THE DREADED SHIRINKAGE!!!
[-]
  •
11-25-2012, 07:35 AM,
THE DREADED SHIRINKAGE!!!
I hate it so very much. I just bought a ring I've been wanting forEVER pre-loved. It's so ridiculously beautiful, and suprisingly well made. Well, suprising to me anyway. It's wonderful....except the stones are too small.

I kind of knew that going in. I like bling, and finger coverage is important to me. I don't need huge stones, necessarily. I just like a certain look on my finger if that makes sense. I knew this wasn't going to spready enough.

I'm so frustrated. I'm not in a place to have this ring made from scratch, and even if I were I haven't found a setting I like as much as this. I love it but from the moment I put it on, I was like, "uh oh."

Sigh. I know it's not a big deal, but I'm bummed out. Just venting. I'm going to wear it for a bit and see if I settle into liking the way it looks on me, but I don't have super high hopes. I know myself too well. The silly thing is to have it be what I want the stones just need another mm on them. But man...that would make all the difference!

Whine, whine, whine, whine, whine, whine, whine. (In my head to the tune of "deck the halls"-lol.)

Quote this message in a reply
[-]
  •
11-25-2012, 09:39 AM,
RE: THE DREADED SHIRINKAGE!!!
Oh no! What size are the stones?

Worthless

One day, I'll be a crazy old lady weighed down by all my baubles and it will be glorious.
[-]
  •
11-25-2012, 09:43 AM,
it's a 3 stone. 6mm and two 4,5mms.

My PERFECT ring would be 7mm and 5,5mm.

You'd think that wouldn't be enough to whine about, but yet...

I'll get some photos in a bit. It's really SO beautiful. I'm just bummed it doesn't look right on my hand. Cry

[-]
  •
11-25-2012, 09:48 AM,
Awww... where is it from? You mentioned you were surprised it's well made. My current 3 stone has 7.5mm and 4mm stones. Years ago, I had one that had 6.5mm and 4mm diamonds. I didn't like that one as much as the one I have now. That 1mm makes a big difference.

One day, I'll be a crazy old lady weighed down by all my baubles and it will be glorious.
[-]
  •
11-25-2012, 10:32 AM,
MrsK Wrote:Awww... where is it from? You mentioned you were surprised it's well made. My current 3 stone has 7.5mm and 4mm stones. Years ago, I had one that had 6.5mm and 4mm diamonds. I didn't like that one as much as the one I have now. That 1mm makes a big difference.

It really does! I had one that was 7mm and 5,5mm years ago. It's a BIG difference.

Well made is over-reaching. It's heavier than I expected. Well made it isn't. It's a preowned item from the bistro.

Sparkly eye candy found at thefacetlounge.com!

Sparkly eye candy found at thefacetlounge.com!

[-]
  •
11-25-2012, 10:56 AM,
It is so pretty! Are they rubies?

[-]
  •
11-25-2012, 11:10 AM,
lab rubies, yes.

it is VERY pretty. Just not on my hand. Confused

[-]
  •
11-25-2012, 04:03 PM,
It looks lovely!! But if you are not happy with it now, you won't grow into it. Sad I need a certain finger coverage too.

It looks like a Joyce ring?

Joseph Schubach Jewelers
please email jenniferc@schubach.com for quotes and inquiries
Visit this user's website
[-]
  •
11-25-2012, 06:34 PM,
That's what I'm worried about. Cry

Right now I'm wearing it, but I keep looking at it and the only reaction I've ever had besides my heart practically stopping because it's so beautiful (the colors of the stones) is that it's "cute." I don't want "cute." I don't want a honker necessarily, but I want the stones to cover my finger width wise. I want the outer edges of the rubies to be at the sides of my fingers. Right now there's 2-3mm of finger outside the rubies.

But I can't afford to do it in the sizes I want. I mean, I could save and do it, but it will be more than 3x the price of this one. I could wear it for now, save up and when it's time to pull the trigger sell this one. I'm sure I can make my money back, or just about.

It is a Joyce ring-good catch.

I'm really sad. It's from moissco originally. This ring, while not as flimsy as I expected, it has shoddy craftsmanship. I don't like any of their settings, so when it comes time to do it the way I want it I'll have to go elsewhere. Just blah. It's funny how something so small can knock you off your game, no?

[-]
  •
11-25-2012, 06:54 PM,
When you say that you have 2-3mm of open space, does that mean each side or total? This is a long shot at best, but... does it have a prong basket that would allow you to add a small Moissy on each side so that it's a 5-stone? It seems like starting over would be more reasonable, but hey, you never know.

Since you love the stones so much, what about resetting them into inexpensive silver, in a setting that either spaces them farther apart or adds a couple more stones? Did you get a good enough deal that you could consider them a loose stone purchase and then sell the current setting either resale or for scrap?

Or would the rubies make fabulous earrings and then you could get a few bucks back by selling the center stone?

Sharp mind, soft belly.