWO THOUSAND DOLLARS for everything. I had over an OUNCE of gold. This particular shop in town pays 65-70% for scrap, which I suppose if I was willing to shop around I could have done even better. But we leave for Fiji next Sunday, I was truly just trying to get it out of the house and *maybe* make a few hundred dollars, and mostly I'd just been trying to find my little one some rings or something she could play with Blush Talk about being stunned speechless! I actually thought they were kidding at first and waited for a moment for them to say "Naw, just kidding, here's what we are actually willing to give you".

Of course, it took a bit of time since they did allllll the tests: The louping, the magnets, the acid tests, some other thing, then they had to call the corporate office, and take photos in case I might have stolen goods LOL

The bad thing is I still have probably at least 2/3 the amount of what I took in still sitting here. Gigi left me and my girls all her sapphire (several of us have Sept bdays) and ruby and a few opal rings. NONE of them are going to be anything we will ever want to wear. I just feel like I *should* keep them. I told DH I have considered dumping them and having ONE beautiful ring made for each girl that they would actually want to wear, instead of 7 rings they'll never touch, but I just don't feel like it's right somehow. I wish I could ask my Gigi what she would say!

Not too bad for only my third time ever in a pawn shop, and the first time I've ever done more than look LOL

Quote this message in a reply
[-]
  •
04-28-2013, 10:03 AM,
RE: So yesterday I went down to the local pawn shop
Woot score!!! That is awesome!!!! No advice on whether to scrap the rest or not. I think one piece would be good for sentimentality sake, personally, but preferably a piece that your Gigi really wore and put her mark on. At least for me. But, what is done cannot be undone, so think it through. Wink

Joseph Schubach Jewelers
please email jenniferc@schubach.com for quotes and inquiries
Visit this user's website
[-]
  •
04-28-2013, 10:28 AM,
(04-28-2013, 10:03 AM)jenncent Wrote: Woot score!!! That is awesome!!!! No advice on whether to scrap the rest or not. I think one piece would be good for sentimentality sake, personally, but preferably a piece that your Gigi really wore and put her mark on. At least for me. But, what is done cannot be undone, so think it through. Wink

That's absolutely true. The unfortunate part is I didn't live near her after I was a teen, so I didn't see most of what she wore, and she changed her jewelry with every piece of clothing. She never had a "signature" piece. I'd have to ask my mom if there was any piece that was of significance or if she thinks Gigi would like my idea. It's sat there forever and a day, though, so I'm in absolutely no rush Smile

The 3 girls have all gone through it and declared it not their style, but love knowing that they have jewelry marked as "theirs" ... which I think it sweet. I can remember knowing that same thing about all of Gigi's jewels and even though I never wore it, either, it's the knowing that someone loves you enough to leave you their *jewelry* that is so cool Heart

[-]
  •
04-28-2013, 10:48 AM,
Wow that is awesome!

[-]
  •
04-28-2013, 11:15 AM,
Woohoo! Now you can buy yourself something sparkly while in Fiji, to commemorate your trip. Wink

Sharp mind, soft belly.
[-]
  •
04-28-2013, 11:21 AM,
That is fantastic!

One day, I'll be a crazy old lady weighed down by all my baubles and it will be glorious.
[-]
  •
04-28-2013, 11:32 AM,
Congrats!!!!

That's an awesome haul!

[-]
  •
04-28-2013, 11:46 AM,
WOW! Congrats to you on a great score!

[-]
  •
04-28-2013, 12:08 PM,
That's amazing! What an awesome surprise!

Something similar happened to me not long ago - I sent a bunch of scrap gold to Rio Grande (apparently they pay 85% of the market price for scrap gold), and I wasn't expecting a ton... they sent me a check for $1800! I was shocked. Gotta love that.

Re: your grandma's rings, I'd keep them, but I'm sentimental like that Smile I have a very old ring of my grandmother's that I never really wear, though it's pretty. It's an oval smoky quartz set in a yellow gold bezel with some milgrain - come to think of it, the setting would probably be a hit here lol. But it was my grandma's, so I'll keep it forever Smile

[-]
  •
04-28-2013, 01:46 PM,
That is so awesome! Way to score!