Totally Confused
[-]
  •
07-13-2014, 01:33 PM,
Totally Confused
I spoke with my supplier of moissanite about the new, whiter material with the newer cut. I described that it has a higher crown and smaller table, much like the cut of a diamond. I was not discussing the hearts and arrows, just the newer cut. She is a very knowledgeable person and she shocked me by saying they will not have it. She said that this particular cut comes from another supplier, not where they get moissanite. I thought everyone gets moissanite from the same place, namely Charles and Colvard. She said they have the very newest material on the market but not this new cut.

So, where is the newer cut moissanite coming from? Does any of this make sense? Poppyseed's stone looks gorgeous and I am very interested in it when I know for sure the size I need. I won't know until end of the month. Is this limited material because now I think it won't be available for long? I know the hearts and arrows material is limited to 250 pieces according to Mike at MoisCo. I hope these new cuts are not just a tease for a short period of time.

Quote this message in a reply
[-]
  •
07-13-2014, 02:08 PM,
RE: Totally Confused
Well, I think she is just not aware of it.... C&C never actually said they were changing the cut and we spoke to staff at C&C even that were unaware. The changes we have all noticed have happened over a period of time and I do not think it was ever an official thing. It is just how they are being but now, and distributors have them whether they know it or not. Wink

Joseph Schubach Jewelers
please email jenniferc@schubach.com for quotes and inquiries
Visit this user's website
[-]
  •
07-13-2014, 02:20 PM,
We get ALL get our stones from Charles and Colvard. My stone and all the others we have sold like it came from Charles and Colvard via our distributor(s). Not sure what your supplier is referring to.

All recently cut stones, from the past year or so are from the whiter rough. When moissanite was initially introduced back in the 90's, the cut was very similar to a diamond, later they changed it to the splintery facets and flatter crown, as they claimed this cut seemed to minimize the body color (remember the blue/green/teal/yellow of old).

Moissanite rough has come a long way since then. The whiter rough is in unlimited supply. There is no need to use the former funky cut any longer. I think this current cut has just evolved because of the new whiter rough. I don't think C&C would necessarily call this a "new"cut. I'm sure with the new rough they found they could just go back to their original more diamond like cut.

There are still plenty of stones out there that are not optimal cut, just like diamonds. We select ours for the best cut and color and reject the duds.

[-]
  •
07-13-2014, 02:58 PM,
I have a related question - on WB someone said that since April 2013 there is no such thing as "enhanced" moissanite. Apparently the whitest unenhanced stones get sold as FB, and the rest are sold as classic. Does anyone know if this this true?

I tried to stay away from enhanced because I was under the impression that the unenhanced classics were more sparkly, fiery, and had more depth. If the new generation of FBs are really just whiter unenhanced, then this changes everything! I need to do some shopping right away!

Here is the original quote by "ceebree" on WB:
Quote:There is actually no such thing as “enhanced” moissanite anymore. Ever since April 2013, all moissanite is unenhanced. The whitest stones get sold as FB (forever brilliant) and the rest are sold as classic (old “unenhanced”). I have a 1.25c classic and it looks totally white 99% of the time! I am very glad I didn’t pay for FB since mine’s so white. Good luck with your setting!

[-]
  •
07-13-2014, 03:00 PM,
@eucalyptus That is true. They used to use Serenity to do the FB treatment, but they no longer need that with the new rough.

[-]
  •
07-13-2014, 04:40 PM,
(07-13-2014, 03:00 PM)MrsK Wrote: @eucalyptus That is true. They used to use Serenity to do the FB treatment, but they no longer need that with the new rough.

Thank you! I guess it's time to message Poppy for a new purchase Drool

[-]
  •
07-13-2014, 05:51 PM,
This is very interesting information. Why such a wide spread between regular and FB Moissy? Makes no sense if they are basically the same material and nothing special is being done to any of it. I have always been able to buy the FB for a small amount more than the regular. The premium for FB is nuts. I'm happy to know that the "new" cut is really the norm now. I just need to buy a new stone to see for myself.

[-]
  •
07-14-2014, 07:47 AM,
Thanks for asking @Barlan! I have been a little befuddled about this and have gotten some interesting responses from different retailers about the "new" cut and "whiter rough". What is it about there being only enough rough for 250 H&A cuts?? I must have missed that post!!

[-]
  •
07-14-2014, 08:18 AM,
(07-13-2014, 05:51 PM)Barlan Wrote: This is very interesting information. Why such a wide spread between regular and FB Moissy? Makes no sense if they are basically the same material and nothing special is being done to any of it. I have always been able to buy the FB for a small amount more than the regular. The premium for FB is nuts. I'm happy to know that the "new" cut is really the norm now. I just need to buy a new stone to see for myself.

Probably because there is less of the really whitest rough available. I'm guessing the majority of it falls into the lower color range.

[-]
  •
07-14-2014, 08:21 AM,
(07-14-2014, 07:47 AM)Brit Wrote: Thanks for asking @Barlan! I have been a little befuddled about this and have gotten some interesting responses from different retailers about the "new" cut and "whiter rough". What is it about there being only enough rough for 250 H&A cuts?? I must have missed that post!!

I don't think rough availability has anything to do with this issue. For some unknown reason they have decided to make these cuts a limited option and in only 2 sizes. Hopefully that will change at some point.