Vatche 113 vs. BTD Timeless Regal (Old Version)
[-]
  •
12-24-2014, 09:43 AM,
Vatche 113 vs. BTD Timeless Regal (Old Version)
Ok here is a comparison between the Vatche 113 and the (old) BTD Timeless Regal:

Here are pictures of the Regal with a 7.3mm AG and with the Vatche when I first got it before the jeweler mangled the setting. You can really see the prong differences in these pictures. The Vatche's prongs narrow slightly towards the top and have a larger groove or triangle cut out at the bottom. The connection between the prongs in also deeper on the Vatche with a bit more of a U shape between the prongs instead of a V. I love how the shank is all one piece under the head on the Vatche. It makes it look sturdier than the Regal.

When I started my search I was looking for the closest replica of the Tiffany Setting I could get, but from my experience with looking at all the different versions of the "Tiffany Setting" repros against REAL Tiffany Settings, you would fool a Tiffany salesperson with both rings from a distance. There is actually quite a bit of variation in the real Tiffany Setting heads through the years. The seamed shank gives the Regal away faster upon close inspection but still they are very close. To me the new seamless version of the Regal is really coming close to the same look as the Vatche.

Sparkly eye candy found at thefacetlounge.com!

Now here are a few with the Vatche (with the new head) and the 6.9mm AG next to the Regal with the 7.3mm AG.

Now here is why I chose to stay with the Regal over the Vatche for now:

When the reset the Vatche, Vatche said they used the "proper size head for the stone." In hindsight I am guessing that the ring head was originally the next size up, this allowed them to set the stone lower and get that super wide V that I like to see in the head with a set stone. I like the stone to be as low as it can be and the prongs to follow the outside of the stone nice and straight, then just tip in and hold the stone. I don't like the prong to have any curve in them. You can see how wide the prong are and how they run along the side of the stone in the Regal. The lines next to the Vatche are the same lines (same angle) from the Regal so you an really see how different the angle is.

Also where the arrow is pointed to you can see the slight curve in the whole prong so it makes kind of smooth slight arc to the end of the prong tip and almost looks bowed away from the pavilion of the stone since the angles are different.

When you look at the pictures of the Vatche, as I got it, you can see where I assumed that it would end up looking more like the Regal than how it actually did with the replacement head. With the new stone in the Regal they able to keep this deep set and strait wide "V" in the prongs that I really prefer. Which is why I decided to just keep the Regal. At some point I may try and get a custom made that give me the best of both worlds, but for now this is where I am going to stay.

Quote this message in a reply
[-]
  •
12-24-2014, 10:53 AM,
RE: Vatche 113 vs. BTD Timeless Regal (Old Version)
Thanks for sharing! Should I ever want a Tiffany repro, I know which one I like! This shows the differences so well. They are subtle, but if you like low set the regal is the clear winner.

Joseph Schubach Jewelers
please email jenniferc@schubach.com for quotes and inquiries
Visit this user's website
[-]
  •
12-24-2014, 11:04 AM,
RE: Vatche 113 vs. BTD Timeless Regal (Old Version)
Thank you SO MUCH for doing this thread. I think it really shows a. how crazy we sparklie lovers are in terms of having things EXACTLY how we want them (oh man, are we!) and further, how two rings that look SO similar can have slight differences that wouldn't be noticeable on the hand, but can absolutely tip the scales.

This was an awesome comparison. I am pleased beyond measure that you are happy with your ring, finally! I hope I can say the same very, very soon!

Also, perhaps part of the reason the Vatche was mangled ( Cry ) was because it was meant to hold a larger stone? I know that you have a certain amount of variation, but it's not much, and someone not terribly skilled may muck it up way more than someone masterful. Neither here nor there at this point because the Vatche is absolutely perfect and good as new, but since you rightly pointed out the difference in angles I wonder....