What do you all think of wearable technology? What about "smart" jewelry?
[-]
  •
09-30-2014, 01:26 PM,
What do you all think of wearable technology? What about "smart" jewelry?
I feel like I've been hearing a lot about wearable technology with a few people I know getting things like fitbit, so it was kind of interesting when Google Ads showed me this today (they keep track of my jewelry obsession I guess Dodgy):

https://cuff.io/

Basically it's a wearable tech that syncs with your phone and you can wear on a number of pieces of jewelry. I think integrating wearable tech into fashion and things that people will actually wear is a smart concept. Truth be told, I did like the design of the hinged cuff, but it seems like a simple, elegant, common design for a cuff.

I'm not necessarily a fan of all this wearable technology, personally. I'm not the biggest fan of things that track me and I honestly don't like the feeling of being "plugged in" all the time, which is why the idea of a piece of jewelry on me buzzing whenever I get a text or update (even if it's only from my close circle) seems downright annoying.

I was wondering what you ladies thought about something like this.

The only thing I saw in the video that seems sort of unique is the safety alert aspect, but that seems kind of cheesy to me. I usually feel safe where I am and I don't think I need a wearable technology for something like that.

ETA: I wanted to make it clear that I'm not associated with this technology in any way. It was advertised to me through Google Ads and I figured it'd be an interesting point of discussion with some fellow jewelry lovers.

Quote this message in a reply
[-]
  •
09-30-2014, 02:28 PM,
RE: What do you all think of wearable technology? What about "smart" jewelry?
NOT A FAN.

But then, I'm scared of technology.

[-] The following 1 user Likes OoohShiny's post:
  • mmascall
09-30-2014, 02:43 PM,
I LOVE IT!!!

But then I am the girl wearing her gear fit 100% of the time. I love the technology, and love the fact that this comes in a prettier package to what I wear now. Below is what I wear. I love that it alerts me to calls, monitors my steps and heart rate when I want etc.

Sparkly eye candy found at thefacetlounge.com!

I get distracted by shiny things
[-]
  •
09-30-2014, 03:57 PM,
not really a fan. I don't like the look of it generally and I like my pretties somewhat precious.

Joseph Schubach Jewelers
please email jenniferc@schubach.com for quotes and inquiries
Visit this user's website
[-]
  •
09-30-2014, 04:48 PM,
I'm a gadget geek, so I love anything techy! I like the look of the new Apple watch more. It comes in rose gold too!

Sparkly eye candy found at thefacetlounge.com!

https://www.apple.com/watch/gallery/

Of course I'm a bit biased about Apple...

I like smart wearable technology and I wish it were more seamless.

[-]
  •
09-30-2014, 04:51 PM,
I have really mixed feelings about it! On the one hand, I think it is mostly ugly. My DH bought me a jawbone UP 2 weeks ago and initially I scoffed at it and told him to return it. I agreed to wear it for 2 weeks and have found it very informative! It is interesting knowing exactly how much sleep (heavy and light) I am actually getting each night and to see it all graphed out - it's also been cool knowing exactly how active I am each day and what my resting and active calorie burn is, etc.

In general though, I hate being plugged in. I never answer my cell or texts, lol, and am kind of notorious for being unreachable by my friends. I hate social media, etc. So something on my body alerting me beyond the phone that I can let die, lol, would not make me happy.

[-]
  •
09-30-2014, 06:15 PM,
The Cuff is a really cool idea. I like how you can change what piece it's in.

My bf is tech mad, and has a Pebble. I'm not sure i like how he is always connected. But then even if he doesn't wear the Pebble, he's constantly on his phone anyway so it probably doesn't make much difference! He's one of those who checks his emails last thing before sleep and first thing on waking up.

He saw the round Motorola watch recently and said it actually looks really nice. Probably not idea for women though, because it's quite large.

[-]
  •
09-30-2014, 06:33 PM,
I haven't been big on it, because even though I love tech stuff like that and tracking health, they're just big and bulky and not attractive to me. But seeing the apple iwatch, and in rose gold too?! Cammannnn.. definitely going to get one of those!

[-]
  •
09-30-2014, 06:44 PM,
Nah, not that interested. I'm connected enough. Don't need it around my wrist or such...Disagree

[-]
  •
09-30-2014, 07:05 PM,
I wear a jawbone up, I love the sleep tracking. It's not cute but it's also a good excuse to leave my desk and take a walk "I need my steps!"