What is it about antiques?
[-]
  •
03-24-2014, 01:12 PM,
What is it about antiques?
I'm having a discussion with my husband about why I love antique jewelry so much, especially since the diamonds aren't cuts as well for sparkle as the new rounds (generally speaking at least) and I know i love them because they're just so charming, dreamy, they make me wonder about the woman who used to wear them or why she got it as a gift.

But it made me curious about all of your reasons for loving antique goodies! Smile

Quote this message in a reply
[-] The following 1 user Likes JooJooBee4's post:
  • stardust
03-24-2014, 01:20 PM,
RE: What is it about antiques?
I think its the history and past behind the piece! When there are things that date back to the early 1900s or 1800s it's crazy to think the piece has survived and still looks amazing!! It's always fun when you can find an actual story about where the piece came from.. who had it.. where it was made.. etc!!! PLUS its unlike any others and really a unique piece Smile

[-]
  •
03-24-2014, 05:51 PM,
(03-24-2014, 01:20 PM)JooJooBee4 Wrote: I think its the history and past behind the piece! When there are things that date back to the early 1900s or 1800s it's crazy to think the piece has survived and still looks amazing!! It's always fun when you can find an actual story about where the piece came from.. who had it.. where it was made.. etc!!! PLUS its unlike any others and really a unique piece Smile

Yup!

[-]
  •
03-24-2014, 06:08 PM,
Although I love the history of the person receiving it ... for me, it's the history of the person *making* it. They built to such a high standard back in the day that it's practically unmatchable now, outside of a few master artisans (Mike Robinson, Zadora, JAR, etc.) And since I know 47th fairly well, I can never resist imagining the life and circumstances and (hopefully upwards!) trajectory of that talented person who achieved a tiny slice of immortality by building this minute treasure that has survived one or two hundred years, with who knows how many more to come ....

[-]
  •
03-24-2014, 06:21 PM,
Wow, very nicely put @Circe!

[-]
  •
03-24-2014, 06:30 PM,
(03-24-2014, 06:08 PM)Circe Wrote: Although I love the history of the person receiving it ... for me, it's the history of the person *making* it. They built to such a high standard back in the day that it's practically unmatchable now, outside of a few master artisans (Mike Robinson, Zadora, JAR, etc.) And since I know 47th fairly well, I can never resist imagining the life and circumstances and (hopefully upwards!) trajectory of that talented person who achieved a tiny slice of immortality by building this minute treasure that has survived one or two hundred years, with who knows how many more to come ....

I feel exactly this about my vintage diamond watch. It is such a tiny work of art and I cannot imagine anyone making it today and if they did it would be an astronomical amount of $ and probably would not look near as stunning.

[-] The following 3 users Like jenncent's post:
  • MrsK, mrsmay07, stardust
03-24-2014, 06:56 PM,
For me, it is the feeling that the piece has taken on the experiences of the original wearer(s). When I wear them, I feel a connection to a different world and a different era.

Joseph Schubach Jewelers
please email jenniferc@schubach.com for quotes and inquiries
Visit this user's website
[-]
  •
03-31-2014, 07:46 PM,
I love imagining the women who owned the pieces and the lives they lived. I also feel that if a piece has survived 50+ years then it has a better chance of surviving on my hand.

[-]
  •
04-04-2014, 03:16 PM,
I just posted this on another thread here, but I think that diamonds are like people. I identify with old cuts because they're one of a kind (by a large margin - no two look alike), quirky, whimsical, organic, ethereal, glowy, imperfect - just like me, or like what I aspire to be. Modern cuts, including newly cut old style repros, are mechanical, precise, steely, edgy. One is not superior to the other, it just depends on what suits you. Old cuts suit me the best. Smile

Erica D.
Owner/Designer
Love Affair Diamonds
[-]
  •
04-04-2014, 04:42 PM,
agree. I find a lot of beauty in the imperfections, and I find them soothing.

Joseph Schubach Jewelers
please email jenniferc@schubach.com for quotes and inquiries
Visit this user's website