Unenhanced moissanite versus enhanced and Amora Gem
[-]
  •
07-11-2014, 09:14 AM,
Unenhanced moissanite versus enhanced and Amora Gem
Hi everyone,

Ever since I caught whiff of the new unenhanced Moissanite being made from whiter rough, I have been obsessively stalking this thread and other forum boards for pictures and observations. I was hoping to share my own observations and get some input from other members as well.

I have never owned or seen an unenhanced moissanite in person, but I am lucky enough to have been able to compare the following gems side by side (all round cut): 1 carat very good cut diamond, 1 carat triple X cut diamond, 1 carat Forever Brilliant Moissanite, and a 1 carat Amora Gem Ultra H&A.

I am not super color sensitive (anything I and above is gravy), but I am very bothered by how flat and plasticky the enhanced moissies and AG look from certain angles and a normal viewing distance (compared to diamonds). Under spotlighting all the gems were gorgeous, but in outdoor and indoor diffuse lighting, the AG in particular seemed to really lack... depth. At certain angles the stones seemed to be cloudy and not clear (note that my AG is IF). I can't complain too much on crispness since these stones are doubly refractive, but that flat milky plasticky look really bugs me!

Then after spending a long time scouring WB and TFL, I started noticing something - the unenhanced Moissanites appear to have the depth that I'm looking for! And now the unenhanced are made from whiter rough and appear to have better quality cut! Too good to be true!

It will take another week for my order to get here- I'm really hoping that this new unenhanced RB Moissanite will be "the one!"

So my question is, has anyone else observed that the unenhanced Moissanite appears to have more "depth"? Is it just me? Am I just imagining things?

Quote this message in a reply
[-]
  •
07-11-2014, 10:08 AM,
RE: Unenhanced moissanite versus enhanced and Amora Gem
Hi eucalyptus, I agree with all your comments and observations. I also am curious about the unenhanced moissies from new rough. They do look amazing in pictures. They also look like they have a lot of depth in the pictures.

Yes, the flat plastic-like look in a milky white also bothered me a lot about the AG. I also agree about the lack of depth and looking very cloudy at certain angles. This is why I ended up returning it. But i figured maybe I just got a dud that time. I am going to give it a second try. Maybe I might get lucky this time. Still waiting for the delivery. Many ladies on the board seem to be very happy with their AG.

[-]
  •
07-11-2014, 10:20 AM,
(07-11-2014, 09:14 AM)eucalyptus Wrote: Hi everyone,

Ever since I caught whiff of the new unenhanced Moissanite being made from whiter rough, I have been obsessively stalking this thread and other forum boards for pictures and observations. I was hoping to share my own observations and get some input from other members as well.

I have never owned or seen an unenhanced moissanite in person, but I am lucky enough to have been able to compare the following gems side by side (all round cut): 1 carat very good cut diamond, 1 carat triple X cut diamond, 1 carat Forever Brilliant Moissanite, and a 1 carat Amora Gem Ultra H&A.

I am not super color sensitive (anything I and above is gravy), but I am very bothered by how flat and plasticky the enhanced moissies and AG look from certain angles and a normal viewing distance (compared to diamonds). Under spotlighting all the gems were gorgeous, but in outdoor and indoor diffuse lighting, the AG in particular seemed to really lack... depth. At certain angles the stones seemed to be cloudy and not clear (note that my AG is IF). I can't complain too much on crispness since these stones are doubly refractive, but that flat milky plasticky look really bugs me!

Then after spending a long time scouring WB and TFL, I started noticing something - the unenhanced Moissanites appear to have the depth that I'm looking for! And now the unenhanced are made from whiter rough and appear to have better quality cut! Too good to be true!

It will take another week for my order to get here- I'm really hoping that this new unenhanced RB Moissanite will be "the one!"

So my question is, has anyone else observed that the unenhanced Moissanite appears to have more "depth"? Is it just me? Am I just imagining things?

I don't know if there is more depth, but I did see Cricketbug's new beauties (unenhanced moissy earrings and ring from the new rough, purchased from Poppyseed) IRL yesterday and it really is gorgeous! Very sparkalicious and maybe a J colour? If you don't mind a little colour in your stones, then I think you'll be happy! I liked it so much I called shotgun on her earrings LOL!

ETA - IRL

[-]
  •
07-11-2014, 03:53 PM,
I think @stardust feels they have more depth...

