Spinel...need advice
[-]
  •
02-02-2013, 03:26 PM,
Spinel...need advice
Is this a good price/color? I really am drawn to it but even after research, I am not up on spinel. I love the purple/blue color combo! Not sure if the carat size would lend itself to a nice ring - something simple like a small halo around it.

http://thegemtrader.com/Nov12VSpinelPage.htm

Quote this message in a reply
[-]
  •
02-02-2013, 03:30 PM,
RE: Spinel...need advice
That is a gorgeous spinel! I'd buy it in a heart best if I could right now. Seriously...it's beautiful.

(Blue) Spinel is hard to come by without a strong grey undertone, which is why that one is expensive. Purple/violet spinels also tend to be greyish. I personally don't mind some grey, it depends on the stone and its purpose.

Take a look at gemcal.com

[-]
  •
02-02-2013, 03:41 PM,
TheGemTrader always has very competitive pricing. I think it's a nice color, low saturation. A spinel is a hard stone that is good for everyday wear, it's also super sparkly - like a diamond.

[-]
  •
02-02-2013, 03:45 PM,
Wow gemcal is much cheaper - but the spinel colors do not look anything like the one I am looking at - I guess that is the price difference?

[-]
  •
02-02-2013, 03:49 PM,
The stones on gemcal are dark/gray and not precision cut. If you don't mind a significant gray/brown modifier, some of the purples seem like they would be okay

[-]
  •
02-02-2013, 03:57 PM,
Yea, they are much cheaper because they have grey undertones. They are still pretty, IMO, depends on your budget I guess Smile

[-]
  •
02-02-2013, 03:59 PM,
(02-02-2013, 03:49 PM)Turks Wrote: The stones on gemcal are dark/gray and not precision cut. If you don't mind a significant gray/brown modifier, some of the purples seem like they would be okay

Many of the stones on gemcal are precision cut actually, not all though. Same goes for gem trader.

[-]
  •
02-02-2013, 04:03 PM,
That's why I am so interested in it - sparkles and is an every day stone. I am really drawn to that stone and I could afford it....just wanted to confirm that it is a nice as I think it is and worth that price.

[-]
  •
02-02-2013, 04:06 PM,
Try here too, swala has some nice spinels

http://www.swalagemtraders.com/search-ge...rom=search

[-]
  •
02-02-2013, 04:08 PM,
If you can afford it, get it, I would! It's very pretty. Kind of whimsical or something Smile