To keep or not to keep...that is the question
[-]
  •
04-26-2014, 01:44 PM,
To keep or not to keep...that is the question
I found MORE cracks in the setting for my twinstone. Cry I really love this ring but I am just not sure that even if they fix it I will be comfortable wearing it and I do not need to spend money on something I am afraid of.

Here are the pics of MY delicate ring with the damage:

one one side of the shank there are two cracks:
Sparkly eye candy found at thefacetlounge.com!

on the other side, one big one:
Sparkly eye candy found at thefacetlounge.com!

I'm beside myself. Would you, or have you, held on to a piece that you purchased that looked like this at the onset, or is that a reason to run in the other direction? Talk some sense into me please.

Just FYI-as I stated in the other thread, the jeweler is going to repair this free of charge. I'm just worried about things happening in the future.

Quote this message in a reply
[-]
  •
04-26-2014, 01:58 PM,
RE: To keep or not to keep...that is the question
I would take it to a trusted jeweler locally to ask what is causing the cracks (ie an objective evaluation). If the piece is not well made to begin with, it potentially can crack again. Is it a vintage or repro piece?

If your local jeweler thinks it can be fixed without future problems then I would go ahead and do that with the seller. If he/she says it will likely be problematic in the future I would return it for a refund.

Visit this user's website
[-]
  •
04-26-2014, 02:04 PM,
(04-26-2014, 01:58 PM)poppyseed Wrote: I would take it to a trusted jeweler locally to ask what is causing the cracks (ie an objective evaluation). If the piece is not well made to begin with, it potentially can crack again. Is it a vintage or repro piece?

If your local jeweler thinks it can be fixed without future problems then I would go ahead and do that with the seller. If he/she says it will likely be problematic in the future I would return it for a refund.

Thanks, Poppy! It's vintage. I can go to a different jeweler, but the seller is local. I talked to the bench yesterday. I can seek out a second opinion from a more objective source, certainly, but the bench's opinion was that he could fix it, but it would always be at risk.

Knowing that, I'm not sure what to do.

[-]
  •
04-26-2014, 02:12 PM,
Poo.......so sorry about that..........

I think poppy gave you great advice though!

[-]
  •
04-26-2014, 02:23 PM,
Noooo! Sadness! Those cracks would make me super nervous, but I have no idea structurally.

[-]
  •
04-26-2014, 02:31 PM,
This is hard. I think if it were me, whether or not I would keep it would depend on how much money I spent on it. I imagine you spent a good chunk and for that you should be able to wear it a good bit, but the delicacy is preventing you from that. On the other hand, if you got an amazing deal, I'd be more inclined to keep it and see how much wear I could get out of it. If you wear it and have more breaks happen, get it repaired again and maybe wear it less.

This is no help, I know. I hate this for you. Sad

[-] The following 1 user Likes MicheleZ's post:
  • LaLa
04-26-2014, 02:54 PM,
I'd look at it like this...are those diamonds worth what you paid for the the entire thing? If so, you just got the mount for free. Have it repaired and wear it - if it ever becomes unwearable and you REALLY love that design, have it remade.

There's broke....and then there is whatever I am...*cry*
[-]
  •
04-26-2014, 03:00 PM,
What Michele said.

Joseph Schubach Jewelers
please email jenniferc@schubach.com for quotes and inquiries
[-]
  •
04-26-2014, 03:04 PM,
(04-26-2014, 02:54 PM)MicheleZ Wrote: I'd look at it like this...are those diamonds worth what you paid for the the entire thing? If so, you just got the mount for free. Have it repaired and wear it - if it ever becomes unwearable and you REALLY love that design, have it remade.

I suppose I should figure that out, huh?

It's really hard because cut seems to be so much a part of the gals.

[-]
  •
04-26-2014, 04:41 PM,
I am in the minority here. Please understand I am only thinking from my own mildly crazy perspective.
I think you should return it for a refund. It is such a fine piece and I can't really see how they can work with the existing platinum and ensure complete integrity of the piece and that this won't occur again in the near future. I also feel that even if you keep it you will feel less confident of it (and wearing it) after this happening.

But I do agree that if the diamonds are worth well more than you paid for the whole shebang it might be worth replicating.

I get distracted by shiny things