Joseph Schubach Jewelers
please email jenniferc@schubach.com for quotes and inquiries
Visit this user's website
[-]
  •
07-11-2014, 04:31 PM,
(07-11-2014, 03:53 PM)jenncent Wrote: I think @stardust feels they have more depth...

Sorry, I should have been clearer. Having seen Cricketbug's new pretties IRL and taking that opportunity to compare her stones to older moissy (about two years old) and Amora enhanced moissy, I think that the new rough definitely seems to have a better cut and colour-wise her 8.5mm and 6.5mm stones looked to be about a J. I'm not sure that this translates into more depth IRL vs older moissanite. They are definitely gorgeous and sparkly, the new cut actually looks less splintery and compared nicely to Cricketbug's incredible transitional cut diamond. I really loved her new pieces and, if you don't mind a small amount of colour, this new cut is gorgeous! Based on what I saw yesterday, I'm not sure that the H&A cut would be worth the premium.

[-]
  •
07-11-2014, 04:43 PM,
(07-11-2014, 04:31 PM)mmascall Wrote:
(07-11-2014, 03:53 PM)jenncent Wrote: I think @stardust feels they have more depth...

Sorry, I should have been clearer. Having seen Cricketbug's new pretties IRL and taking that opportunity to compare her stones to older moissy (about two years old) and Amora enhanced moissy, I think that the new rough definitely seems to have a better cut and colour-wise her 8.5mm and 6.5mm stones looked to be about a J. I'm not sure that this translates into more depth IRL vs older moissanite. They are definitely gorgeous and sparkly, the new cut actually looks less splintery and compared nicely to Cricketbug's incredible transitional cut diamond. I really loved her new pieces and, if you don't mind a small amount of colour, this new cut is gorgeous! Based on what I saw yesterday, I'm not sure that the H&A cut would be worth the premium.

I agree with this!

The new unenhanced are amazing. I got new cuts last year in a three stone and they were spectacular. I'm shocked beyond the telling that the ones from just these past few weeks are even better.

They definitely have more depth than even the ones from last year, which were spectacular to begin with. I cannot say enough good things about the new cuts.

The half moon bezels I have that were just made by Schubach's appear to be the newest of the new too, and the depth in the 8mm is just as amazing as the depth on the 6.5mm which I wasn't expecting.

I am so fired up about the new stones! And I have to say that even though I'm having another pair of 2ctw earrings made IN yellow gold, I will not be sad if the half moons don't sell. They are beautiful. I found out I'm more a prong girl than a bezel girl for ears, but man. Yellow gold is doing all kinds of good things for this newer, whiter rough. Heart

[-]
  •
07-14-2014, 09:39 AM,
@eucalyptus - I am really anxious for you to get your moissy stone and for your thoughts.

[-]
  •
07-14-2014, 01:00 PM,
(07-14-2014, 09:39 AM)Brit Wrote: @eucalyptus - I am really anxious for you to get your moissy stone and for your thoughts.

Thanks Brit! I will post pics when it's here.

[-]
  •
07-14-2014, 01:01 PM,
Does anyone know if it's still true that classic is more sparkly than FB, now that they are both unenhanced?

I'm just curious whether there is still an optical difference between classic and FB, aside from the color difference.

I'm hoping to order a stone from Poppy and I'm not sure which way to go! I just want the best cut, most sparkly one, though I'm sure whichever one Poppy picks they will all be beautiful.

[-]
  •
07-20-2014, 12:50 PM,
Left to right: AG Ultra E color, FB RB, unenhanced RB, unenhanced OEC
Sparkly eye candy found at thefacetlounge.com!

The unenhanced moissies are for future projects.

The AG was the one I originally wanted for my ering. It has an excellent cut and color, and the sparkle under spotlight is amazing. However, it had a plasticky look under certain conditions that really bothered me.

I ordered a FB RB from a reputable member with hopes that it would be "the one" for my ering. I asked for it to be hand picked out of the newer rough and newer cut (close to H&A). But I don't think I got the newer cut... because the cut is more of the classic "splintery" style. The table is also too big, which gave the gem a fisheye look and severely limited its fire.

You can see it has the biggest table of the bunch here (second from the left):

Fisheye effect here (sorry couldn't get phone in focus!):

Lack of fire:

I plan to return the FB, but at this point I don't know if I want to try another FB. I already asked for it to be hand picked from the newer rough and cut, and emphasized that my priority is the best cut. I don't think I received that. My FI was also hoping the FB would be the one. At this point he's fed up with all AGs and moissanites.