Poll: How small can you reasonably go? Size 4 finger.
.9+
[Show Results]

What's the smallest center stone we could go with?
[-]
  •
02-12-2014, 05:00 PM,
Question  What's the smallest center stone we could go with?
So we both talked more and decided that we liked the look of D-G color diamonds the best, which rules out a moissy cushion unless I get an unusually white one!

I'm liking the look and price of diamonds similar to this one from James Allen- http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds...sku-233843

Do you think a .7 cushion is going to face up way too small? Should we spend the extra cash to upgrade to something around the .9, 1.0 range? He'd like to spend about $2000 and it seems like there tends to be a huge jump between .7 and .8.

I'm a size 4ish finger, with this setting from from Gabriel & Co. Sparkly eye candy found at thefacetlounge.com!

This is how my 6X8mm oval aquamarine looks on my finger and I'm worried that my "forever" ring won't look as substantial.
Sparkly eye candy found at thefacetlounge.com!

Quote this message in a reply
[-]
  •
02-12-2014, 05:21 PM,
RE: What's the smallest center stone we could go with?
I prefer bigger, but I think if you're doing a halo, you can get away with .7 on a size 4 finger.

[-]
  •
02-12-2014, 05:29 PM,
I would say anything about 0.5 would be awesome.. so I think you will be fine!

I get distracted by shiny things
[-] The following 2 users Like mrsmay07's post:
  • idahosubaru, moissypaws
02-12-2014, 06:04 PM,
I like smaller stones (I know, super weird!), I really like how a 0.25 carat solitaire looks on my size 4.5 finger, so I think that you could go smaller and with the halo it will still look amazing and have a real presence on your hand. The setting you chose is such a piece of art, you do not have to max out on size for it to be a beautiful ring Smile

[-]
  •
02-12-2014, 06:10 PM,
You have such lovely hands! I think a .7 w/ a halo would look really pretty on you. Smile

[-]
  •
02-12-2014, 06:10 PM,
My original ering is size 4.5 with .6 center stone. While it's smaller than I prefer now, I wore it for years and got many compliments on it (it is crazy white and sparkly). And I cherish it - I could never sell it or reset it because it really represents a big investment for us at that time - both financially and in each other!

Whatever you choose will be lovely!

[-]
  •
02-12-2014, 06:47 PM,
For colored stones, I usually prefer larger sizes than I do with super sparkly, fiery clear stones like diamond and moissanite, so I wouldn't necessarily base my diamond size preferences on an aquamarine. Even if you're ordering your ring online, I would recommend going into jewelry stores to try on some rings to get a better feel for what carat weight you like to see on your hand.

The lovely Gabriel & Co. setting you selected is very substantial (and beautiful) by itself. It would have a lot of presence on your hand even in a .5 carat size. A .7 carat will look positively glam on a size 4 finger!

[-]
  •
02-12-2014, 07:01 PM,
I like a .5 to .7 for the center stone. Your hands are dainty and I think it would be a big presence with the halo! Pretty!

[-]
  •
02-12-2014, 07:07 PM,
I think the price really spikes around .90ct so I would get .80ct for the most bang for your buck. That one you posted is really pretty. I think the 4.5mm wide though is kinda thin. I would likely try to keep it more square so you have more 5mm each side.

Joseph Schubach Jewelers
please email jenniferc@schubach.com for quotes and inquiries
Visit this user's website
[-]
  •
02-12-2014, 08:15 PM,
(02-12-2014, 07:07 PM)jenncent Wrote: I think the price really spikes around .90ct so I would get .80ct for the most bang for your buck. That one you posted is really pretty. I think the 4.5mm wide though is kinda thin. I would likely try to keep it more square so you have more 5mm each side.

How do you feel about this one? I'm having a rough time finding something symmetrical. http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds...sku-281054