What size/%finger coverage OEC is best?
[-]
  •
09-26-2014, 06:53 PM,
What size/%finger coverage OEC is best?
Hey,

I'm new here.

My boyfriend and I are planning on getting engaged in the the next year to two years and I would like my center stone to be an OEC moissanite. I know people have had favorable things to say about the OEC Amora Gem but I'm one of the few who likes butteriness in her OEC. I've been scoping out jewelry forums as well as jewelry in person and I do prefer some color.

We're not sure on a setting yet but we would like to get the moissanite decided on and ordered now since C&C has discontinued the OEC cut and there's no guarantee that another company will start it up again, especially if C&C discontinued it due to lack of demand. The next part is going to be all about my opinions on this matter because my boyfriend has deferred to me in all things ring-related due to my particular taste.

Now the only thing is I'm not sure which size OEC to get. I have size 8.5 fingers right now but am planning on losing a significant amount of weight in the next couple of years so my ring size should decrease to a 6-7 I believe. That's my estimate based on being at my goal weight previously. I've never had thin fingers.

I posted this on a different forum and got mostly pretty negative replies about moissanite, how large I was thinking of going, and even the look of my fingers. Hide

I've ordered a 9 mm OEC to see how it looks. Do you sparkle queens (Wink) think that a size 9 mm OEC would be too large on a size 6-7 finger?

I am 99.9% certain it would look good on my size 8.5 finger currently and of course I'll see it when it gets here, but should I go even smaller to an 8.5mm or an 8mm OEC moissanite because I want to lose some weight?

Being an analytical person to some extent, I have kept track of the approximate % of finger coverage I like for round stones based on a chart I pulled of diameters of round stones compared to finger size. According to this I tend to like 50-60% finger coverage, at least when I'm looking at rings over the internet.

But when I started trying rings on I decided that 55+% finger coverage looked way too large for me. I think ~50% looks great and ~53% looks slightly large sometimes and great at other times. Is that too much finger coverage? I was thinking of erring on the size of larger because of shrinkage, which I've heard about.

My biggest thing right now is that after posting on the other forum and getting such negative responses I'm questioning what I want and what I should get. People suggested I go no larger than a 7.5 mm even with my currently larger fingers, for example.

I'm just at a loss for what to do in this regard. I know I shouldn't let others' opinions affect me but I'm sorta bummed out about it. I'm sorry my post is probably confusing but I had to get it out there.

I know I said I haven't decided on a ring but two that I like are the following. I know Slick is a user here and the HW inspired one is her ring.

Sparkly eye candy found at thefacetlounge.com!

Quote this message in a reply
[-]
  •
09-26-2014, 07:31 PM,
RE: What size/%finger coverage OEC is best?
Welcome!!!! Congratulations on your upcoming engagement! I got a 1.25 moissy.... I experienced "shrinkage" and it looks tiny to me now. Dh offered at the time to get a 2 ct.... wish i had done it.Wink Oec is so beautiful and buttery!, Only you know what you like best , what is your gut instinct? I think a 9mm looks good on a size 5 finger or size 10. Imho, finger coverage is personal preference...but because you asked.... I vote to get the bigger stone and love it no matter the ring finger sizeSmile hope that was helpful. Im a bling-enabler Banana the inspiration rings are lovely. Cant wait to see what you pick!

[-]
  •
09-26-2014, 07:48 PM,
Welcome! I think 9mm is awesome and I'm a size 6. 8 or 8.5mm would be a fab size, too, though! Sounds like you've got the coverage percentages down pat - impressive! There are some people that are not comfortable beyond 7.5 but that is a highly personal and individual decision. Don't listen to others, do what makes you happy and comfortable. People will have something to say regardless: too big, too small, etc. just make yourself happy!

[-]
  •
09-26-2014, 07:53 PM,
Hi! I currently have a size 8.5 finger, and have found that I am not comfortable going above 7.5mm. However, similar to what @EarthDiva stated, it is a personal preference! Maybe order some stones (even CZ) in different sizes to see what suits you!

[-]
  •
09-26-2014, 07:56 PM,
Welcome! You have chosen two lovely rings as inspirations! Your ring has to be what you want and not what others think you should have. There are all different views here of what is best for each of us. I had an 8mm OEC and wear a 7-7.25 and would not go bigger than that for myself. My ACC is 7.63x7.43 and is a perfect size with its halo.

[-]
  •
09-26-2014, 08:06 PM,
Cow Welcome. I'm happy to have helped you decide to choose an oec moissy! Love them so so much!
Size is definitely a personal preference. I had an 8.5mm in the HW and honestly sometimes I had reverse shrinkage. I also like round numbers, so the 8mm or 2 carat is what I have now. It's just more believable in my real life. My finger is an 8 at the knuckle but 7.5 where they sit Hithead
Good luck!

[-]
  •
09-26-2014, 08:29 PM,
This may help a bit!

One day, I'll be a crazy old lady weighed down by all my baubles and it will be glorious.
[-] The following 1 user Likes MicheleZ's post:
  • MrsK
09-26-2014, 08:31 PM,
I like 10mm! I have a 10mm OEC in an amazing ring by Schubachs and a 10.23 x 9.23 ACC - I've been spoiled and am use to large lol

There's broke....and then there is whatever I am...*cry*
[-]
  •
09-26-2014, 08:34 PM,
I wear an 8mm on a size 7 finger. I've gone as big as 9mm. I am most comfortable with 8mm for me, but like someone else said, size is a personal preference. I think most of the time, shrinkage is more likely than not. I have seen a few ladies day they had reverse shrinkage, but most of the time it seems to be the other way around.

One day, I'll be a crazy old lady weighed down by all my baubles and it will be glorious.
[-]
  •
09-26-2014, 09:20 PM,
Well, I have an almost 9mm AG OEC, and a size 4 finger (so 60% coverage), and while it isn't set yet, I don't think it looks too big for me at all! Wink

If you think the 53% coverage is either perfect or *just a tad* too big sometimes, I'd recommend getting the larger one because most people experience normal shrinkage over time, and if you are losing weight and have to have your rings sized down, you'll be ahead of the curve and your stone will just start to look a little bigger over time, enough to compensate for that pesky shrinkage. Smile If you know what you want, get it! Don't live your life for other people.