Upgrading my e-ring! Comments/feedback welcome!
[-]
  •
08-17-2014, 11:13 PM,
Upgrading my e-ring! Comments/feedback welcome!
My DH and I got engaged about 4 years ago (2 year engagement and we've been married 2 years now). We got a setting we both loved, but couldn't afford the center diamond size to fill the halo. Sparkly eye candy found at thefacetlounge.com!

I want to upgrade the center stone to be 1 carat and fit the halo, but I don't want a diamond. The current stone is a H&A natural diamond, H color, VS2 clarity, and I think the halo stones are about G color (not entirely sure about that though). My problem is I am super indecisive about what stone I want--the new unenhanced moissy is amazing looking (especially in the @poppyseed thread I saw recently). But I am also considering whether the AG would be a better choice given that I don't want it to look weird against the color of the halo. My other consideration is that I've recently fallen in love with OECs, and recently got an unenhanced OEC for another project that was amazing. Should I stick with RB for this setting?

The other thing I want to do is to change the prongs to be claw prongs, but I can't decide between double vs. single. What do you guys think about these inspiration pics in terms of whether double vs. single looks better with a halo?
[img]Sparkly eye candy found at thefacetlounge.com![/img]
Sparkly eye candy found at thefacetlounge.com!

So basically I'm looking for any input, suggestions, advice you guys have, since all I know about sims comes from TFL and BTD :big hug:

Quote this message in a reply
[-]
  •
08-17-2014, 11:33 PM,
RE: Upgrading my e-ring! Comments/feedback welcome!
I love the Steven Kirsch ring with the single prongs.

[-]
  •
08-18-2014, 02:48 AM,
For a one carat, I think single prongs are perfect - enjoy your reset!

On other sites, I am aka JadoreDiamonds or ArtdecoLover71 but trying to keep it to one name now :-)

*loving all things diamond, old and new, with art deco flare!
[-]
  •
08-18-2014, 05:51 AM,
I agree that single prongs would look best at 1ct. Claw prongs like the 2nd ring would look lovely. Your ering is beautiful!

[-]
  •
08-18-2014, 08:26 AM,
@lovedogs I think and OEC would look amazing in you setting! But with the durable sim options, other than CZ, you are going to have trouble matching your G color melee. From what I am reading about the AG OEC it sounds like BTD still has some R&D to do to get it just right. The 6.5mm/1ct. FB OEC I have still has a lot of color, it was graded as a K. Now, I should be receiving my unenhanced moissy OEC three stone tomorrow from poppyseed and from the pictures she sent of the stones before they were set, they look a lot whiter than the FB OEC I have now. My AG is a G-VS1. If you want I will take some pictures of the three stone, the loose FB OEC and the AG together so you can see the color difference.

As for prongs, I would assume that going with single claw prongs would be the less invasive modification, so that is the way I would recommend going. Less chance of harming you lovely setting.

[-]
  •
08-18-2014, 10:26 AM,
(08-18-2014, 08:26 AM)Brit Wrote: @lovedogs I think and OEC would look amazing in you setting! But with the durable sim options, other than CZ, you are going to have trouble matching your G color melee. From what I am reading about the AG OEC it sounds like BTD still has some R&D to do to get it just right. The 6.5mm/1ct. FB OEC I have still has a lot of color, it was graded as a K. Now, I should be receiving my unenhanced moissy OEC three stone tomorrow from poppyseed and from the pictures she sent of the stones before they were set, they look a lot whiter than the FB OEC I have now. My AG is a G-VS1. If you want I will take some pictures of the three stone, the loose FB OEC and the AG together so you can see the color difference.

As for prongs, I would assume that going with single claw prongs would be the less invasive modification, so that is the way I would recommend going. Less chance of harming you lovely setting.

Thanks for the feedback and advice! I would love to see pics of the three together, I think that would help a ton. I'm just so surprised by how white the new moissy seems to be, and I love the depth and cut. I just got an un-enhanced OEC moissy that is now being set, and it seemed super white (but then again I wasn't comparing it to my e-ring halo, because it was for a different project). I also don't really want to go with an AG OEC because of all the issues I've heard about. Too bad, because I was looking forward to that cut being incredible.

[-]
  •
08-18-2014, 01:34 PM,
There's a few ladies on the board that have diamond halos with moissy centers and they look great. One that comes to mind is .. @AmoraGirl it was a honker cushion fb moissy with diamond sides and looked awesome!

[-]
  •
08-18-2014, 01:48 PM,
(08-18-2014, 01:34 PM)SparkleDancer Wrote: There's a few ladies on the board that have diamond halos with moissy centers and they look great. One that comes to mind is .. @AmoraGirl it was a honker cushion fb moissy with diamond sides and looked awesome!

OMG thank you for pointing me to her pics/post. That ring is amazing and makes me think that a moissy center would look great with my halo. My ring won't be quite that blingtastic Wink but it really helps to see a real example.

[-]
  •
08-18-2014, 03:30 PM,
I would do single claws on a stone that size. And I would get a center that will match in colour.

I love your set as it is actually, I think it looks pretty perfect.

Joseph Schubach Jewelers
please email jenniferc@schubach.com for quotes and inquiries
Visit this user's website
[-]
  •
08-18-2014, 03:45 PM,
Thanks @jenncent for the compliment about my set! I also love it as it is, but I've been waiting for a long time to get a stone that "fits" in the halo. It's just one of those things that has bothered me (the space around the stone) since I've had it, and now I can't "un-see" it. I know I'm probably being obsessive and a little (a lot) crazy to want to change it, but I just thing halos look so gorgeous when they are filled, and also I am super in love with claw prongs these days Smile