What cut is the most timeless?
[-]
  •
02-16-2014, 01:01 PM,
What cut is the most timeless?
Which diamond cuts do you think are relatively timeless?

The 2 I think of are round cuts and emerald. I thought oval too but not so sure anymore. I suppose cushions too since omcs predate OECs

What cut do you think transcends the trends?

Quote this message in a reply
[-] The following 1 user Likes stardust's post:
  • OoohShiny
02-16-2014, 01:27 PM,
RE: What cut is the most timeless?
I'm not really sure there is one!

I think you see less of things like marquise, heart, oval and pear so they are less common.

And as they continue recutting OEC's to RB's those will become even less common, but they're still certainly timeless IMHO.

The least timeless and also least common I would venture to guess is the horse head. For good reason, if you ask me!

[-]
  •
02-16-2014, 01:51 PM,
I think emeralds are trendy in a way. Like they are very classy and would be hard to offend, but I would not call it timeless, personally. I think RBs are the most timeless. They are also one of my least fav, but there is nothing specific that I can fault about it...it is just so...round. Confused But cushion vs oval vs pear etc, they are all fancy cuts, all less common, and I think all none offensive. Yet I know some do not like them for whatever reason.

Joseph Schubach Jewelers
please email jenniferc@schubach.com for quotes and inquiries
Visit this user's website
[-]
  •
02-16-2014, 01:51 PM,
(02-16-2014, 01:27 PM)stardust Wrote: The least timeless and also least common I would venture to guess is the horse head. For good reason, if you ask me!

LOL

Joseph Schubach Jewelers
[-]
  •
02-16-2014, 02:14 PM,
I would say rounds are the most timeless.

[-]
  •
02-16-2014, 02:22 PM,
Yep rounds.

[-] The following 1 user Likes magpie's post:
  • stardust
02-16-2014, 03:01 PM,
Round brilliants are the standard, but I don't really view any diamond shape as a ticking time bomb of trendiness... it's not like anyone's faceting diamonds after twitter hashtags. Wink Virtually any shape diamond can have a timeless look as long as it is put into a "timeless" setting.

For example, I'll often see emerald cut diamonds in "art deco" rings and marquise diamonds in distinctly "1980s" looking settings, but that's a factor of the overall design, not the center stone. It's fun looking at re-set before and after photos of diamond rings and seeing total transformations of style built around the same center stone.

[-]
  •
02-16-2014, 03:04 PM,
Agree!

Joseph Schubach Jewelers
[-]
  •
02-16-2014, 03:05 PM,
Horse head diamond.... I will never forget seeing a perfectly good yellow diamond on DBL and screaming at the screen 'WHATTA WASTE!' I think my husband thought something seriously bad had happened!

I think emeralds and rounds are timeless.

I get distracted by shiny things
[-]
  •
02-16-2014, 05:46 PM,
(02-16-2014, 01:51 PM)jenncent Wrote: I think emeralds are trendy in a way. Like they are very classy and would be hard to offend, but I would not call it timeless, personally. I think RBs are the most timeless. They are also one of my least fav, but there is nothing specific that I can fault about it...it is just so...round. Confused But cushion vs oval vs pear etc, they are all fancy cuts, all less common, and I think all none offensive. Yet I know some do not like them for whatever reason.

I think I view them as timeless because they can't be easily dated barring the setting of course. They were big back in the days of grace kelly Elizabeth Taylor and Marilyn Monroe. Smile but now that I think of it I maybe they dropped off for a while? Theyre definitely huge in Hollywood these days