Wax Model is in! help me with corrections?
[-]
  •
11-05-2013, 03:14 AM,
Wax Model is in! help me with corrections?
this is my first time making corrections on a piece of jewelry, so I would really appreciate some help! for those who don't know, I'm setting my BP OEC moissy in a ring.

for starters, it's based off the Cartier Ballerine, which you can see pictures and videos of here:
clickity click

I gave them this photo:
Sparkly eye candy found at thefacetlounge.com!

and today I got back this wax ring to play with:
the stone is just a placeholder, btw... I was pretty devastated before I knew that, and thought they'd chipped my beautiful moissy!!

anyway, these are a list of corrections I've got so far. do you guys see anything I've missed, or gotten wrong, or should add to help clarify and make it better?

I'm pretty excited though. I'm really liking the proportions otherwise. n__n

Quote this message in a reply
[-]
  •
11-05-2013, 10:11 AM,
RE: Wax Model is in! help me with corrections?

this is a change I'm only *considering*. I do prefer a thinner band in photos, I think, but on hand I do luurve the proportions as-is. a bit torn!!!

the current, thicker proportions are more in line with Cartier's style (the original Ballerine also has the width of the widest part slightly overshoot the width of the stone). but since I have kinda long thin fingers I generally gravitate towards thinner bands (as in 3mm or less). I DUNNOOO help me out!

[-]
  •
11-05-2013, 12:24 PM,
(11-05-2013, 10:11 AM)mewt Wrote: Sparkly eye candy found at thefacetlounge.com!

this is a change I'm only *considering*. I do prefer a thinner band in photos, I think, but on hand I do luurve the proportions as-is. a bit torn!!!

the current, thicker proportions are more in line with Cartier's style (the original Ballerine also has the width of the widest part slightly overshoot the width of the stone). but since I have kinda long thin fingers I generally gravitate towards thinner bands (as in 3mm or less). I DUNNOOO help me out!

Looks like just minor changes on the dimensions with your ring. I bet it won't take Schubach's long to tweek the CADs for you. With mine, I never had a wax made. I had considered it, but after I saw the 3rd iteration of CADs it looked perfect and I was too antsy to wait for a wax, so I approved the CADs and I couldn't be happier. In your case, it just goes to show how informative a wax can be for custom designed rings.

[-]
  •
11-05-2013, 01:28 PM,
I really like the changes you have made!! I would claw the prongs though, not have ball prongs. And I like the thinned out proportions. Smile

Joseph Schubach Jewelers
please email jenniferc@schubach.com for quotes and inquiries
Visit this user's website
[-]
  •
11-05-2013, 07:36 PM,
don't claw prongs get stuck on things often? I really like the prongs in the original ballerine, they're not really round OR clawed... more like... a flat screwdriver? huhm

it's not being done at Schubah's, not that I doubt they would do an amazing job--just my FIL does jewelry so I thought I'd take advantage of that. hehe.
thanks for your opinions! and yeah, it IS such a minor change, I think I'll just run with it. it's not like the "thinner" version is even that thin, anyhow! super, duper excited. emailed the sketches off just now sooo it's a waiting dance now.

can I ask how long it took after you approved the CAD until you received the ring?

[-]
  •
11-05-2013, 08:22 PM,
Flat screw drivers are often called ribbon prongs. If you like that, then go for it!

Every jeweler has different turn around times. We run 6 weeks for our lead time. Sometimes a bit more, sometimes a bit less. Nov-Feb are generally busy though.

Joseph Schubach Jewelers
[-]
  •
11-05-2013, 09:10 PM,
(11-05-2013, 08:22 PM)jenncent Wrote: Flat screw drivers are often called ribbon prongs. If you like that, then go for it!

Every jeweler has different turn around times. We run 6 weeks for our lead time. Sometimes a bit more, sometimes a bit less. Nov-Feb are generally busy though.

ribbon prong! makes sense. I'm not too bothered though, whatever prong they end up making I'll be fine as long as it doesn't cover up too much of the delicious moissy. Wink

can you clarify 'lead time'? is that from the point the customer OKs the CADs, or from the initial conversation? I'm just wondering how long it'd generally take for a wax mold to be made into the actual ring.

[-]
  •
11-05-2013, 09:33 PM,
from the point that the cads are approved. The pre cads can add another few weeks. Wink

Joseph Schubach Jewelers
[-]
  •
11-06-2013, 06:31 AM,
eeep 6 weeks!! *fidgets*
if only I could... conveniently forget it exists for the next little while, and then just be pleasantly surprised when it does show up. *__*

[-]
  •
11-06-2013, 10:51 AM,
LOL, my first 2 custom projects it felt like forever, but now I am pretty chill about it. You never know though, he could have it done for you in 2 or 3 weeks!

Joseph Schubach Jewelers