What distinguishes good/bad cut in OEC?
[-]
  •
03-12-2014, 11:43 AM,
What distinguishes good/bad cut in OEC?
What are the characteristics of a well cut moissy OEC? I've read a lot about bad OECs and since they're not going to be made anymore, I want to stock up for future projects.

Quote this message in a reply
[-]
  •
03-12-2014, 11:56 AM,
RE: What distinguishes good/bad cut in OEC?
It is very personal. I have seen a lot of pretty OECs and since they are hand cut, they all look quite different. So I would not worry about what others think is good or bad, I would just make sure you like what you see. When I bought my diamond some members here thought it was too dark in the center, so clearly not the stone or them. But there was something about it that I loved...

I would just make sure it was not too funky colour wise.

Joseph Schubach Jewelers
please email jenniferc@schubach.com for quotes and inquiries
Visit this user's website
[-]
  •
03-12-2014, 12:12 PM,
I agree with @jenncent in that it's a personal, you know it when you see it type of deal. OEC beauty is in the total package of aesthetics and charm, not so much by-the-numbers maximum calibrated performance as in a modern RB.

But here's kind of an interesting video displaying OECs from Good Old Gold: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fkMQ4Gp778w Not moissanite, but it shows the obvious differences between the good and the really unfortunate.

I would check for a pleasing body color first, and then satisfying internal brilliance. I also prefer smaller culets myself, but that's totally personal preference... I know a lot of people see a big culet as part of the attraction!

[-]
  •
03-12-2014, 12:34 PM,
I have had several. I agree personal esthetics, but avoid any that go dark in the middle. I had one that was dark in the center in dim lighting. A good one should even sparkle in candlelight. A nickname for OEC's is candlelight diamond.

[-]
  •
03-17-2014, 11:26 PM,
Broadly speaking, I avoid stones that show signs of fisheye, excessive leakage, nailhead or overly dark areas. I also look for a pleasing facet pattern. Beyond that, it's a matter of what pleases your eye - there's no wrong answer. Some people like the more rustic OMC's and earlier OEC's, while other prefer the tighter and more symmetrical late OEC/Transitional look. The great thing about old cuts is how individual they are - the stone really does choose you, and odds are if you love it, someone else won't because they're one of a kind.

Erica D.
Owner/Designer
Love Affair Diamonds
[-]
  •
03-18-2014, 07:56 AM,
@EricaD can I see an example of fisheye and nailhead if you have one? I would like to be able to know these things when I see them. Thanks!

[-]
  •
03-18-2014, 12:01 PM,
I would also love to see photos Erica with the fish-eye being pointed out for us novices!!

[-]
  •
03-18-2014, 09:02 PM,
Sparkly eye candy found at thefacetlounge.com!
Sparkly eye candy found at thefacetlounge.com!

[-]
  •
03-18-2014, 10:17 PM,
You are awesome poppy!!!

Thank you!!!!

[-]
  •
03-18-2014, 11:09 PM,
(03-18-2014, 09:02 PM)poppyseed Wrote: Sparkly eye candy found at thefacetlounge.com!

Thank you Poppyseed for posting this great visual! I have a question, especially concerning the nailhead or dark center since OEC's are more prone to this. Does a stone that has been cut too deep look dark in the center from most angles, or only when viewed head on straight through the table?