Thanks Grama
[-] The following 1 user Likes MoreSparkles!'s post:
  • Rusalka
01-06-2013, 06:31 PM,
Thanks Grama
This ring is from the 1950's-1960's from Russia. It's not my style, but I don't know if I should alter it because I don't want to mess it up. I want to respect the history and all.

I'm pretty plain in my jewelry tastes, cool color stones go in white metal; warm color stones go in warm metal. It also windows like crazy. BUT this is very unique and antique so I thought I would share it with you. Not sure what it is or where it was purchased. I think it's an Alexandrite because those were popular in Russia back then. I don't think it's a CZ because I don't see scratches or clouding for such an old ring.

Thoughts? What to do with it? Do we like grama's taste Wink

Sparkly eye candy found at thefacetlounge.com!

Quote this message in a reply
[-]
  •
01-06-2013, 06:56 PM,
RE: Thanks Grama
You know what I want to do? Retain the grandma history and style by keeping the setting, but insert a diamond or moissy baguette in each of the chevron points to give it a little more character and pretty it up a bit. And rounds on the very bottom points since they aren't elongated enough to hold a baguette.

Sharp mind, soft belly.
[-]
  •
01-06-2013, 07:05 PM,
I think it's really cool. I would just change out the center stone to something you like more.

[-]
  •
01-06-2013, 07:06 PM,
I was wondering about the stone, maybe a LC emerald or radiant CZ? But I'm wondering if grama would be sad that I'm messing with her ring?

[-]
  •
01-06-2013, 07:08 PM,
Maybe if it were really polished up you would like it better? What is the gold type? You could always do on of the newer lab alexandrites that don't window so much. That way it stays near to the same. It is a pretty ring.

[-]
  •
01-06-2013, 07:08 PM,
It's very pretty! I actually quite like it as-is.

If that's a natural alexandrite, it would be worth an absolute fortune. Could be a simulant, or maybe a tanzanite?

[-]
  •
01-06-2013, 07:12 PM,
Does it change color? My mom has two sim alexandrites that my dad bought in the 70's in Egypt. Set in 22k yellow gold. They are pretty but the Russians have been making sim alex's for many many years.

[-]
  •
01-06-2013, 07:16 PM,
We were really poor in Russia, so I think it's a sim. It doesn't really change color, it goes from blue to blue Smile It would be fun to have it checked out though. The metal is "Russian gold" as my mom calls it, it's yellow gold with an orange-ish, pink tint.

[-]
  •
01-06-2013, 07:27 PM,
That's really cool! I read somewhere that Russian gold is rose gold.

One day, I'll be a crazy old lady weighed down by all my baubles and it will be glorious.
[-]
  •
01-06-2013, 07:32 PM,
I was showing my mom this rose gold ring I liked and she was like "I hate rose gold, it's communist gold." Ummm, ok mom .

She's a bit of a rose gold hater after all the adventures in Russia. But I like it :p
It is funny though because my father in law has a rose gold wedding band, you don't see that too often on men is the USA.