4 25.00%
Total 16 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Stud earring upgrade, thoughts?
[-]
  •
06-07-2014, 10:59 PM,
Stud earring upgrade, thoughts?
Alright ladies, so the news of my hubby being offered a job is sinking in, and the optimistic side of me is making her voice known, so, while there are multiple sparkly purchases on my list, the one I want to plan for first before any other is to get an upgrade on my stud earrings.

I bought a pair of 5.5mm moissy studs from MCo 3 or 4 years ago when I was still in school, and they were the first piece of really nice jewelry I'd ever owned. At first, they were perfect and everything I could hope for, but as time went on and my knowledge increased, I could see that the stones were cut differently, one gets a terrible fish-eye effect, but they sparkle and make me happy, and I've worn them nearly every single day for the last 3 or 4 years.

So, I want a new pair with matching stones, and while I really like how comfortable the martini settings are for me, I don't like only having 3 prongs, drives me nuts when I look in the mirror and both ears don't match up.

My OEC setting has 6 prongs that are super delicately clawed and are almost invisible, and I think that is what I want for my new studs too. Big Grin

Oh, but other than that I can't decide on if I want to do palladium or platinum, and should I upgrade to 6mm or 6.5mm? Should I have poppyseed get me a fabulous pair cut like hers, or should I get the new H&A moissy (which may depend on pricing)?

Inspiration photos for new earrings:

Sparkly eye candy found at thefacetlounge.com!

And perspective shot of me with the 5.5mm stones:

Quote this message in a reply
[-]
  •
06-07-2014, 11:54 PM,
RE: Stud earring upgrade, thoughts?
@MissCassie - You are so gorgeous and your hair looks fantastic in the second photo!! I actually really like the size of the 5.5mm studs on your ears and would just upgrade to a little bit bigger if these are for everyday wear. I would go for 6.5mm for special occasions - but that is just me as I cant pull off large studs when worn everyday.

Oh and I didnt say so in your other thread, but I'm so happy for you about your good news re your husband finally landing a job at Lockheed Martin . And good on you for working so hard to get where you are now and planning for your future life. I was in the same position as you before I got married and I know its not nice to always be stressed about money and bills. But my DH and I put our heads down and bums up and we now own our house and are living comfortably with our 2 little kiddos. We may never be wealthy but we have everything we need (and I get sparklies on the side now and then too!) I wish you all the best in getting those student loans paid off, your plan is a sound one........

She who leaves a trail of glitter is never forgotten
[-]
  •
06-08-2014, 06:19 AM,
You are so cute!

I vote platinum, same size, regular new moissy.

Reasons being that I've had both martini studs and 8 prong studs with the same size stones and the prongs make them look so much bigger. Combined with the new extra sparkly stones, i reckon these would be killer.

Platinum is my fave metal by a long shot.

I recommend the locking backs too - these work a treat and after losing countless earrings it's nice to relax with them. I also wear my moissy Martinis almost every day!

Congrats to you both on the job and moving on with life. Smile

[-]
  •
06-08-2014, 07:12 AM,
If you can wait, I'd buy some cheap cz in 6 and 6.5mm sizes to wear around to determine how well you like that on yourself. I'm in the smaller camp. Your features and head are all petite so I say stick with the size you have. But it's really such a personal choice.

[-] The following 1 user Likes jenncent's post:
  • stardust
06-08-2014, 09:22 AM,
I vote platinum, 6.5mm in either new stones or H&A. As long as they are well cut I would not be too fussed with perfect H&A or not.

Joseph Schubach Jewelers
please email jenniferc@schubach.com for quotes and inquiries
Visit this user's website
[-] The following 1 user Likes MrsK's post:
  • stardust
06-08-2014, 09:53 AM,
I would do 6.5mm in platinum. I think for earrings, I would just go with the new cut stones. I wouldn't pay the higher price for H&A.

[-]
  •
06-08-2014, 10:05 AM,
Quick reply as I'm on my phone,
A. You're adorable!
B. Congratulations on DH!! Best of luck for a smooth transition, and new bling for you!
C. I really like the size you are wearing already for everyday! At least for me believability is key.

[-]
  •
06-08-2014, 11:00 AM,
Agreed, I'm not too worried about perfect H&A for earrings as long as the stone match and are well cut, which is currently the main reason I want a new pair. If the ones I have now matched I would probably wear them for a few more years before upgrading, but since it does bother me and they are an every day item, the only reason I'd consider the H&A is so that they would match, but whoever I order from should be able to sift through enough stones to find a matching set for me, right?

I do want at least 6mm, as I've always wanted my studs just a smidge larger, and believability is not an issue for me, as I don't try to pass my moissanite off as diamonds.

Question though - why platinum over palladium? For something that might need work in the future (rings for sizing for instance), I know to go for gold or platinum because all jewelers will work with that, but for earrings (which I imagine shouldn't ever need to be serviced in my lifetime), wouldn't the palladium be lighter and more comfortable? Or do you think for something this small the weight difference is unnoticeable?

[-]
  •
06-08-2014, 11:35 AM,
Yes, they should. We do it all the time, lol.

As for weight, my plat studs are very light.

Joseph Schubach Jewelers
please email jenniferc@schubach.com for quotes and inquiries
Visit this user's website
[-] The following 1 user Likes stardust's post:
  • EarthDiva
06-08-2014, 11:42 AM,
Platinum, 6.5mm and WHEN DID YOU CUT YOUR HAIR?! It looks wonderful!