Ugh.
[-] The following 1 user Likes OoohShiny's post:
  • Windblownhair
07-26-2017, 02:55 AM,
Sad  Ugh.
So today was another one of those days where my jewelry knowledge did not bring me joy.

I want to know if this stuff has happened you any of you before, I know many of you have knowledge that far exceeds mine, so I suspect you guys also get questions from people about items they own.  

So, I had a work friend contact me asking if I would cast my eyes over an expensive pair of earrings she had been gifted by and ex as she wants to sell them. I of course agreed, stating that I am not a gemologist, but I may be able to give her a guestimate.

The earrings were cheap sterling silver + CZ, and I felt like poo having to reveal that to her :/

I have also had the displeasure of advising someone that their 'very expensive' family heirloom pearls were not actually real pearls when they asked for my opinion about their value. (They were imitation, no tooth feel, and a couple had paint chipping off., the clasp was base metal.)

I don't really know the reason for my rant other than to share my pain and see if I am alone or not. I hate having to tell people the truth :/ I feel like I have pooped on their rainbow.  Hide

I get distracted by shiny things
Quote this message in a reply
[-] The following 1 user Likes Slick's post:
  • OoohShiny
07-26-2017, 02:55 PM,
RE: Ugh.
I too have been asked to look something over. It wasn't 'real' either and I felt bad. But on the other hand, if they're asking it's because they really don't know and you were kind to help. I agree it's hard but honest opinions are appreciated I am sure. It's not your fault it wasn't genuine. Wink

[-]
  •
07-27-2017, 09:04 PM,
I always feel bad when someone shows me a new piece of jewelry and I can tell it is cheape. So I can get it!

One day, I'll be a crazy old lady weighed down by all my baubles and it will be glorious.
[-] The following 2 users Like Gemma's post:
  • OoohShiny, Slick
08-05-2017, 02:39 PM,
I think the worst is when you get it from your husband and he meant so well, he he!

[-] The following 2 users Like CricketBug's post:
  • OoohShiny, Slick
08-05-2017, 06:23 PM,
(08-05-2017, 02:39 PM)Gemma Wrote: I think the worst is when you get it from your husband and he meant so well, he he!

Crackup  I know that feeling...   Hide Angel

[-] The following 2 users Like jenncent's post:
  • OoohShiny, Slick
08-06-2017, 01:49 PM,
I have had people want my help when trying to sell something too. Always mall stuff that has terrible diamond stats and that they overpaid for. They don't understand how they could have over paid so much when it is really worth so much less. Sad

Joseph Schubach Jewelers
please email jenniferc@schubach.com for quotes and inquiries
Visit this user's website